TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Chad did a good job as a recruiter while at GSU, but he didn't land Anthony Edwards. The head coach is why he went to UGA, We tried the hiring a recruiter with school ties (CY) and we see saw the result. I would love to see the next coach bring Willie Powers back to the Boro.
    Agree. Hard pass on Dollar.

Also, IIRC Forbes makes $600k so forget about him.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Go up the road and hire the Augusta HC, maybe he’ll bring Crawford with him(the double double machine, 2nd team all conference). Doubt we land ETSU coach or any proven HC. Probably some assistant because not sure GS is a “hot” basketball HC gig.
    I guess some people on this board figure we'll only have 5 or 6 high school coaches apply because GS is such a bad job...........
    Trust me, their are plenty of good coaches that will take our job. (we don't have the budget to hire one away for another school our size, but that doesn't mean we can't get a proven one at a smaller school or lower level) I figure we go the asst. coach route, but it's the ADs job to pick the right one to get us over the hump rather it's an asst. or head coach at a smaller school.

I know little about the mechanics of hiring basketball coaches, so my questions are: (1) did coach Byington have a contract buyout? (2) Do buyouts exist at the lower level D1 schools? D2?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    A friend told me Chad was the head recruiter under Price here and is the guy that landed Anthony Edwards in Athens. How big of a deal is that? It feels like it's been 20 years since a highly touted 5 star local Georgia kid stayed in state at either Tech or UGA.

Can't speak on the Xavier assistant but that's a great program to get an coach from - they made 17 straight NCAA's until last year.

Miss State - the obvious Benko connection.

Coach Dollar is a very good recruiter. So is that guy for Xavier. And the two are actually connected from 20 years ago. Jonas Hayes and Jarvis Hayes originally signed with Western Carolina because of an assistant coach that was their main recruiter. That assistant....Chad Dollar. After 1 year though Dollar left to come to Statesboro and both Hayes brothers transferred to UGA. Jarvis went on to be a top 10 pick and Jonas has been a hot name in the assistant coaching world recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

5. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

It’ll be a mid major coach whom I’ve never heard of before I’m sure

I want a proven head coach that can take what Byington built and get us over the hump. I don’t want an assistant that needs a learning curve. Driscoll at UNF and Jones at Radford have got to be in our price range.

Driscoll makes $155,000

Jones makes $200,000
    Last edited by ForgottenEagle; 21st March 2020 at 10:29 AM.

How about Pat Kelsey of Winthrop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Ke...oaching_record
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Base salary of $227,000 with $75k in bonuses. We could get him if we were willing to pay him north of $300k.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    I guess some people on this board figure we'll only have 5 or 6 high school coaches apply because GS is such a bad job...........
    Trust me, their are plenty of good coaches that will take our job. (we don't have the budget to hire one away for another school our size, but that doesn't mean we can't get a proven one at a smaller school or lower level) I figure we go the asst. coach route, but it's the ADs job to pick the right one to get us over the hump rather it's an asst. or head coach at a smaller school.
    Im all in on the Augusta State(or what ever it’s current BOR name for it is) HC. 16 years there, never a losing record, has taken school to numerous NCAA’s and he can bring Crawford back with him so we can at least say we have a big man.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Im all in on the Augusta State(or what ever it’s current BOR name for it is) HC. 16 years there, never a losing record, has taken school to numerous NCAA’s and he can bring Crawford back with him so we can at least say we have a big man.
    oh, winning percentage for 16 years, 74%.