TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Story on GA Southern football scheduling

Default Re: Story on GA Southern football scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Bummer, hate to hear that we are unable to find a 12th game.
    Maybe we didn't want one? Maybe they want the extra week for the team to prepare.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

2. Default Re: Story on GA Southern football scheduling

Haven't checked the forums in awhile, but for all flack that Monken has taken on this forum, I find it hard to believe that nobody is talking about the Army game

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    All indications are that we aren't actively seeking out a Sept. 5 opponent.
    That's fine.

It was either FCS or nothing for me.

It's already going to be a tough season with all the protocols, I'm cool with making it as easy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    That's fine.

It was either FCS or nothing for me.

It's already going to be a tough season with all the protocols, I'm cool with making it as easy as possible.
    I just realized there's more than 1 way to interpret Mike's post. "Not actively seeking an opponent" isn't the same as "we won't have one". Wouldn't be surprised to see the conference add in some non-conference games between Sun Belt teams in Septmeber.

As of now:
    App has 4.5 weeks to prep for UL-L, who will get a week to prepare for App
    ULM will have their first game September 19 against Texas State, and that will be Texas State's 3rd game with only a week to prep
    Coastal Carolina's first scheduled game is October 3rd against Ark State, that will be Ark State's 5th game (I don't even know which team that favors).

I bet some coaches and ADs have raised concerns. Now does the conference just shrug their shoulders and say "tough break, man" or do they put some non-conference games between belt teams in the early weeks and have asked members to keep early weeks open.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 13th August 2020 at 02:33 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I just realized there's more than 1 way to interpret Mike's post. "Not actively seeking an opponent" isn't the same as "we won't have one". Wouldn't be surprised to see the conference add in some non-conference games between Sun Belt teams in Septmeber.

As of now:
    App has 4.5 weeks to prep for UL-L, who will get a week to prepare for App
    ULM will have their first game September 19 against Texas State, and that will be Texas State's 3rd game with only a week to prep
    Coastal Carolina's first scheduled game is October 3rd against Ark State, that will be Ark State's 5th game (I don't even know which team that favors).

I bet some coaches and ADs have raised concerns. Now does the conference just shrug their shoulders and say "tough break, man" or do they put some non-conference games between belt teams in the early weeks and have asked members to keep early weeks open.
    Or we're just not seeking an opponent....

Also, App has added Campbell on 9/26

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Maybe we didn't want one? Maybe they want the extra week for the team to prepare.
    We would probably only want a money game to replace the Boise game. We could add another travel G5 game, but we most likely pay our travel cost if there is no return game. Why pay $200k to travel and then maybe lose the game?

I like our hold tight strategy and maybe a P5 game comes our way.
    'Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.' - Darrell Royal

Quote Originally Posted by gsudarlin View Post
    Or we're just not seeking an opponent....

Also, App has added Campbell on 9/26

Got to feed the camel! Sounds like CL wants another week for fine tuning. I'm good with that.

8. Default Re: Story on GA Southern football scheduling

The tough part about trying to find a Sept 5th opponent is that everyday we don't fill that slot is another day we don't have to prepare for that game if it is eventually filled. I say at this point just leave it open. 11 games is plenty to have a successful season, and I'd so much rather be prepared to pulverize Campbell on the 12th than be scrambling to prepare for an LSU-type situation and stumble around the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    The tough part about trying to find a Sept 5th opponent is that everyday we don't fill that slot is another day we don't have to prepare for that game if it is eventually filled. I say at this point just leave it open. 11 games is plenty to have a successful season, and I'd so much rather be prepared to pulverize Campbell on the 12th than be scrambling to prepare for an LSU-type situation and stumble around the rest of the season.
    100% agreed. I would prefer all of our season openers to be against an FCS opponent that isn't named Maine or New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    100% agreed. I would prefer all of our season openers to be against an FCS opponent that isn't named Maine or New Hampshire
    or NDSU, JMU.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"