TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 20 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Default What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

If Charlotte can host Ole Miss in a 15,000 stadium what is really keeping us from landing a P5? Coastal has Kansas coming in this year and WKU has Indiana at home next year and all three of these schools have smaller stadiums than Paulson.

https://twitter.com/davidscott14/status/...45664?s=20

Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

Quote Originally Posted by GPC View Post
    If Charlotte can host Ole Miss in a 15,000 stadium what is really keeping us from landing a P5? Coastal has Kansas coming in this year and WKU has Indiana at home next year and all three of these schools have smaller stadiums than Paulson.

when your not sure of the answer, fall back on “money”, that is what I imagine why we can get even a crummy P5 in here.

is it a 2 for 1?

if so, then that's the reason. Through the reign of TK we were not willing to make that deal
    ADJB may be different
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Not sure about the Kansas or Indiana games but the Charlotte/Ole Miss is just a H&H.

Not sure about the Kansas or Indiana games but the Charlotte/Ole Miss is just a H&H.
    ok, we play a P5 at Paulson rather than playing that P5 at their field. If we play them at their ball park they write us a nice big check which supports our small budget, we play them here, no check(a hit to our budget). I don’t know if ULM is still doing it but they had a run where they were prostituting themselves 3 times a season(playing 3 P5’s on the road). Pretty much starting each bowl season 0-3. I’m not sure playing a P5 at home is worth losing a million dollars. Would I like to see one at Paulson?, heck yes, but I’m not sure it makes good business sense.

6. Default Re: What is really keeping us from hosting a P5 school?

The excuse: "Paulson isn't big enough."

Schools with less seating than Paulson have or are going to host Power 5 schools.

The excuse: "Nobody wants to come to Statesboro."

Are Troy, AL, Ruston, LA, Jonesboro AR, Bowling Green, KY, Hattiesburg, MS, etc. really that much better/more accessible than Statesboro? The schools in all these small southern towns have hosted or scheduled Power 5 teams to play them at home.

The excuse: "We can't afford it."

I find it extremely hard to believe we're the only G5 school that can't budget around missing a payday game for one year. According to USA Today, there are 13 G5 schools with a smaller athletic budget than us and 10 of those 13 have or are going to host a Power 5 team.

The excuse: "Power 5 teams near us don't travel to G5 schools."

South Carolina, UNC, NCST, Wake Forest, Miami, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State have all played or will play at one of our conference mate's stadiums. South Carolina is the closest Power 5 school to Statesboro.

The excuse: "They are scared to schedule us."

Come on now...

The excuse: "There's no incentive for them to come to Statesboro."

The recruiting area is the best thing going for Statesboro. According to BatchGeo, Georgia and Florida are two of the top 5 states for division 1 athletes in the country. Some of the top cities for talent are Jacksonville, Tampa, Charlotte, and Atlanta, all within an easy day's drive of Statesboro.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    The excuse: "We can't afford it."

I find it extremely hard to believe we're the only G5 school that can't budget around missing a payday game for one year. According to USA Today, there are 13 G5 schools with a smaller athletic budget than us and 10 of those 13 have or are going to host a Power 5 team.
    I've never understood this one either. If we agree that there is some notoriety gain/intangible benefit to hosting a P5, but we are worried about missing out on the money for the Away part of the H&H, why not just schedule 2 other road P5 payday games that year. So the unpaid P5 replaces an unpaid G5 H&H leg rather than replacing one of the money games. I know that's not ideal, but you could for sure do an FCS home game that year so you have 5 home games minimum. This seems like common sense, so my conclusion is that our leadership does not (or at least has not) agreed with my bolded assertion.

We are the only G5 to have never hosted a P5 or have one on the schedule.

It's something that really needs to change.

We could have hosted a P5 years ago through a 2 for 1. Which one of you is going to pony up the $1 million we’d lose to cover it?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    We could have hosted a P5 years ago through a 2 for 1. Which one of you is going to pony up the $1 million we’d lose to cover it?
    So take the 1 million dollar loss.

Literally every other G5 has.