TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Might Not Be the Place to Post this...but GS Launches Competition Clay Target Team

Default Re: Might Not Be the Place to Post this...but GS Launches Competition Clay Target Tea

This is awesome news. With the popularity of shooting sports in south Georgia, I have a feeling this will pickup steam quickly, and be a very attractive landing spot for the top shooters in the state.

There were a few years before we had kids that we'd go to either Forrest City or out to my wife's family's land and shoot trap/skeet fairly frequently. It's a lot of fun.

And now I'm mad all over again that some POS stole my Benelli Supernova 9 years ago.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

Default Re: Might Not Be the Place to Post this...but GS Launches Competition Clay Target Tea

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Ever tried sporting clays?

They are a barrel of fun!

(I'm not good enough at clays to use anything fancy-but who cares? It's still a blast!! I got a Beretta A300 that I absolutely love. It is a beast! Will eat the cheapest ammo you can find like candy and it never has an issue. Highly recommend if you need a versatile gun.)
    Never tried sporting clays, but if I ever got back into shooting I'd give it a shot.
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

Quote Originally Posted by Hail The Blue View Post
    Never tried sporting clays, but if I ever got back into shooting I'd give it a shot.
    Good chance we will have some "come shoot with the team" events either near Statesboro or in Savannah. Would love for everyone to see these student/athletes in action. You will be very impressed with each one of them and their remarkable ability. Will post here with dates for such events are set.

Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
    Good chance we will have some "come shoot with the team" events either near Statesboro or in Savannah. Would love for everyone to see these student/athletes in action. You will be very impressed with each one of them and their remarkable ability. Will post here with dates for such events are set.
    Sounds cool, I'll keep an eye out. I know a few people that might be interested.
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

It's so much better than standard trap/skeet.

Each time you go to a new position, it is different.

Good courses set up all kinds of variety-from high chandelles to rabbits to a clay skimming a foot or two over a lake like a duck. (Some even toss clays off a tower from behind you-to simulate a dove coming overhead fast.)

It's so freaking cool!

There's a world-class range near me and I have a friend who is a great teacher. I don't get many weekends off, but here and there we grab an afternoon and hot that place. Man-It is like crack! I cannot stop smiling when I shoot sporting clays. Even if I'm having a crappy session. Absolutely love the variety!
    My FIL was the member at Forrest City, and he has a bad back (long story, miracle to be alive), so I think that's part of the reason we never did the full SC course. Too much moving/walking around.

We did try the dove tower one day. I think we did a round of 25. I think he hit 3, and I hit 1. Compared to the usual 15-22 on trap and skeet we'd both normally shoot, needless to say, we only did that once.
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

When you think about these kids shooting 95+ on the sporting clays, it gives you a look at the talent that we are going to have on the GS Shotgun Team. They will shoot 95 or so on trap and 98-100 on skeet too. My job is to keep them focused on their school work, everyday student life and on their shooting, while providing coaching as needed. The GS team can be very, very good. As mentioned earlier, there are so many young clay target shooters in Georgia, especially from Macon south. We've got a great opportunity to recruit some of the very best youth shooters in the country to GS. It truly is amazing to see how many top high school shooters, coaches and parents have already reached out to me about the competition team. I really appreciate everyone's comments and support here on the site. Many of the kids who are on the team, our recruits, recent signees and other top shooters will be competing in the SCTP State Clay Target Championship at Forest City Gun Club in Savannah June 4-7. There is no admission to get in and watch. There will be hundreds of youth shooters there from all over Georgia. If you're in the Savannah area during those dates, stop by the club. The main gate will be open. I'm planning to be there a couple of days talking with some of the very top shooters who might want to come to GS and be a part of the competition program.
    Last edited by straightshooter; 22nd May 2020 at 02:27 PM.

You just need to find someone with experience to show you the ropes.

Most courses have a coach.

A lot of it is understanding the illusions and knowing which clay to go for first. Lot of times the angles are misleading in terms of speed. That is definitely the case on a dove tower. The clay might have an angle that makes it look easy, but it's actually scorching fast.

The fella I shoot with is a real pro at it. With his help I have gotten a bit better, but I'm still nowhere near great at it. I still have plenty of angles or setups that I can't hit at all.... My friend encounters one every so often too-and he's a competition-level guy.

We still have a blast. Best way on Earth to spend an afternoon with friends. (Except a dove field with lots of live birds. I have about decided those don't exist anymore. Certainly not in my part of the state.)
    jcountry...where to you shoot? I designed a bunch of shooting facilities all over Georgia. May have done your local hangout...

Big red oak and Cherokee rose. (CR is under new ownership and they are apparently putting a lot of work into it. BRO is growing. My friend tells me they have big competitions there. Nationals have been there, I think.)
    Know them both very well. Didn't do the design at Cherokee Rose, but I was the VP and General Manager of the facility when I first got in the shooting business full time in 1990. Left there at the end of 1992. That place used to absolutely rock. I've spoken with the new owners, and I feel they will do a great job.
    Last edited by straightshooter; 22nd May 2020 at 08:07 PM.

I think so too....

Last time I was there was probably just after the ownership change and crews were doing a lot of work. I'll have to get back by soon and see how it looks.....

Heck. I remember when they built that place. Must have been about 1985.
    The real sporting clays course went in in mid-1989. There was a trap and skeet field there that friends of the owner and the Boy Scouts used, but the real commercial part of the club was really launched in early 1990. The owner just threw me the keys and said "make it work, and call me if you need something." Lots of fun at that place. They even had a StarShot, one of only four in America. Some may remember that game from ESPN in the 1980s. It was on a hydraulic pump. We used to bring it out of the ground at night to the Topgun movie theme. Cool stuff. Had a seafood restaurant there that was packed on Friday nights. Great memories.

Good start to the competition season as five GS Eagle shooters competed in the Georgia Junior Blast shoot at the Meadows National Gun Club just north of Macon. Shooters shot three 100 shot rounds. All five of the GS shooters posted sporting clays scores in the 90s on the weekend. Douglas Williams and new signee Tate Skipper were in the 90s for all three competition rounds. Great start. They will all get better and be ready for the ACUI collegiate season starting in the Fall. Right now they are shooting for their respective SCTP All-Star teams in preparation for the SCTP National Championship in Ohio in July.