TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Academic Standards

Default Academic Standards

I just read an article on ajc.com saying that they won’t require SAT/ACT scores to be submitted this year for admission. I can understand that due to the current state of everything, but they also said you need a 2.31 GPA to be considered. I thought we had come further than this as an institution?

Default Re: Academic Standards

Evidently not.....have our admission standards digressed as an institution?
    SlickEagle now, formally known as EagleDawg

when I was there in the early 90's, all you had to do to get in was have a pulse. We were the fasted growing university in the country four years in a row. I had a guy on my hall in Oxford that started in 100% remedial classes. First 1/4 he failed all three. Took the same classes again the second 1/4 and only passed one of the three. Third 1/4 he had one "real" class and two remedials. He failed all three. He spent an entire academic year at GS and had a 0.00 GPA to show for it. He wasn't a partier. He went to class. He just wasn't cut out for it. I would say that the standards now are much higher than that. Maybe not higher than the last couple years, but still higher than before.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    I just read an article on ajc.com saying that they won’t require SAT/ACT scores to be submitted this year for admission. I can understand that due to the current state of everything, but they also said you need a 2.31 GPA to be considered. I thought we had come further than this as an institution?
    Assuming you are talking about eligibility for athletes. I'm pretty sure that most institutions, that are serious about football, only hold their athletes to the minimum NCAA requirements. IDK what that currently is, but I'm guessing this is it.

If it's normally higher, the only thing I can figure is that maybe many students will not get a chance to raise their grades now before the end of the year?

Here it looks to typically be a 2.5 or higher.
    https://admissions.georgiasouthern.e...ents/freshmen/

Not sure if they adjusted it or not due to the lack of SAT/ACT scores, but most of the information I've seen directly from us simply says you need a "sufficiently high GPA"

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    when I was there in the early 90's, all you had to do to get in was have a pulse. We were the fasted growing university in the country four years in a row. I had a guy on my hall in Oxford that started in 100% remedial classes. First 1/4 he failed all three. Took the same classes again the second 1/4 and only passed one of the three. Third 1/4 he had one "real" class and two remedials. He failed all three. He spent an entire academic year at GS and had a 0.00 GPA to show for it. He wasn't a partier. He went to class. He just wasn't cut out for it. I would say that the standards now are much higher than that. Maybe not higher than the last couple years, but still higher than before.
    I had 2 development studies my first quarter and 1 regular class, made a D so I had a 1.0. Had a few friends in a similar situation. I failed one of the devo studies and had to retake it again and finally passed. My roommate from the dorm and his best friend took the devo classes the summer to get them out of the way (2 classes each). We all ended up graduating which apparently was rare for people who got in that way. One ended up on the Deans List every quarter his last few years while working either 2 or 3 jobs.

If I had a guess they're just going to require a higher GPA in place of sliding scale of test score(s) and GPA. Meaning if you got a 1300 and have a 2.5 GPA you'd get in just as likely as a 3.2 and a 1100 SAT. Just making those numbers up completely to make the point.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Notice the words "to be considered". Schools are never going discourage applicants because they never know when they'll need them. That's one reason why things like Princeton Review and Yahoo College Data exist because it's impossible to get a real feel for how competitive admissions really are on official university websites. They're always just going to say "blah blah blah students that fit our profile blah blah blah leaders of tomorrow blah blah blah".
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educa...k3jpHFfqhmE7L/

Sorry I didn’t paste the link originally.

Seeing that we have 16,000 applicants I guess the final numbers will be different while allowing room for certain athletes. I was just taken aback when I saw the original GPA number knowing that we stopped remedial classes after the incoming 1999 class and everything I’ve read made it seem we’ve become much more selective.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Assuming you are talking about eligibility for athletes. I'm pretty sure that most institutions, that are serious about football, only hold their athletes to the minimum NCAA requirements. IDK what that currently is, but I'm guessing this is it.

If it's normally higher, the only thing I can figure is that maybe many students will not get a chance to raise their grades now before the end of the year?
    This is University-wide, not just athletes.

Athletes (maybe general students too, not sure) get in on a sliding scale anyway, so if you have a low GPA you need a higher test score to get acceptance, and if you have a high GPA you can get by with a poor test score. At least that's how it was a few years back, but dont know how much that has changed in recent years.