TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: GSU Football Year by Year: 2002

1. Default GSU Football Year by Year: 2002

This was the first year of the Sewak era. We lost in the semis after making a great comeback vs. Western Kentucky.

Record: 11-3

Delaware (Lost 22-19)
    Gardner-Webb (Won 56-0)
    Wofford (Lost 14-7)
    Chattanooga (Won 38-10)
    VMI (Won 52-7)
    Western Carolina (Won 41-24)
    Appalachian ST. (Won 36-20)
    Citadel (Won 28-24)
    East Tennessee St. (Won 40-7)
    Furman (Won 42-21)
    Jacksonville St. (Won 41-3)
    Bethune-Cookman (Won 34-0)
    Maine (Won 31-7)
    Western Kentucky (Lost 31-28)

Default Re: GSU Football Year by Year: 2002

My main memory of that WKU game will be their receiver (who caught the long pass near the end of the game to set up the winning TD) getting a 15yd penalty for showboating early in the game. When he came off the field, the coach got in his face and he shoved the coach out of the way to get back to the bench. That was just disgusting.

Record in home conference games on playoff years: 38-1.
    That loss was pretty hard to swallow but somehow I knew we'd turn it around.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Highlight of the year .. 35-0 at halftime over Furman in Greenville. .That was a major a## kicking half of football.

Quote Originally Posted by gsugt1 View Post
    Highlight of the year .. 35-0 at halftime over Furman in Greenville. .That was a major a## kicking half of football.
    That was definitely fun. I skipped Auburn's homecoming game that year (my junior year at Auburn) to go to that one with my dad. Also the game where the armored guy fell of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by AUgradGSUgradstudent View Post
    My main memory of that WKU game will be their receiver (who caught the long pass near the end of the game to set up the winning TD) getting a 15yd penalty for showboating early in the game. When he came off the field, the coach got in his face and he shoved the coach out of the way to get back to the bench. That was just disgusting.
    Imagine if he had done that to PJ.... Honestly if the coaches had any stones they would have sent his arse to the locker room. Sewak might still be our coach if they had.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

That team really hit its stride at WCU and didn't look back until the game against that HUGE WKU team.

GSU had them pinned back around their own 20 and a 4th and 13 with aboput a minute and a half left. WKU converted on a swing pass to the FB (who later played in the NFL and might still be there) and the rest is history.

I really thought that group was going to go all the way.