TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivy then Big Ten who is next?

Default Ivy then Big Ten who is next?

With the Ivy League (FCS) canceling the season and now the Big 10 dropping everything but conference games does it seem like it is time for someone to just make a decision already? I am afraid the conferences will do this one by one, both Power 5 and G 5, until the season is either a 7 game conference only thing, or the season is just gone.
    We are cash strapped as it is, no season, or even this truncated one with just conference games and no fans will destroy our conference I am afraid.
    Two months ago, when the curve looked better I was hoping for a few games with at least a few fans in the stands, but at this point I will just be happy to see a game.
    I hope I am wrong, but I think at this point it looks more likely that something drastic will happen to this season.
    With all that being said, public health and the health of the players and coaches are more important than a few games will be.
    I just worry about what it will do to our, and many more college athletic departments both in our conference and around the country. I think this is the beginning of the 80 team super 5 conference self-governing and everyone else dropping back to a FCS-style NCAA controlled division that will be called "lesser" football again.
    Hard to find a silver lining in all this at this point.

Default Re: Ivy then Big Ten who is next?

While I would fully understand the CFB season being completely shelved, I'm not sure I'm buying the storyline that it's the financial end of college sports. Most if not all colleges and universities have endowments; I believe GS's endowment stands around $64M, which is just a tick below the national average for ranked schools ($65.1M). For contrast, UGA's endowment is +/- $1.3B.

These are assets/investments held by the institutions to insure their ability to accomplish their mission "in perpetuity" as it were. I'd also assume that using part of these rainy day funds would require significant discussion prior to any vote for approval on a one-time emergency, so I don't see a one-season shut down as a death-knell for all but the most poorly run/funded schools. And if their finances were that bad before...one more season of athletics-derived income wasn't going to right the ship. As responsible adults we're supposed to plan for emergencies...does anyone think the USG or any other state higher ed governing body would let their institutions run on financial fumes?
    Last edited by eagle#58; 9th July 2020 at 11:20 PM.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

A month ago I saw hope now not sure that there will be a season at all. It is almost the middle of July and the first kickoff would be in about 6 -7 weeks. Teams are back at practice but I suspect that the majority of them have had players, coaches, support staff test positive at one point and will continue to do so. I can't remember which sports network I just saw it on but there was a ticker at the bottom across the screen that basically said "football is running out of time". I don't see how this is going to magically go away by Labor Day Weekend. If the season is shortened I do not see any bowl games or a national champion crowned this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    With the Ivy League (FCS) canceling the season and now the Big 10 dropping everything but conference games does it seem like it is time for someone to just make a decision already? I am afraid the conferences will do this one by one, both Power 5 and G 5, until the season is either a 7 game conference only thing, or the season is just gone.
    We are cash strapped as it is, no season, or even this truncated one with just conference games and no fans will destroy our conference I am afraid.
    Two months ago, when the curve looked better I was hoping for a few games with at least a few fans in the stands, but at this point I will just be happy to see a game.
    I hope I am wrong, but I think at this point it looks more likely that something drastic will happen to this season.
    With all that being said, public health and the health of the players and coaches are more important than a few games will be.
    I just worry about what it will do to our, and many more college athletic departments both in our conference and around the country. I think this is the beginning of the 80 team super 5 conference self-governing and everyone else dropping back to a FCS-style NCAA controlled division that will be called "lesser" football again.
    Hard to find a silver lining in all this at this point.
    ”......than a few games will be....?”. Unfortunately imo, a “few games” will turn into a “few” seasons lost. All of course for the health of these 18-22 year old athletes. Imo, we either play now or see you in Sept 2022, maybe by then we will all have taken our Covid19 and flu shots.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Who the heck knows?

All bets are off.

I have often been accused of being a pessimist, but I have no idea how this thing keeps getting worse and worse. This stupid virus has continually outrun my worst-case fears, and now itís in turbo-boost.

Itís just apocalyptic at this point.

If this carries on into 2021, we will have a lot bigger stuff to worry about than sports
    Apocalyptic?

Come on man...there's hyperbole and then there's hyperbole.

My name is Buzz Killington and even I'm not worried about a virus with like a 98% survival rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Apocalyptic?

Come on man...there's hyperbole and then there's hyperbole.

My name is Buzz Killington and even I'm not worried about a virus with like a 98% survival rate.
    Buzz I’m with you but unfortunately “fear” is back and that is what is driving the decisions, see Ivy League, Big10, soon the Pac12 and on and on. And ANY idea that it will be better come spring time is absurd. My point the last few days is stop “pulling the bandage off slowly”, it just hurts longer, yank that thing off and cancel all of college sports until a vaccine is available OR, play college sports. It be nice to see the SEC or our SBC come out today and say, We are playing no matter what. Unfortunately we just going to see a bunch of tip toeing around when everyone knows in 4-6 months it isn’t going to be any better on the Covid19 front. I’m not being negative at all just being a realist.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    States have to balance their budgets.

Unlike the fed, they can't build ponzi schemes which would get normal citizens thrown in prison.

I think the main factor is the time horizon for covid.

If it's only a few months, no big deal. If it's a whole season, kinda big deal. If it lasts a couple seasons, we may as well turn Paulson into a flower garden.
    What does states having to balance their budgets and colleges/universities using invested assets to cover unexpected expenses have to do with Ponzi schemes? When your water heater kicks the bucket, does Lowes ask you where your money came from to fix it? Do you not take from your savings and then work to build it back up, or do you just let the rest of the house fall down around you...

And for the record...if anyone believes Covid 19 will at one point just disappear from the face of the world, they're watching too many Saturday morning cartoons. Its here to stay in some form or another, just like every other coronavirus out there. We'll adapt and overcome, but itll never be gone. If we're still locking down after this summer we've got bigger problems.
    Last edited by eagle#58; 10th July 2020 at 07:12 AM.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

To answer the title of the thread: SEC is next but with the way the conferences are now, they are more spread out. You think Ohio St/Michigan/Illinois etc are going to do a day trip to NYC/Rutgers or vice versa? Teams will still have to fly to play conference teams. UGA isn't going to bus to Missouri or LSU or vice versa, or TAMU.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we lose out of $600K from the spring cancellations between basketball and baseball? Throw in Ole Miss payday and that's a $2.2M shortfall. Remember that money helps pay for the non revenue sports.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    To answer the title of the thread: SEC is next but with the way the conferences are now, they are more spread out. You think Ohio St/Michigan/Illinois etc are going to do a day trip to NYC/Rutgers or vice versa? Teams will still have to fly to play conference teams. UGA isn't going to bus to Missouri or LSU or vice versa, or TAMU.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't we lose out of $600K from the spring cancellations between basketball and baseball? Throw in Ole Miss payday and that's a $2.2M shortfall. Remember that money helps pay for the non revenue sports.
    now just for conversation, what if we don’t play all of next season?, what kind of financial hit would that be? Unless we push forward and play, this is looking pretty ugly. Western Carolina still in SOCON?, we use to have some hard hitting chippy football games with them.

10. Default Re: Ivy then Big Ten who is next?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post

True, but you also have to factor in the cost reduction of not feeding, sheltering and flying 100+ people to Mississippi, Louisiana, Idaho, etc.