TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 19202122 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    You’re proving my point. In baseball, a school like Coastal Carolina is more likely to have yearly sustained success in baseball rather than basketball. As such, a coach is less likely to jump ship for a bigger paycheck because the gap in salaries is so much less from top to bottom in baseball than basketball. Most of this is due to television contracts, which create the haves and have nots in basketball. Therefore, jumping ship for a basketball coach generally makes for a much larger raise in pay.

And who is discrediting Coach Hennon?
    You said that basketball is a revenue sport- so is baseball- and at some schools baseball revenues are larger than basketball. I'm not sure if that's the case at GS but it's probably somewhat close. You said Hennon staying at GS is different than a basketball coach- I still haven't figured out why that is. Are you saying that in Hennon's entire career he hasn't had the opportunity to jump to a different (not necessarily better - see Byington to JMU) job?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Sorry- I missed the words 'basketball coach' in your original post.
    Címon man...we were talking specifically about the hiring of Brian Burg and his potential tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    C’mon man...we were talking specifically about the hiring of Brian Burg and his potential tenure.
    That was a genuine response from me, I wasn't sure if you meant solely basketball coaches since it didn't say so. Makes sense now.

This guy is a home run hire. Much better recruiter than Byington. Would go so far as saying he learned from a much better coach in his prime. This was a hire Kleinfeld would have never made.

He would have looked for a GA from thUGA. A team that is a bottom of the barrel.

Do you think any great coach is going to stay at GS for twenty years? I will challenge you to name any great mid-major coach who has been at their school for twenty years. I canít imagine there are very many that have at a top echelon school for twenty years.
    Only coach that comes to mind that might fit is Mark Few at Gonzaga, though you could argue the last 5 years or so theyíve somewhat shed the mid-major title. Maybe Greg Marshall at Wichita State when he didnít cash in on the Final Four. He hasnít been there 20 years.

7. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    This guy is a home run hire. Much better recruiter than Byington. Would go so far as saying he learned from a much better coach in his prime. This was a hire Kleinfeld would have never made.
    Klownlein would have hired from within so he wouldn’t have to do any real work.

Do you think any great coach is going to stay at GS for twenty years? I will challenge you to name any great mid-major coach who has been at their school for twenty years. I canít imagine there are very many that have at a top echelon school for twenty years.
    I'm with you Mike. I don't get why people put coaches and AD's down for acting like GS is a "stepping stone". Whether we like it or not, WE ARE A STEPPING STONE and we always will be. Even SEC schools are stepping stones to other SEC schools or to the NFL. People need to quit worrying about how long the coaches will stay and just hope that they win a lot of games while they are here. No one stays long anywhere anymore. But we better hope that they win enough games here that they are wanted other places.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I'm with you Mike. I don't get why people put coaches and AD's down for acting like GS is a "stepping stone". Whether we like it or not, WE ARE A STEPPING STONE and we always will be. Even SEC schools are stepping stones to other SEC schools or to the NFL. People need to quit worrying about how long the coaches will stay and just hope that they win a lot of games while they are here. No one stays long anywhere anymore. But we better hope that they win enough games here that they are wanted other places.
    But you all wanted a "loyal" football HC!?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    To prove your point, Nick Saban: Big 10 - SEC - NFL - SEC. There is always the NFL threat again.

Shaka Smart stayed at a mid major a lot longer than many anticipated but did end up leaving for Texas.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"