TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on game 4

Spot on with the analysis. Only thing I might disagree with is saying the defense was adequate. With the game on the line they did not get it done.

The fact is Elon was a much better coached team than our eagles and that is sad. We are not well schooled in the fundamentals of football. Kicking game is not sound, tackling is poor and our run defense is poor. I remember that our successful coaches all had the thought that we were gonna run the ball first and stop the run first. Elon doesn't run the ball and they had one guy run for 160 yards.

Call it what you want: little league FB, high school Fb, street ball or whatever. I know one thing for sure, IT AIN'T EAGLE FOOTBALL.

FWIW, Hatcher needs to stop making excuses about us being so young. Good coaches don't do that and I don't want the coach of my team doing that either.

This team is not nearly as prepared as the first team Coach Russell put on the field 28 years ago. And that really is a sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    When you can't line up and get 2 yards for a touchdown, its a problem. Tell your offensive linemen to block the man in front of you because you are better than they are and get the 6 points because you have got to have them. Don't run the craptastic gimmic offense we run down there that tries to fool people rather than just getting the job done the old fashioned way.
    Ah yes, now that our O linemen no longer operate from a 3 point stance & no longer "fire off the ball" on the snap, it's no wonder that our "red zone mentality" has changed.

Used to be you won football games by running the ball effectively, doing whatever it took to stop the run on defense, moving the chains, scoring touchdowns, playing good scoring defense, & not turning the ball over. The passing game was used to make the run game better, but the run game was the "bread & butter" that got you the "W's". Yep, if you've got 2 downs to get'um you better be able to "get 2 yards for a touchdown". 6 points is more than 3 points every day of the week.

Like I said elsewhere, our "red zone offensive execution" cost us the game last night. I hope it gets "fixed" in practice this week.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GSUwinsagain View Post
    A short yardage package would be nice. Lining up in a shotgun at the 2 ????? Buckle your chin strap, line up with 2 tight, a fb, and dare someone to stop you. Maybe jump over the top like ET used to. Put the Qb under center and do a qb sneak. The spread option was getting stuffed, but all we tried.
    I like a jumbo set at the goal line...no matter what Hatcher runs, I will always be preferential to the classic goal line set. Here's the problem and for what it's worth, I played O and d line in high school and I wouldn't have to be to recognize that our line was getting absolutely perforated by their defenseive players...in that case, as was mentioned before...what do you do?

If your O line is getting chewed, you can't "smash" it in there, because the push is going backward. inhales vigorously but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEoghan View Post
    I like a jumbo set at the goal line...no matter what Hatcher runs, I will always be preferential to the classic goal line set. Here's the problem and for what it's worth, I played O and d line in high school and I wouldn't have to be to recognize that our line was getting absolutely perforated by their defenseive players...in that case, as was mentioned before...what do you do?

If your O line is getting chewed, you can't "smash" it in there, because the push is going backward. inhales vigorously but it's true.
    Lot's of folks didn't realize how good our O line has been over the years. Last year they were good. However, it's gotta be tough to get that "push" if you aren't "firing off the ball as a unit" on most every play. We don't do that anymore, do we?

Although the defense has issues-bad tackling, no QB pressure etc- they only gave up 22 points.

IMO this game was lost on offense.

Poor and inconsistent play calling, We got under center and made a 4th and one on on a QB sneak but we cant get under center inside the 5? The only offensive TD we got, we used a lot of short passes and mixed them very well, why not stick with what we are successful with. Throwing long on 1st down is a good option but not on third down.

IMO The worst part on this game however was our last offensive possession. We were just coming off a succseeful TD drive and Henton has his rhythm going, so we try to run
    clock by him standing in the shotgun and letting the play clock run down to 4 seconds before a snap. This took him out of rhythm. We needed a series of first downs to run clock, we needed to play our normal game. Standing there and letting the play clock run took us out of rhythm. This may have been the worst series of offensive plays in a crucial situation that I have witnessed in the history of GSU football.

The season is still young and we have the same record as App ST. Go Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    They were not clearly better than us. They made 1 more play than we did.
    If we play them up there, we lose by two touchdowns. Our offense scored 13 points. We have no rhythm on that side of the ball. Almost every run play was gobbled up immediately, and almost every pass play turned into Henton improvising. When you can barely run a play the way it's drawn up, that's a problem. When you struggle to complete 50% of your passes in this offense, that's a probem. And I don't see that getting better this year or next; it takes time to build an offensive line.

To me, that's a bigger concern than the defense. If you hold a team to 22 points in the Socon, you should win.

You guys are insane. Elon is a top 15 team. Richmond that they lost to is a top 5 team. We struggled on the offensive line last night. That is the end all for or problems on offense right there. It changes the coaches playcalling because we couldn't provide adequate protection for deeper routes. Henton was running for his life on most passing plays. The reason we didn't line up in a "classic" goaline offense is because that ISN'T or offense. When you change things all of a sudden kids will get confused or make a mistake.

Everybody chill with the wanting to fire the coaches and turn back into 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Our defense is still not very good, but is oppurtunistic and hopefully things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    If we play them up there, we lose by two touchdowns. Our offense scored 13 points. We have no rhythm on that side of the ball. Almost every run play was gobbled up immediately, and almost every pass play turned into Henton improvising. When you can barely run a play the way it's drawn up, that's a problem. When you struggle to complete 50% of your passes in this offense, that's a probem. And I don't see that getting better this year or next; it takes time to build an offensive line.

To me, that's a bigger concern than the defense. If you hold a team to 22 points in the Socon, you should win.
    I don't give a crap if they beat us up there by two scores. LAST NIGHT they were not CLEARLY BETTER than us.

Quote Originally Posted by MaconEagle View Post
    You guys are insane. Elon is a top 15 team. Richmond that they lost to is a top 5 team. We struggled on the offensive line last night. That is the end all for or problems on offense right there. It changes the coaches playcalling because we couldn't provide adequate protection for deeper routes. Henton was running for his life on most passing plays. The reason we didn't line up in a "classic" goaline offense is because that ISN'T or offense. When you change things all of a sudden kids will get confused or make a mistake.

Everybody chill with the wanting to fire the coaches and turn back into 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Our defense is still not very good, but is oppurtunistic and hopefully things will get better.
    So we can't run that jumbo set with Urbano taking the snap that we like to run on short yardage?

If you can't run a goal line set or get confused by not realizing how to block the guy in front of you, GO PLAY INTERMURALS! THIS IS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL! THATS WHAT COACHING IS FOR! We can run all these stupid screen plays but we can't run a play to get 2 yards. You better come up with something better than that buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEoghan View Post

Yep, that's what controlled everything. They were getting pressure on the passing game with only a 3 or 4 man rush, hardly blitzed at all because it wasn't necessary. It left a lot of people to stuff the run. The O line got owned.