TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    Is this the best on-paper hire we’ve ever made in any sport outside of Erk himself? I might lean yes.
    No.

In basketball, maybe. CY was also a P5 assistant, though he didn't work under a coach as good as Chris Beard (for whatever that's worth).
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    No.

In basketball, maybe. CY was also a P5 assistant, though he didn't work under a coach as good as Chris Beard (for whatever that's worth).
    You were conclusive in your answer. Who do you think that hire was? I am not saying Burg is; I have never thought about it. I am just curious who you think was “that” hire.

3. Default Re: Basketball Coaching Search Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Maybe this wasn’t the exact four- or maybe it was- but credit is due to them for getting the eventual hire!
    +1

Calling them out for having an “incorrect list,” but not providing the “correct list” is just Busch league. Especially when the new hire was on said “incorrect list.” JMHO

Nonetheless, great hire, I am excited about the future of our basketball program. Well done, JB!

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    +1

Calling them out for having an “incorrect list,” but not providing the “correct list” is just Busch league. Especially when the new hire was on said “incorrect list.” JMHO

Nonetheless, great hire, I am excited about the future of our basketball program. Well done, JB!
    Only Hayes & Burg were correct from that list

Then there was interim Wilson

Outside of that I don't know the others.

I'm guessing certain media did, but they also chose to be discreet and that's why they're more trusted than other sources JMHO

I don't think it was wrong to question the rumors account considering he only has 41 tweets total. I don't follow basketball enough outside of our school to know whether he's a legit source or not, but the account was just started in Feb.
    50/50 is all right I guess, but he wasn't the first to break the Byington departure as many have said. A JMU beat writer was a full day ahead on that.

timing is everything in these situations. Sometimes it's not about being first.
    When people rush announcements on social media, sometimes it takes away the opportunity for the coaches to deliver the message to their team in the way they'd like to. Might not matter as much in this case since it is an assistant, but worth thinking about, especially since they can't call normal meetings together right now

Quote Originally Posted by gsudarlin View Post
    Only Hayes & Burg were correct from that list

Then there was interim Wilson

Outside of that I don't know the others.
    So you’re saying only 2 of the 4 were correct but don’t know the full list of finalists? So it’s possible all 4 were correct then.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    So you’re saying only 2 of the 4 were correct but don’t know the full list of finalists? So it’s possible all 4 were correct then.
    No, they weren't all correct. That much I do know.

Time will tell. We need a good fundamentals coach, a floor leader who can make in game decisions and this goes beyond the scope of being a good recruiter. I’ll trust in the new AD that he knows how to coach, not only recruit. I think we all have experienced those concerns over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    You were conclusive in your answer. Who do you think that hire was? I am not saying Burg is; I have never thought about it. I am just curious who you think was “that” hire.
    Jeff Monken

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Jeff Monken
    Never even a coordinator before he came to Georgia Southern.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    On paper both Willie Fritz and Chris Hatcher would be better, and some could bring up BVG as the only HC of ours who came in with experience at the professional level.

Then there's CY who obviously didn't work out but I'd argue was a good hire on paper that's hard to question without hindsight. If Burg is a better hire on paper than CY it's not obvious at first glance.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.