TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Thread: Excitement

Default Re: Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Speaking of Kennedy, I support using him like we did last season. While I still see him as a wing/all-purpose player, he's our only Gipson or Breida-like HR hitter at RB, so I approve using him as a tailback getting around 15 touches a game (he got 14.3 in 2019). King and Wright are grinders, not game breakers, and this offense doesn't function solely by grinding on defenses.

Hood definitely needs more touches, as does Thompson. Malik Murray is a fine receiver, though, so I don't see him taking a backseat to either one despite the difference in speed. Right now, concepts and execution are probably more crucial than speed in improving our passing game, so the advantage might go to Murray.

Yep he has to play RB. In a perfect world he would be a slot and would be used creatively and be a defensive nightmare. But we all know that's not happening with our current OC so put him in the spot where he's going to get the ball the most. I think 15 is absolute minimum (barring him doing something like rip off multiple 50 yard runs which he's done before). All said and done between rushes (15-20), pass targets (2 min), and punt returns (hopefully 6-8+ including fair catches) I think he needs to be around 25-30 touches a game. I know you aren't including punt returns in yours so we really aren't that far off in our thoughts.

As for Hood, I know we won't use him as much or how I would like but he has to be a player you scheme to get it in his hands 3-5 times. But we will probably trot lineups out there of King-Wright-Murray-Anderson-? and then complain about how slow we are. I really hope I'm proven wrong but up until this point what reason do I have to think I'm going to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

I think the lack of excitement is due to a multitude of reasons. Some because of what we have seen (last season) and some because of what we haven't been able to see (spring practice).

For me it's just tough to get excited or expect much improvement because despite having a roster of a lot of upperclassmen last year we regressed not improved and that's a very troubling sign. So when you don't see any in season improvement and then lay an absolute egg the last time we took the field it really takes the wind out of the sails. But usually a team gets spring practice to build some excitement back up and we didn't get that. We as a fan base didn't get that chance to replace those bad memories with new positive ones. So I don't really think I can say I'm excited about anything but I am intrigued about some things:

1. The OL. I don't think there is anybody that wouldn't start their list here. It's year 3 of coaching and S&C. Tyson Summers is no longer a valid excuse for the 2020 OL. Do we get the improvement that it's time for on the OL this year?

2. Secondary. We aren't short on talent but very short on experience. Duncan has a chance to be extremely good if he keeps improving. But how is everybody around him going to play?

3. QB play. I was tempted to put this 2nd and it might be because it will influence a game more than our secondary will due to how good the front 7 is. I've beat this horse to death so all I will say is I hope we get to see the Shai that he has the talent level to be this year.

4. WR group. Can Thompson get on the field here? Carter? Freshmen? Will somebody emerge as a player that can be an actual deep threat? I know Anderson has the big plays but he's not a deep threat. He's been a result of DB's falling asleep, which I will take every time but we need somebody that can actually run past a CB when he's ready for it.

5. TE. If Butler doesn't get hurt last year this is probably a group I'm excited about. This is the first group on my list that you could say I'm intrigued/optimistic about. But that relies heavily on Butler being 100% physically and mentally from his ACL tear.

6. RB group. This is the first group I'm excited about. We know what we have here and there is reason to be excited. The player I'm most intrigued by is Green. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pass Laroche on the depth chart by either the start of the season or early into it.

7. DL & LB's. Now this group definitely gives reason for excitement. They should be absolutely dominant.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

3. Default Re: Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Yep he has to play RB. In a perfect world he would be a slot and would be used creatively and be a defensive nightmare. But we all know that's not happening with our current OC so put him in the spot where he's going to get the ball the most. I think 15 is absolute minimum (barring him doing something like rip off multiple 50 yard runs which he's done before). All said and done between rushes (15-20), pass targets (2 min), and punt returns (hopefully 6-8+ including fair catches) I think he needs to be around 25-30 touches a game. I know you aren't including punt returns in yours so we really aren't that far off in our thoughts.

As for Hood, I know we won't use him as much or how I would like but he has to be a player you scheme to get it in his hands 3-5 times. But we will probably trot lineups out there of King-Wright-Murray-Anderson-? and then complain about how slow we are. I really hope I'm proven wrong but up until this point what reason do I have to think I'm going to be?

Why does he have to play RB all the time? He is OK at it, but I think he would be much better at a variety of things than just 100% RB all the time.

WK has proven he is really good at so many things to waste behind a poor O line and a very thin playbook.

Send him to slot, use him for short passes.... Whatever. Line him up and have defenses spread thin just to try and cover the possibilities.

We have so many competent RBs-why use WK3 only there?

Every team we play knows his number after '18, and lining him up in the same place every time limits his potential.

I hate to see a player that dynamic wasted on such one-dimensional vanilla crap.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Rad, you know that is GS key to greatness, always has been, always will be. Poor o-line poor GS team, good O-line , good team. Great O-line, great GS team. Especially when our history has been run the ball.
    Usually, but not always. 1990 had a bit of a patchwork OL, yet they went all the way.

Of course, that was hardly a juggernaut of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Usually, but not always. 1990 had a bit of a patchwork OL, yet they went all the way.

Of course, that was hardly a juggernaut of a team.
    i would guess that “patchwork” was probably better than last years or maybe even the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    i would guess that “patchwork” was probably better than last years or maybe even the year before.
    During the regular season, it probably was inferior to 2018's. "Patchwork" is being kind.