TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Sun Belt be next

Default Re: Will the Sun Belt be next

Wider splits on the OL and no huddle would immediately make our offense better. Even if we changed nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Wider splits on the OL and no huddle would immediately make our offense better. Even if we changed nothing else.
    I’m not convinced that either one by themselves would make a huge difference. Maybe no huddle + checking plays from the OC’s box would help. Again, I’m not sure how much.

Being able to throw the ball effectively when we want to would probably accomplish more than any of the above.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I’m not convinced that either one by themselves would make a huge difference. Maybe no huddle + checking plays from the OC’s box would help. Again, I’m not sure how much.

Being able to throw the ball effectively when we want to would probably accomplish more than any of the above.

I’m not saying it would all of a sudden make us a juggernaut. It wouldn’t. But it’s 2 simple changes that would immediately make us better.

We do need to be able to throw the ball more effectively. But I don’t believe there’s a lot we can do about that schematically if Werts is still going to be a spaz.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

I’m not saying it would all of a sudden make us a juggernaut. It wouldn’t. But it’s 2 simple changes that would immediately make us better.

We do need to be able to throw the ball more effectively. But I don’t believe there’s a lot we can do about that schematically if Werts is still going to be a spaz.
    I think we’re talking about philosophy and scheme here, not players. Right?
    Thanks, Rastabot!

I think we’re talking about philosophy and scheme here, not players. Right?

Wrong. I’m talking about both. I’m talking about schematic and philosophical changes we can make with this current roster.

I don't think Werts is as big a problem as overall scheme...even though he IS incredibly uncomfortable throwing the football without play action.

The solution to that is a much more active short passing game. (Notice how I fearlessly take on both Half and Fuzz. ANY IDIOT could see I am 100% right, lol.) Actually I'm sure you will disagree but it seemed to me that Werts did just fine with short passes and was very accurate. From Monkey oops damn that spell check right down to the present day, our coaches have ideologically opposed developing a short passing game, even though short passes are EXPONENTIALLY easier than long ones (think about it...the spread of field covered literally increases with the square of the distance). But we have been told on this board that people have trouble imagining exponential relationships.

So let's keep it simple. Short passes easy. Long passes hard. Werts good w/ short passes. Throw short passes. Presto your option game should open right up.

All you really need is something to force the other team's DBs not to crowd the box or take away the ends.

Wrong. I’m talking about both. I’m talking about schematic and philosophical changes we can make with this current roster.
    I guess I should have put “we” in italics?

As in, not you?
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    The solution to that is a much more active short passing game. (Notice how I fearlessly take on both Half and Fuzz. ANY IDIOT could see I am 100% right, lol.) Actually I'm sure you will disagree but it seemed to me that Werts did just fine with short passes and was very accurate. From Monkey oops damn that spell check right down to the present day, our coaches have ideologically opposed developing a short passing game, even though short passes are EXPONENTIALLY easier than long ones (think about it...the spread of field covered literally increases with the square of the distance). But we have been told on this board that people have trouble imagining exponential relationships.

So let's keep it simple. Short passes easy. Long passes hard. Werts good w/ short passes. Throw short passes. Presto your option game should open right up.

All you really need is something to force the other team's DBs not to crowd the box or take away the ends.
    Ruse worked hard to integrate short passes in 2014-15. They weren’t particularly effective, as we couldn’t execute against one-on-one coverage after Ellison shredded his shoulder.

IMO, an explosive running team shouldn’t have to develop much of a short passing game just for the sake of having one. When you’re averaging 5+ yards per carry, there’s not much reason to throw bubble screens or other plays designed to pick up short yardage without much chance of breaking free. Good running offenses should be able to accomplish the same thing with their running plays.

What we NEED to do is make sure our passing game complements the rest of the offense. I didn’t see us using the pass to exploit defenders who were attacking our run game last season. Our passing game was mostly aimed at going over the top for high-risk, high-reward plays. That’s fine when you’re an elite running team, but . . . y’all can probably finish the sentence.

In any case, the passing game has to work together with the running attack. Whatever concepts/plays will slow defenses from blowing up our primary running plays might help tremendously.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

In any case, the passing game has to work together with the running attack. Whatever concepts/plays will slow defenses from blowing up our primary running plays might help tremendously.
    That's kind of the bottom line.

Rereading your post, though, you pick on bubble screens and short yardage "without much chance of breaking free." What I had in mind is anything long enough to pull DBs off the line but also short enough to complete. Werts does great in the 10 yard range. Very accurate, actually.