TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
    all I can say is CB left this place in a better way. In the high school recruiting world, GS is a more desirable school than before CB. He and his coaches treated prospects right and many more high school kids know about this school. It had a very bad recruiting name before CB. All i can say is that should help the next head coach, whom ever it goes to!

Had a bad recruiting name? How so? The only thing CY was good at was recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Radford leading scorer transferring. Interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    im wishing our new HC will bring or get 2 honest big men, if he could do that Garns would be happy once again.
    Same here
    SlickEagle now, formally known as EagleDawg

4. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Had a bad recruiting name? How so? The only thing CY was good at was recruiting.
    Ok, first off. if you are a great recruiter and a bad x's and o's coach you will win a bunch of games in spite of not coaching well through raw talent. So CY wasn't as good as you say. Second, I was involved with travel basketball during CY's tenure here. The school was not a destination that kids were excited to come to. Just saying. You may have felt he could recruit, and I don't want to go name by name because I know he got a few descent kids to come here that played against my son. But overall the mid major kids that had numerous offers were not coming here. When Byington got here, he was able to bring in a slightly higher quality player and thus the reputation around travel ball and their recruiting effort got better.

I can name two high level college coaches (but I won't on a BB) that are really good recruiters but bad coaches and still manage to have ranked teams regularly. They can convince really talented players to go there. And they win games in spite of making bad calls during gametime. And BTW, Byington is a good recruiter and a good x's and o's guy!

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
    Ok, first off. if you are a great recruiter and a bad x's and o's coach you will win a bunch of games in spite of not coaching well through raw talent. So CY wasn't as good as you say. Second, I was involved with travel basketball during CY's tenure here. The school was not a destination that kids were excited to come to. Just saying. You may have felt he could recruit, and I don't want to go name by name because I know he got a few descent kids to come here that played against my son. But overall the mid major kids that had numerous offers were not coming here. When Byington got here, he was able to bring in a slightly higher quality player and thus the reputation around travel ball and their recruiting effort got better.

I can name two high level college coaches (but I won't on a BB) that are really good recruiters but bad coaches and still manage to have ranked teams regularly. They can convince really talented players to go there. And they win games in spite of making bad calls during gametime. And BTW, Byington is a good recruiter and a good x's and o's guy!

Disagree with a large chunk of that. You got your opinion and I got mine. But I will ask you this...outside of Tookie (who Byington needed luck to get) who has Byington signed that was better than Ferguson, Hewitt, or Bussey?
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Disagree with a large chunk of that. You got your opinion and I got mine. But I will ask you this...outside of Tookie (who Byington needed luck to get) who has Byington signed that was better than Ferguson, Hewitt, or Bussey?
    There has been a disconnect between local coaches and GS for a long time. We've had periods where the top local kids didn't give GS the time of day and didn't consider us a D1 program and then we have had periods where GS coaches that thought the local kids we not in our league and didn't look at them. I'm not saying either one was right or wrong it's just been that way. CB did a good job reconnecting with the locals and hopefully our new coach will build on that and it will start paying dividends. I agree with Half, CY was a good recruiter and I also agree with the bigguy, he didn't have a good relationship with the local coaches. Coach Backus (Kerns era) was the last coach that had a special connection with the local coaches.

CY seems to be bringing in talent to Florida State. I think a lot of that has to do with, Florida State vs GS. “Son, which school would you like to attend?”. I’ve always said, recruiting on G5 level much more difficult than on P5 level.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    There has been a disconnect between local coaches and GS for a long time. We've had periods where the top local kids didn't give GS the time of day and didn't consider us a D1 program and then we have had periods where GS coaches that thought the local kids we not in our league and didn't look at them. I'm not saying either one was right or wrong it's just been that way. CB did a good job reconnecting with the locals and hopefully our new coach will build on that and it will start paying dividends. I agree with Half, CY was a good recruiter and I also agree with the bigguy, he didn't have a good relationship with the local coaches. Coach Backus (Kerns era) was the last coach that had a special connection with the local coaches.

You are right that we haven’t had a good local connection in a while. Price had Florida connections so he recruited heavily there and the JUCO scene. I don’t know what kind of relationship CY had with local coaches but didn’t he sign a guard from Augusta and the big kid from Millen? Of course neither made it more than a year, which was CY’s 2nd biggest problem...roster turnover.

I don’t know about Byington’s relationship with the local coaches but I trust your knowledge and that’s good he’s made progress. Haven’t really seen it when it comes to recruiting yet though so like you said hopefully the way coach can start signing some kids.

At the end of the day though basketball is such a “spread out” (for lack of a better term) sport that it’s not nearly as important to have that local connection as it is with football.

9. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

According to Coach Rumors on Twitter, we have 4 finalists:

Chad Dollar (UGA)
    Jonas Hayes (Xavier)
    Brian Burg (Texas Tech)
    Matt Figger (Austin Peay)

https://twitter.com/rumorscoach/stat...269099012?s=21

10. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    According to Coach Rumors on Twitter, we have 4 finalists:

Chad Dollar (UGA)
    Jonas Hayes (Xavier)
    Brian Burg (Texas Tech)
    Matt Figger (Austin Peay)

https://twitter.com/rumorscoach/stat...269099012?s=21
    Figger has a 7 footer from Brazil and a 6'10" freshman on the team. Maybe they could be a package deal. Watcha say Garns?