TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    So take the 1 million dollar loss.

Literally every other G5 has.
    Yeah, that makes sense when our school is facing an $11 million budget cut.

2. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense when our school is facing an $11 million budget cut.
    Thatís a new development, letís not act like that has been the norm, or like we are unique in experiencing some financial challenges right now.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Thatís a new development, letís not act like that has been the norm, or like we are unique in experiencing some financial challenges right now.
    Whatís been the norm is us having a bottom 10% FBS budget but our fan base expecting us to inhale a million bucks just to say we played Wake Forest in Paulson. Give me home and homes with Boise State, Houston, BYU instead.

4. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Whatís been the norm is us having a bottom 10% FBS budget but our fan base expecting us to inhale a million bucks just to say we played Wake Forest in Paulson. Give me home and homes with Boise State, Houston, BYU instead.
    That WF game (using your example) could break the ACC seal for us... we are limiting ourselves by thinking like a poor bottom 10% program if we act like that WF game (or Houston) is the climax, or the end goal. Itís not, itís just the next step to bigger games.

App State understands that and letís reevaluate the perception of our two programs in a few years and see who is winning in the CFB court of public opinion.

What’s been the norm is us having a bottom 10% FBS budget but our fan base expecting us to inhale a million bucks just to say we played Wake Forest in Paulson. Give me home and homes with Boise State, Houston, BYU instead.
    come on it’s just a million dollars. You know I have no comprehension of what a million dollars is yet I find myself talking a lot of times as if a million dollars is 100.00.(smile).

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    This is the key.

We don’t want to take the financial hit.

(I think that’s short-sighted. Any decent P5 would result in a lot of local business and a lot of ancillary profits.....)

Maybe we can start a fund of some sort. I know I would be happy to contribute to a ‘P5 in Paulson’ fund to defray the hit to the program. Especially if we could snag a geographically advantageous school.

Any P5 within driving distance would fill Paulson-no question. Except GT.
    jcountry, this I think is a good idea.

This may fall on def ears but GS is better than that. It's not what we do. We do things the hard way always have.

If it doesn't benefit financially we're not interested. Our fans will be there anyway.

Our fans are sniffing the big time. It's coming. We can thank the university system of Ga for our position.

It's a good one and we're all alone south of Atlanta. Two coaches in our history put some cold water on the fire.

Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    That WF game (using your example) could break the ACC seal for us... we are limiting ourselves by thinking like a poor bottom 10% program if we act like that WF game (or Houston) is the climax, or the end goal. Itís not, itís just the next step to bigger games.

App State understands that and letís reevaluate the perception of our two programs in a few years and see who is winning in the CFB court of public opinion.
    So we gamble a 5% of our annual athletic budget that a game could break the seal for us? Maybe we can lose at home 45-10 like App did in their first P5 home game.

How about we instead focus on a P5 home and home instead of a 2 for 1 by building up our football teamís prestige, fan base, donors and wins. That will drive P5 teams to be willing to travel to play us.

The reality is that none of us know exactly what has kept us from hosting a P5 school. We donít have enough information either way to say what it is. But, every email TK sent and received using his university email address is available through a foia request. All somebody would have to do is request emails regarding football scheduling. It may take some time to read through but you could find some of the correspondence between him and other athletic directors. I imagine most of these conversations happened over the phone, but I bet there would be some interesting tid bits in the emails.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    The reality is that none of us know exactly what has kept us from hosting a P5 school. We donít have enough information either way to say what it is.
    TK has stated publicly we have had P5 2 for 1 opportunities in the past we have turned down because they donít make financial sense. Thatís not conjecture.