TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Good read ...

Most university presidents resort to their most inspiring language when they discuss their plans for the fall semester. “These strange and frightening times have most certainly deepened our collective appreciation of the University’s many vital roles in society,” Bollinger wrote to his faculty. But what is driving this push, far more than “the mission,” is the need for tuition income. Purdue had just under $2 billion in revenue in 2019, of which $1.3 billion was generated from tuition and student fees. Columbia is a $5 billion institution. But every source of income has been hit hard—and the only thing the schools can easily recoup is tuition.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...usinessweek-v2
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

2. Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    You realize none of this is going to matter because politicians can just pass a bill granting immunity from these types of suits right?

Even if schools WERE as scares as you think (they aren't)...one bill takes away any reason to worry about it.
    That won't happen.

(Liability protections would have done a lot to fix our dumpster fire healthcare system, but you saw that didn't happen either.)

Trial lawyers own too many politicians.

Wait and see. No such bill will make it past committee. No way.

Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    I think it was a ridiculous lawsuit. McDonald's should sue her for being a retard and spilling it on herself. I mean enough is enough and I deal with these type of people every day owning my own business. The majority of people are amazing and great to deal with (85%) . The rest....always want something for nothing and nickel and diming wether on the front end of the deal (which I am fine with negotiating) or after the job is done which pisses me. Lots of people are pieces of sh#/ and I am fortunate enough now that I am out of corporate life I can pick and choose my clients. If i go into golds gym tomorrow morning and tear my bicep from lifting should i sue them? This works is fuc$>,^ nuts and the majority of people are cry baby puss_/%$$ . Stop believing the media crap, go back to life as usual, if you feel unsafe stay home.
    Presumably, you’re sober now. Now, the choice is to edit for reputation’s sake, or to leave as a reminder not to drunk post. Hmm . . .
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    That won't happen.

(Liability protections would have done a lot to fix our dumpster fire healthcare system, but you saw that didn't happen either.)

Trial lawyers own too many politicians.

Wait and see. No such bill will make it past committee. No way.
    If you’re right and a school can’t open a stadium without getting sued, how will schools (all schools) open? I believe they will. If the most vulnerable of the population can’t open up and parents with children can’t go to work, we’re heading for far worse problems than no football. Remember they never produced a vaccine for AIDS. How will anyone in court prove where they contracted the virus anyway?

5. Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    If you’re right and a school can’t open a stadium without getting sued, how will schools (all schools) open? I believe they will. If the most vulnerable of the population can’t open up and parents with children can’t go to work, we’re heading for far worse problems than no football. Remember they never produced a vaccine for AIDS. How will anyone in court prove where they contracted the virus anyway?

I think we will need some sort of blanket liability protection (like Buzz mentioned.). I don't think it will happen because trial lawyers absolutely dump truckloads of money on politicians to ensure things like that never happen.

The thing that worries me (and that schools should be worried about) is not so much whether plaintiffs have a legit case. I'm worried about the fact that you have to defend every single action, no matter how silly or meritless it may be. Defending a handful of slip and falls is expensive. Defending hundreds or thousands of covid liability cases would be untenable.

I just can't imagine any school accepting the risk. If you find a large percentage of covid positives in a certain section, you'd have a real case. If a couple people in the middle of that section died, you would have a very, very good case.

Something like this happens in Paulson, and we would have a very big problem.... (52 out of 63 people infected. A couple died.) https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...r-singing.html

Remember, our tort system is broken. It is a freaking disaster. All you have to do is "prove" to a very low standard. "Preponderance of evidence" is a much lower standard than people would think.... (And many jurors are stupid. They are emotional and easily tricked. The vast majority of Americans don't use reason or logic to arrive at a conclusion.)

In most civil cases, the burden of persuasion that applies is called “a preponderance of the evidence.” This standard requires the jury to return a judgment in favor of the plaintiff if the plaintiff is able to show that a particular fact or event was more likely than not to have occurred.

Not sure if things have changed (this was like 20 years ago) but slip and fall cases are 100% business friendly in Georgia. My mom fell in Kroger and they initially paid the first doctor visit but that was it once corporate got involved. Of course they spoke with a lawyer but didn't get anywhere. Looking for a payday? No, just looking to cover the medical bills. Wasn't worth the effort to lose.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

7. Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Not sure if things have changed (this was like 20 years ago) but slip and fall cases are 100% business friendly in Georgia. My mom fell in Kroger and they initially paid the first doctor visit but that was it once corporate got involved. Of course they spoke with a lawyer but didn't get anywhere. Looking for a payday? No, just looking to cover the medical bills. Wasn't worth the effort to lose.
    This situation isn't like a slip & fall.

And respectfully, y'all talked to the wrong lawyer. They are just like everyone else. Some are lazy. Some are stupid. Really good ones are pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Many years ago I was working at a Kroger when a customer slipped and fell on a tomato that was on the ground. While this person was falling to the ground they grabbed a display of energy drinks and pulled it down on them as they fell. I called an ambulance and the person was taken to the hospital with bad back injuries. Later that day the store manager was reviewing the store’s security camera footage and found the person who slipped was the same person who dropped the tomato in the first place, only to come back and slip on it purposely.

It’s idiots like this who cause legitimate cases to be scrutinized so heavily and laws to lean towards businesses if there isn’t a clear party at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I think we will need some sort of blanket liability protection (like Buzz mentioned.). I don't think it will happen because trial lawyers absolutely dump truckloads of money on politicians to ensure things like that never happen.

The thing that worries me (and that schools should be worried about) is not so much whether plaintiffs have a legit case. I'm worried about the fact that you have to defend every single action, no matter how silly or meritless it may be. Defending a handful of slip and falls is expensive. Defending hundreds or thousands of covid liability cases would be untenable.

I just can't imagine any school accepting the risk. If you find a large percentage of covid positives in a certain section, you'd have a real case. If a couple people in the middle of that section died, you would have a very, very good case.

Something like this happens in Paulson, and we would have a very big problem.... (52 out of 63 people infected. A couple died.) https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...r-singing.html

Remember, our tort system is broken. It is a freaking disaster. All you have to do is "prove" to a very low standard. "Preponderance of evidence" is a much lower standard than people would think.... (And many jurors are stupid. They are emotional and easily tricked. The vast majority of Americans don't use reason or logic to arrive at a conclusion.)

In most civil cases, the burden of persuasion that applies is called “a preponderance of the evidence.” This standard requires the jury to return a judgment in favor of the plaintiff if the plaintiff is able to show that a particular fact or event was more likely than not to have occurred.
    Again, if you are right and liability forces the country to stay closed, we can quit worrying about football right now because there won’t even be institutions left to field a team.

10. Default Re: What percent right now would you give to a 2020 college football season?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    Again, if you are right and liability forces the country to stay closed, we can quit worrying about football right now because there won’t even be institutions left to field a team.
    True.

I don’t think the blanket liability protection will happen, but we certainly do need it.

I think we can all imagine the “did you test positive for covid? Been at event x or event y on such and so dates? Call the Strong Arm!” We will be absolutely swimming in scumbag ambulance-chaser lawsuits without some kind of blanket protection.

But think of the culture in DC these days. You would think something like a world-wide-economy-crushing pandemic would make politicians actually drop their petty nonsense and come together for the common good....

Nope.

If anything, this situation has had the opposite effect. I am convinced that pretty much everyone up there would rather see the economy and society burn to the ground than let their enemy across the aisle look good.

That may be a bigger factor than the graft and bribery from trial lawyers.