TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 98 of 124 FirstFirst ... 96979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    There's not going to be exponential spread of this next fall. I think we will see vaccination and natural herd immunity combine to slow COVID cases to a crawl. And there will always be COVID cases. It's never being eradicated. But it's going to become a lot less big of a deal in time.
    There's no exponential spread most places in the country now.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    There are two hopeful signs, both of which have been mentioned on here before, but probably in the original thread.

First, the medical profession is learning how to treat this thing. Death rates have been cut in half just because of that. That was always going to be the big benefit of flattering the curve: buying the scientists time to analyze this thing and doctors the time to locate best practices.

Second, there are signs of widespread t cell immunity due to (a) resemblance of the "novel" cv to previous cold viruses...not identical but similar enough, apparently, and (b) masks let through just a few cv particles, and that's enough to create almost a vaccine like effect. Dosage matters, and a very low dosage can educate your immune system without getting you sick.

Do you remember way back in the early days of the first thread when I mentioned how dandruff particles were found in the jet stream? They flew a special aero foam way up high to near outer space and found all sorts of crap shooting around the world in the big breezes. A virus molecule is smaller than dandruff. So, yes, people will encounter it, and herd immunity may not have to come exclusively from shots. This article suggests we are around 40% now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...navirus-covid/
    Are you suggesting that the virus can exit a host, travel to the jetstream, return to earth, remain sufficiently concentrated and viable the entire time, and infect a new host in sufficient quantity to cause them to contract the illness?
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    There's no exponential spread most places in the country now.
    Shhhh.

It's all about gross, cumulative numbers, now. Try to keep up.
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Shhhh.

It's all about gross, cumulative numbers, now. Try to keep up.
    but only until NOVEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Are you suggesting that the virus can exit a host, travel to the jetstream, return to earth, remain sufficiently concentrated and viable the entire time, and infect a new host in sufficient quantity to cause them to contract the illness?
    Sure. The virus is just a little particle. I don't know if they could survive such a trip, but it's possible. You are far more likely to get it from somebody breathing in the same room as you, but eventually things spread around the globe. Would you have guessed dandruff would survive such a trip? I certainly wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFUS View Post
    but only until NOVEMBER
    You'll see what BS that is come November.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    So let me see if I have this straight...

Instead of participating in team activities and getting frequent testing, we need to not test them and to let players do more mingling and cavorting on colleges campus with mostly 18-22 year olds who aren't going to be overly conscientious about the spread of the disease, all in the name of player safety. Do I have that right?
    No because of the same reason discussed over and over. These players have mothers and father and grandparents, many of whom have diabetes, high blood pressure, or obesity. It's not just them; it's their families.

The other unknown is lasting side effects from minor infections, and there's some evidence of that in young people.

So, No, covid parties still do not make sense. Just wear a mask and breath in one or two little covid guys now and then, and maybe you will get symptomless immunity if you are lucky, and meanwhile you will not pass on big doses to vulnerable people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    No because of the same reason discussed over and over. These players have mothers and father and grandparents, many of whom have diabetes, high blood pressure, or obesity. It's not just them; it's their families.

You actually just further proved his point. Where are these family members safer....with the teenager in the house or away from the teenager until January?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Reading between the lines I think the Big10 completely misread the room and is having to do an about face today. Tons of coaches and players parents supporting a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    You actually just further proved his point. Where are these family members safer....with the teenager in the house or away from the teenager until January?
    They're safer if the kid does not bring home big doses of the virus, however that is best managed.