TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Thoughts on game 7

Default Thoughts on game 7

Another heartbreaker.....here goes.

The Good:

Antonio Henton....Other than the interception at the end of the game, he played a very good game especially running the ball. App couldn't stop him on the qb draw. Wish we would have utilized it on our 2nd to last scoring drive.

Offensive line....They pass blocked pretty well I thought. They had a few screw ups but give App's players some credit. They gave Henton plenty of time most of the time and they blocked really well on the qb draws.

Special teams....We were going to need a big day and they gave it to us. Great job Raja on the punt return. Too bad the other one was called back.

Chris Covington....He played a heck of a game and he put a few licks on Armanti.

Quinton Taylor....Hes the best MLB in the conference. We are seriously going to miss him next year.

The refs....Other than the tripping call that was blatantly missed, I had no problem with any calls and no calls. Glad they let the receivers and DB's battle.

The Bad:

No playoffs....No matter what situation some of you may conjure up, we aren't going. Kinda makes the season seem moot now that we don't have a shot. Makes me almost look forward to basketball.

Defensive gameplan....Maybe not the whole gameplan, but how many times was it going to take for us to adjust to the 10 yard out route that App continually burned us on for 1st down after 1st down. We never seemed to adjust to it because they continually exploited it. I also wish we blitzed more because we got pressure most of the time when we brought it.

Running game....Non existent. We were so good at it last year. I can't figure out for the life of me why we can't get anything going outside of the qb draw. We seriously need to figure this problem out.

The ugly:

Game management on our last two possessions....I don't think I need to say much here other than it was screwed up from the get go. I didn't so much have a problem with how the 1st sequence went with the INT. But the 2nd one once we hit the long play to get into field goal range, I was saying to myself run it, qb draw, get a few more yards, get up let the clock run, spike it and let Mora win it and we go home winner winner chicken dinner. Instead, we try to pass and three things happen when you pass, two are bad. I guess you can say four since we got called for holding and intentional grounding. Just didn't understand the thought processes here.

Coaching....We got out coached on the punt sequence where App forced us to burn a timeout. Not very happy with that but it was well executed by App. But coach, you got to have somebody finding the punter and watching him. I saw him from the get go and knew they were going for it before it seemed we did. I'll give App some credit here though.

The Stupid:

App getting in the gun on the inch line....What the heck was that Jerry Moore? I'm glad you gave us another shot but theres a reason why people don't get in the gun in that situation and you just had it happen. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!! But thanks!

Thoughts:

I know losing inhales vigorously and I know we have a young team yada yada yada. But we have lost to the number 2,3,4 teams in the country by a combined 4 points. Not bad for a bunch of freshman. They are every bit as good as those teams. A coaching blunder here and a coaching blunder there and we lost them all. Its a coaches job to put his players in a position to succeed and at times, I don't feel like thats been the case. I'm not ripping Hatcher but coaches screw up. He just needs to learn from it and get better himself because his team is going to be really really good the next few years. We just can't have these recurring themes come up. Lets get back out there this week and get better. We are playing for next year now. I'd like to see a few more of the freshman that are playing spotty time, get more playing time. I'd like to see David Arnold get some reps at running back because the kid was our best rb signee we got this past year according to the recruiting sites. Tinsley is another I'd like to see get a shot at some more playing time. Oh well I'll be there at the game in two weeks and pulling for the Eagles just as much as I did yesterday.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    Another heartbreaker.....here goes.

The Good:

Antonio Henton....Other than the interception at the end of the game, he played a very good game especially running the ball. App couldn't stop him on the qb draw. Wish we would have utilized it on our 2nd to last scoring drive.

Offensive line....They pass blocked pretty well I thought. They had a few screw ups but give App's players some credit. They gave Henton plenty of time most of the time and they blocked really well on the qb draws.

Special teams....We were going to need a big day and they gave it to us. Great job Raja on the punt return. Too bad the other one was called back.

Chris Covington....He played a heck of a game and he put a few licks on Armanti.

Quinton Taylor....Hes the best MLB in the conference. We are seriously going to miss him next year.

The refs....Other than the tripping call that was blatantly missed, I had no problem with any calls and no calls. Glad they let the receivers and DB's battle.

The Bad:

No playoffs....No matter what situation some of you may conjure up, we aren't going. Kinda makes the season seem moot now that we don't have a shot. Makes me almost look forward to basketball.

Defensive gameplan....Maybe not the whole gameplan, but how many times was it going to take for us to adjust to the 10 yard out route that App continually burned us on for 1st down after 1st down. We never seemed to adjust to it because they continually exploited it. I also wish we blitzed more because we got pressure most of the time when we brought it.

Running game....Non existent. We were so good at it last year. I can't figure out for the life of me why we can't get anything going outside of the qb draw. We seriously need to figure this problem out.

The ugly:

Game management on our last two possessions....I don't think I need to say much here other than it was screwed up from the get go. I didn't so much have a problem with how the 1st sequence went with the INT. But the 2nd one once we hit the long play to get into field goal range, I was saying to myself run it, qb draw, get a few more yards, get up let the clock run, spike it and let Mora win it and we go home winner winner chicken dinner. Instead, we try to pass and three things happen when you pass, two are bad. I guess you can say four since we got called for holding and intentional grounding. Just didn't understand the thought processes here.

Coaching....We got out coached on the punt sequence where App forced us to burn a timeout. Not very happy with that but it was well executed by App. But coach, you got to have somebody finding the punter and watching him. I saw him from the get go and knew they were going for it before it seemed we did. I'll give App some credit here though.

The Stupid:

App getting in the gun on the inch line....What the heck was that Jerry Moore? I'm glad you gave us another shot but theres a reason why people don't get in the gun in that situation and you just had it happen. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!! But thanks!

Thoughts:

I know losing inhales vigorously and I know we have a young team yada yada yada. But we have lost to the number 2,3,4 teams in the country by a combined 4 points. Not bad for a bunch of freshman. They are every bit as good as those teams. A coaching blunder here and a coaching blunder there and we lost them all. Its a coaches job to put his players in a position to succeed and at times, I don't feel like thats been the case. I'm not ripping Hatcher but coaches screw up. He just needs to learn from it and get better himself because his team is going to be really really good the next few years. We just can't have these recurring themes come up. Lets get back out there this week and get better. We are playing for next year now. I'd like to see a few more of the freshman that are playing spotty time, get more playing time. I'd like to see David Arnold get some reps at running back because the kid was our best rb signee we got this past year according to the recruiting sites. Tinsley is another I'd like to see get a shot at some more playing time. Oh well I'll be there at the game in two weeks and pulling for the Eagles just as much as I did yesterday.

I'll agree with the meat of this post. I also am not ready to blast the old ballcoach for making mistakes. He needs to remember that the taste of losses is supposed to be a reminder to HIM as well as the players.

I think the best thing we can do as fans in this situation is to avoid the ridiculous, "Hatcher is a crap coach", "Fire him, get a new coach" etc etc. My reasoning here is that perhaps we should kinda allow him freedom from that crap for a while so that he doesn't feel the need to react defensively to the constant bombardment from the fanbase.

Remember, our players aren't the only ones who are "young". I just hope that Hatcher considers talking to a few other coaches about late-game management and offensive adjustments to take the clock in to consideration. From my perspective, it appears that the taste of victory lured the coaching staff into some questionable playcalling. They abandoned the aspects of the game that had been working the most reliably, (the aforementioned QB draw) and 5-8 yard out routes would DEFINATELY have been the way to go for clock management, from my undereducated perspective.

I feel basically the same as everyone else. I just wish we had tried to keep the ball on the ground at the end of the game when we in control. Not only before Henton threw the pick on the 1 yard line, but also after the safety and the big pass to Camp.

In both situations I think we almost tried too hard.

One positive do I do not think anyone else has mentioned is that it now appears that we have an offensive scheme for the goal line. I believe yesterday’s game was the first time this year that I have seen GSU line up some big guys on the line (no running backs, no receivers) and just push the ball over the line. In other games we have gotten down inside the 5 and could not score.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltopay View Post
    One positive do I do not think anyone else has mentioned is that it now appears that we have an offensive scheme for the goal line. I believe yesterday’s game was the first time this year that I have seen GSU line up some big guys on the line (no running backs, no receivers) and just push the ball over the line. In other games we have gotten down inside the 5 and could not score.
    We lined it up a few times like that this year. I think we just need to run it like that everytime we get down there. Nobody can stop it if its executed.

Oh and tack on under the good or thoughts or whatever but I LOVED THE BLUE PANTS with the blue tops. Very good look and I'd wear it every week if I could. I know we won't but it looks extremely sharp.

Blue pants looked awesome.

Great post as always Chad, thanks.

8. Default

I am proud of the kids for not quitting especially the defense when they made the safety. It would have been easy for them to fold and give Edward's five or six yards and allow him to kneel it out.

I know everyone is saying the year is over, but these are freshmen who have lost to 3 top ranked teams by a combined 4 points. I think the future bodes well for our program.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post

Thoughts:

Great post, and I agree with almost everything, except...

The "We are a young team" excuse doesn't work on the defensive side. Lots of juniors and seniors playing over on that side of the ball. We are NOT a young team on the defense. We are just a very, very bad defensive team. In our 3 FCS losses, we've given up right at 1,500 yards. That's obscene. Key stat of the game yesterday... App State, 2nd half, Zero punts. That's your ball game right there. The defense makes just one stop, and we're all celebrating a huge win. Opposing teams move the ball against us at will, and our defense never seems to have enough backbone to rise up and make a stand. If we have even a mediocre defense, we've got a 6-1 record right now. But, our D isn't even mediocre. It's bad. Very bad. Not sure if it's a lack of athletes or poor coaching, but that is definitely the problem with the team right now.

I think the Offense will shine for the next few years, but they are going to have to get some help from the other side of the ball to pull out some games.
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

Three things can happen when you pass the ball and 2 of them are bad.....sigh......

While I agree that we should have kept it on the ground at the end, there are several bad things that can happen when you run the ball. Nothing is a guarantee, otherwise games would be won and lost on paper.

Technically, what App did with the punt deception could have been a penalty. The NCAA doesn't allow a great deal of deception (having outlawed deceptive plays in the past), and having both your punt team and offense on the field at the same time would have fallen under an excessive deception penalty. But I mean, if you can miss a lineman swinging his leg out like a damn ballerina to try trip someone I guess it's too much to ask for a ref to notice these kinds of things.