TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Academic Question

Default Academic Question

Sorry if this has come up in the past & I just haven't seen it. I know the GTREP (Georgia Tech Regional Engineering Program) is offered at Georgia Southern, where basically students go to school at Georgia Southern but are able to earn a Georgia Tech Engineering degree. I don't know all the details of this program but I believe all core classes are taught by Georgia Southern professors and once students get to the classes in their area of study, they take GT classes taught by Georgia Tech professors, whether by videoconference or otherwise, but they're able to stay at GSU.

My question is...these people receive a degree that says Georgia Institute of Technology, but I believe they're enrolled at Georgia Southern, possibly living on campus, etc. I don't know how GT is compensated for the classes they're providing professors for. Are athletes able to enroll in this program and compete on Georgia Southern's athletic teams?

If this is an option, that could be a great selling point if looking for football transfers from GT.

Default Re: Academic Question

The core classes are taught at GSU while being a GSU student.

After completing the core curriculum, you CEASE to be a GSU student and enroll as a GT student. All fees go to GSU because you are using their facilities and are on their campus, but you are no longer a student so your tuition goes to Ga Tech. THAT'S how the professors are paid. There is also a Savannah campus that students have to travel to for certain classes like labs. Any GSU class you take after that point is accepted by Ga Tech as a transfer credit at that point, you receive no points to your Ga Tech GPA, just credit for the class. That's why you only have to make a C and it doesn't affect your GPA.

When you graduate, you receive a degree from the Georgia Institute of Technology. The only difference is that it says GTREP right under your name. Your official graduation ceremony takes place in Atlanta on the Ga Tech campus. I chose to attend GSU's ceremony, basically because that's really where my heart is.

I imagine there would have to be an inquiry to the NCAA about whether or not students of Ga Tech could be an athlete on a GSU team. Shooting from the hip, I'd have to say it's not possible.

Not to side-track the discussion, but it would be a great thing if Dr. Keel could work to evolve the GTREP program into a GSU College of Engineering.

4. Default Re: Academic Question

I had a friend of mine that was part of the first class to graduate from that Engineering program. Told me his degree is from Tech, you can walk at Tech graduation ceremony but walked here since all his friends were GSU students.

Eaglewraith, good point - I'd also say no, since the program started there in what, 2000 or so, not a single player to my knowledge was in the Engineering program.

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    I had a friend of mine that was part of the first class to graduate from that Engineering program. Told me his degree is from Tech, you can walk at Tech graduation ceremony but walked here since all his friends were GSU students.

Eaglewraith, good point - I'd also say no, since the program started there in what, 2000 or so, not a single player to my knowledge was in the Engineering program.
    I graduated from the program in 2006. I chose to walk in Statesboro mainly cause that's where I consider myself as being from. I have yet to give any money to Ga Tech since I graduated. However unfortunately I am not an alumni of GSU.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I graduated from the program in 2006. I chose to walk in Statesboro mainly cause that's where I consider myself as being from. I have yet to give any money to Ga Tech since I graduated. However unfortunately I am not an alumni of GSU.
    I believe that if you attended GSU then you are an alumni of GSU. Ask Frank Hook or someone in the alum office. I do not believe that you must graduate to be an alum.
    "You should always expect to get back less than you put in. Thus, if you put nothing in, you should expect to get less than nothing back"

AlumNUS.

You're not an alumNUS (by your own definition anyways)

For the record, the definition says "graduate or former student"
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    AlumNUS.

You're not an alumNUS (by your own definition anyways)

For the record, the definition says "graduate or former student"
    Blah blah blah...I'm an engineer. I don't care about grammar.

Or handwriting.

I know a guy that is in the last year of the GTREP program and is still allowed to compete on the GSU wrestling team. Not sure about the D-1 competition sports though.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBlue View Post
    I know a guy that is in the last year of the GTREP program and is still allowed to compete on the GSU wrestling team. Not sure about the D-1 competition sports though.
    Is that a club sport or NCAA sanctioned?