TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Best win of each Georgia Southern head football coach?

Default Best win of each Georgia Southern head football coach?

I did a thread for the worst loss for each coach now let's do the best win for each head coach.

Erk Russell: Furman 1985 National Championship. (I guess you could also say his last game as well, but this one was epic. Find this game on Youtube and start watching with about 10 minutes left in the third quarter...wow)
    Tim Stowers: Nevada 1990 National Championship (obvious)
    Paul Johnson: Montana 2000 National Championship (back-to-back National Champs with a team that was rebuilding)
    Mike Sewak: Furman 2005 (number 1 ranked team goes down)
    Brian VanGorder: 2006 Coastal Carolina (obviously the bar was low but at least we beat a playoff team).
    Chris Hatcher: 2007 App State (obvious)
    Jeff Monken: 2013 Florida (obvious)
    Willie Fritz: 2014 App State (I don't count ULM because it was a single game and he wasn't on the sidelines for Go Daddy even though he built the team that won the game).
    Tyson Summers: 2016 Troy (The best team Summers beat by a big margin, but that win may have been costly for the program)
    Chad Lunsford (so far): 2019 App State (I only pick this one because we were in Boone, if not I'd go with 2018 App).
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Default Re: Best win of each Georgia Southern head football coach?

PJ - 1999 YSU to win his first national championship. Rebuild in 2000? How many starters returned? JR was the biggest difference I can remember.
    He shall not be named - none were big.
    Hatch Attack - were they #1 when we put a crack in the rock?
    TS - no big wins. Our AD just made a boneheaded decision. He should have been fired win or lose. No it's not hindsight because we saw what a failure it was well before that game. We had 18? returning starters coming off conference title and bowl win.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Default Re: Best win of each Georgia Southern head football coach?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Hatch Attack - were they #1 when we put a crack in the rock?
    They were #5 but that was the same year they beat Michigan and they had the longest D1 (FBS/FCS) home winning streak at that time, something like 35 wins in a row. Definitely Hatcher's best win by a long shot.