TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring Seniors

Default Re: Spring Seniors

Basketball is who I feel really bad for. I would rather have my season cancelled at the very beginning than to be 2 wins away from playing in the NCAA tourney and it gets shut down.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Basketball is who I feel really bad for. I would rather have my season cancelled at the very beginning than to be 2 wins away from playing in the NCAA tourney and it gets shut down.
    between basketball and baseball, heck what am I saying, we got a good golf team, softball was looking promising. This whole thing bites!

Rumor is all spring sports may get an exception to play again next year. Willing to bet there are more schools who can't afford it, vs the ones who can.

No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Rumor is all spring sports may get an exception to play again next year. Willing to bet there are more schools who can't afford it, vs the ones who can.

[FONT="] [/FONT]

There will definitely be some financial strain but it’s MUCH easier to afford this happening in the spring vs football or basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

We could be really good in baseball and basketball depending on who is willing and able to put their life on hold a year.

I don't think it would cost as much as people think because pretty much all spring sports have a lot more people on their roster than there are the maximum number of scholarships you can give.

Baseball for example has 11.5 scholarship max and everyone has rosters of 40+ people.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We could be really good in baseball and basketball depending on who is willing and able to put their life on hold a year.

I don't think it would cost as much as people think because pretty much all spring sports have a lot more people on their roster than there are the maximum number of scholarships you can give.

Baseball for example has 11.5 scholarship max and everyone has rosters of 40+ people.
    Basketball is not a spring sport. NCAA is still discussing winter sports. It will be interesting to see course schedules for senior student/athletes next year who finished their degree requirements this spring. The NCAA will have to waive some eligibility requirements.

I believe every one has to have a certain minimum requirement for scholarship level in baseball. Basketball is being considered because the conference tournaments were not held, or the entire postseason. Speaking of, the NCAA is considering releasing a bracket. Which is all subjective because you never know who's going to win a postseason tournament who wouldn't have otherwise gotten a bid, who's getting upset and will sit at home, etc. For us that includes WBB, MBB, softball, baseball, golf, tennis x 2, and rifle.

Without looking at all the rosters let's just use 3 for WBB, 3 for MBB, 5 for softball, 4 full for baseball between 8, 1 for golf, 7 for tennis, and 1 for rifle. That's 24 scholarships. I have no idea how our sports work but let's assume they are all full rides.

24 x $18,800 for 2 semesters = $451,584.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CtZ...SgvWRklm2/view

Titans cut their kicker. Interesting, making room for Bass?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I believe every one has to have a certain minimum requirement for scholarship level in baseball. Basketball is being considered because the conference tournaments were not held, or the entire postseason. Speaking of, the NCAA is considering releasing a bracket. Which is all subjective because you never know who's going to win a postseason tournament who wouldn't have otherwise gotten a bid, who's getting upset and will sit at home, etc. For us that includes WBB, MBB, softball, baseball, golf, tennis x 2, and rifle.

Without looking at all the rosters let's just use 3 for WBB, 3 for MBB, 5 for softball, 4 full for baseball between 8, 1 for golf, 7 for tennis, and 1 for rifle. That's 24 scholarships. I have no idea how our sports work but let's assume they are all full rides.

24 x $18,800 for 2 semesters = $451,584.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CtZ...SgvWRklm2/view
    Don't forget that we're also not going to have any more operational expenses (including travel costs) for the spring sports. Unless our spring sports turn a profit from ticket sales (which I really doubt) there's going to be money leftover from that.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Don't forget that we're also not going to have any more operational expenses (including travel costs) for the spring sports. Unless our spring sports turn a profit from ticket sales (which I really doubt) there's going to be money leftover from that.
    The AF has mentioned they will potentially do refunds for the cancelled games. The only teams with season tickets are softball, soccer, and baseball.
    Last edited by 1peatfor7; 15th March 2020 at 02:15 PM.