TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on game 4

Default Thoughts on game 4

I slept on this so I wouldn't post anything reactionary while I was mad. So here's my toned down version of my thoughts this week.

The Good:

the defense.....They played adequate. Probably the best they have played all year. They gave up too many yards but kept us in the game.

The Bad:

our coaching.....I hated our playcalling last night once again. We run the same crap over and over again i.e.....Henton on a direct run. HES NOT TIM TEBOW OR JAYSON FOSTER HATCHER. I don't give two s$$$$ how big he is. Elon was ready for that play and you ran it over and over. Kudos to being hard headed. And our goal line playcalling. I won't even get started there. Can we get lined up on defense? How long does it take to call in a play? If it takes that long, CHANGE SOMETHING ANDERS because if you don't, your butt isn't going to be here much longer. Same for you too Hatcher, you better do something buddy because I've seen better games called on a playstation than the crap you pulled last night.

defensive players.....Stop worrying about the dang crowd and focus on the team you are trying to stop. You can't get lined up before they can snap it but you've got time to wave your arms up and down. The crowd will get loud. Just do your job.

The ugly:

our tackling.....HOW LONG BEFORE WE CAN TACKLE ANDERS? We couldn't do it last year. We dang sure can't do it this year. Its a huge problem. I watch high school teams every week that tackle better than we do. And we are supposed to be a division 1 football team? We look like pop warner kids out there trying to tackle. It finally cost us a game.

Thoughts:

Last night was one of the most ridiculous games I've ever seen. Elon was not that good and we pissed around until they beat us. Hatcher's gameplan last night for our offense was atrocious. I don't care if we couldn't run the ball. We were moving the ball when we threw downfield but he was intent on running some of those BS screen plays and quarterback draws. But we will hear the excuses about how young we are and how great Elon is from the coaches and all I'll do is laugh at them because if you believe that garbage, then you need to take off the Chris Hatcher blinders. I better stop before I really say something but last night was on the coaches plain and simple.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me proof that Elon is "not that good", unless you consider a top 25 team "not that good".

Also, about the offensive play-calling, what are you supposed to do inside the opposing team's 10 when your running game is being stuffed?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to show me proof that Elon is "not that good", unless you consider a top 25 team "not that good".

Also, about the offensive play-calling, what are you supposed to do inside the opposing team's 10 when your running game is being stuffed?
    A short yardage package would be nice. Lining up in a shotgun at the 2 ????? Buckle your chin strap, line up with 2 tight, a fb, and dare someone to stop you. Maybe jump over the top like ET used to. Put the Qb under center and do a qb sneak. The spread option was getting stuffed, but all we tried.
    To whom much is given, much is expected.

I thought Elon was pretty good. That new running game is what makes them better than last year.

They looked clearly better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I thought Elon was pretty good. That new running game is what makes them better than last year.

They looked clearly better than us.
    They were not clearly better than us. They made 1 more play than we did.

When you can't line up and get 2 yards for a touchdown, its a problem. Tell your offensive linemen to block the man in front of you because you are better than they are and get the 6 points because you have got to have them. Don't run the craptastic gimmic offense we run down there that tries to fool people rather than just getting the job done the old fashioned way.

7. Default

We were top 25 as well....we ain't that good. Defense is aweful and offense isnt much better.

not being able to score inside the 5 is a disgrace.....what offense are we running? The Run and Shoot? Hatcher was good at Valdosta...maybe he shoulda stayed.

Let's see, this says it pretty well from another thread. In other words, here's your proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Just looked up some depressing stats...this great Elon team had all of 259 yards against Richmond(22 rushing yards), 259 yards against Stony Brook(18 yards rushing). Stoney Brook, are you kidding?! Compare that to our game where they had 509 yards(201 rushing). Wow.
    So, Richmond and frickin' Stoney Brook held this top 25 Elon team to less than 300 yards of total offense and we gave up 509....AT HOME. Elon ain't that good. The bad news is we're worse.

And you know what you're suppose to do inside the 10 yard line? You're supposed to line up in something other than the damn shotgun. Especially when you don't have a 6' 6" receiver who can catch the fade. That's the absolute worst thing about the spread.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GSUwinsagain View Post
    A short yardage package would be nice. Lining up in a shotgun at the 2 ????? Buckle your chin strap, line up with 2 tight, a fb, and dare someone to stop you. Maybe jump over the top like ET used to. Put the Qb under center and do a qb sneak. The spread option was getting stuffed, but all we tried.
    Just a question. Where are the fullbacks and tight ends on this team? I have not seen any yet, and I suspect the reason is that we don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamfan View Post
    Just a question. Where are the fullbacks and tight ends on this team? I have not seen any yet, and I suspect the reason is that we don't have any.
    We don't have a fullback or tight end. I told someone with me last night we really need to get a fullback.

But we do have those jumbo packages where we send in a couple of extra offensive linemen. I don't see a reason why we didn't do that last night rather than lining up in the pistol and getting stuffed.