TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Vs. 2020

Default 2016 Vs. 2020

Our 2016 Football team may have been our most talented team ever. Our schedule was setup almost perfectly for us too. Great G5 matchup with Western Michigan (they went to the Cotton Bowl as an Access Bowl invitee). Great match with a P5 team in Ga. Tech (they went 9-4 beating Kentucky in the Taxslayer Bowl). We had App State, Troy, and Louisiana at home. We also had a good matchup with Ole Miss.

Our resume if we ran the table would have put us in the access bowl vs. Western Michigan. First, we would have the head to head victory. Second, we would have had a SEC and ACC win. Western Michigan had 2 Big 10 wins, but that conference was down that year. Players that went to the NFL off that team : Breida-49ers, Eligwe- Chiefs, Crockett - Packers , Koo-Chargers, Johnson- 49ers , Ironhead-Cardinals,

Our 2020 team may not be as talented across the board, but we have seniors in key positions and have a similar schedule. We open against G5 darling and #22 ranked Boise State. They will be an access bowl contender. We play at home against #30 ranked Florida Atlantic. We get #19 ranked App State at home. We have to travel to Louisana, but Troy at home. We have another shot at Ole Miss for our P5 game.

I can see NFL invites for Kennedy, Johnson, Wade, King, and a few others if they flash this season.

This season sets up perfectly for us to control our own destiny. I know TK gets knocked for his schedules, but this one can work well for us if we do our part.
    'Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.' - Darrell Royal

Default Re: 2016 Vs. 2020

2020 was originally the PERFECT schedule with Houston at home, FAU at home, FCS Campbell, and then Ole Miss along with our conference slate. Ole Miss is still struggling and even in 2016 with a Tyson Summers coached team we had a shot in that game.

Obviously opening with Boise on the road is less ideal, but still not crazy.

The problem is I haven't seen the consistency and improvements overall on the offensive side of the ball that we needed to see leading up to this season to have confidence in it being a season to make a big splash. It's unfortunate as the schedule is definitely primed for it if we can make it happen.

I'm looking to win the conference this year. Anything other than that is just icing on the cake. I'm not getting my hopes up for anything to do with the Access Bowl as we have WAY too many questions to answer on offense to worry about that.

Yeah, but does the 2020 team know how to practice?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

4. Default Re: 2016 Vs. 2020

It's an even year so we get our typically hardest conference games at home (App, Troy, and StAte). Outside of those three, @ ULL is going to be our hardest conference game, and @ GAST is unfortunately not a game you can always count as a win.

I have a lot of reason to be optimistic about our out-of-conference slate. To start off the season, Boise State has had significant disruptions to their athletic department due to COVID, and if this game is played, that should help level the playing field for us. Campbell shouldn't give us too much grief. Florida Atlantic was riding high under Kiffin, but Willie Taggart has an extensive history of having a losing season in his first year at almost every one of his coaching stops. Hopefully that translates to being a boon for us inside Paulson. Now Kiffin is at Ole Miss, and I believe he will haven them rolling by mid-November barring major injuries. However, this is a classic trap game right before they play rival Mississippi State to redeem themselves from last year's last second loss. I think 3-1 out-of-conference is very attainable.

I’ll wait right here for the pessimists to come kill ya’ll’s optimism! LOL 10,9,8,.....

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    It's an even year so we get our typically hardest conference games at home (App, Troy, and StAte). Outside of those three, @ ULL is going to be our hardest conference game, and @ GAST is unfortunately not a game you can always count as a win.

I have a lot of reason to be optimistic about our out-of-conference slate. To start off the season, Boise State has had significant disruptions to their athletic department due to COVID, and if this game is played, that should help level the playing field for us. Campbell shouldn't give us too much grief. Florida Atlantic was riding high under Kiffin, but Willie Taggart has an extensive history of having a losing season in his first year at almost every one of his coaching stops. Hopefully that translates to being a boon for us inside Paulson. Now Kiffin is at Ole Miss, and I believe he will haven them rolling by mid-November barring major injuries. However, this is a classic trap game right before they play rival Mississippi State to redeem themselves from last year's last second loss. I think 3-1 out-of-conference is very attainable.
    I'm looking forward to FAU...since we added them to the schedule they won 2 of the last 3 CUSA titles. I like our chances with them being 70th on the S&P's returning production and them having a head coach that's really just hasn't been good outside one season at South Florida.

My concern with Boise is that we need to be better at pass defense because they can and will air it out. We'll be better at safety but corner will drop off some (how could it not?). Boise will also have the QB they had used for much of the season last year before injury.

Ole Miss will CCL's best chance yet for a P5 win, and I think Lane Kiffin is exactly the type of coach that will skimp on preparation to get ready for Mike Leach in the Egg Bowl.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 24th June 2020 at 02:57 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Now Kiffin is at Ole Miss, and I believe he will haven them rolling by mid-November barring major injuries. However, this is a classic trap game right before they play rival Mississippi State to redeem themselves from last year's last second loss. I think 3-1 out-of-conference is very attainable.
    I fully expect them to be undefeated with our luck. lol Hello Minnesota hasn't been relevant in like 40 years. Remember they lost last year because of a celebration penalty before an XP.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I fully expect them to be undefeated with our luck. lol Hello Minnesota hasn't been relevant in like 40 years. Remember they lost last year because of a celebration penalty before an XP.
    The Ole Miss team in 2016 was not good. And neither was GT.

We just were worse.

Yes we typically get P5 teams when they're having an amazing stroke of luck, but we've also had our opportunities and shot ourselves in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

We just were worse.

Yes we typically get P5 teams when they're having an amazing stroke of luck, but we've also had our opportunities and shot ourselves in the foot.
    Being married into a Mississippi family, I've gotten to know a fair amount of Ole Miss fans. They fully expect us to beat them this season.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

We just were worse.

Power 5 teams with a losing record we've played since 1982:
    1991 Auburn (down year, no playoffs)
    2013 Florida (had a bajillion injuries, weird transition year)
    2016 Ole Miss (Tyson Summers)

Did I miss one? Yeah, we're snake bit, there.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.