TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Academic Standards

Default Re: Academic Standards

One of the things that colleges, including Georgia Southern, do that is wrong is they create standards that make it to where anybody that graduated high school can get in. But then when students get there they expect them to be ready to be a student at four year university. When students aren’t and could have used two years at a junior or community college they ruin their gpa their freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    One of the things that colleges, including Georgia Southern, do that is wrong is they create standards that make it to where anybody that graduated high school can get in. But then when students get there they expect them to be ready to be a student at four year university. When students aren’t and could have used two years at a junior or community college they ruin their gpa their freshman year.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but that is not the school's fault if the student is not ready to be in college.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Applicants are more heavily weighted based on academic rigor. A 2.5 minimum GPA means less today than in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    Applicants are more heavily weighted based on academic rigor. A 2.5 minimum GPA means less today than in the 90's.
    I have no idea what this means. Can you explain further? A C average seems to be a warning sign to me no matter what decade.

When I applied in 2011, it was a 2.0 to be considered. For comparison, UGA is a 2.5 to be considered.

To be considered doesn't mean you're getting it, it means your application can pass through the door.

This move has nothing to do with lowering standards and everything to do with eliminating unnecessary gatherings and hurdles for new applicants. When a student has promise, there are plenty of clues; you don't really need standardized tests.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    When I applied in 2011, it was a 2.0 to be considered. For comparison, UGA is a 2.5 to be considered.

To be considered doesn't mean you're getting it, it means your application can pass through the door.
    I wish I could remember what the average GPA is of an acceptance, but it's defintely higher than 2.0. I've worked many a recruiting reception in Atlanta and always hear the numbers. Don't we have the most HOPE students in the state?

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    This move has nothing to do with lowering standards and everything to do with eliminating unnecessary gatherings and hurdles for new applicants. When a student has promise, there are plenty of clues; you don't really need standardized tests.
    Certain things can't be taught or measured, like skills and work ethic. Which employees value more than your degree or GPA.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    I have no idea what this means. Can you explain further? A C average seems to be a warning sign to me no matter what decade.
    Kids today can choose pathways with more difficult academic requirements. Kids can choose to take AP classes. AP classes are more difficult than basic curriculum and are much more rigorous. Kids can also choose to take classes at post secondary education institutions such as Tech schools and Universities while not yet graduating having graduated from high school. All of this is now considered when applying to universities. My daughter graduated high school with a 4.2 GPA but struggled on the ACT and SAT. She chose every possible route in high school that challenged her academically with AP classes as well Georgia Southern dual enrollment. She was accepted to UGA early based on the overall body of work. She's a premed junior today with a 3.8 GPA. She's rolling despite a relatively low SAT score and ACT score. Relative to her body of work.

https://www.eachieve.com/HighSchoolAP/GPA

9. Default Re: Academic Standards

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    I just read an article on ajc.com saying that they won’t require SAT/ACT scores to be submitted this year for admission. I can understand that due to the current state of everything, but they also said you need a 2.31 GPA to be considered. I thought we had come further than this as an institution?
    I think I made the same score on my SAT as the guy that sat next to me.

the really odd part of this is that the majority of the deadlines and everything for admission in the fall are already passed anyway. Anyone that would still be applying would be a little late to the ballgame anyway. My daughter is a senior and was accepted months ago. The deadline for acceptance and housing is like May 1st or something like that.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive