TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 11121314 LastLast

Thread: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Thumbs down Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...yzewski-1.html

Check his record at Army, then check out that he won a championship at Duke 1985-1986 when he started coaching at Duk e in 1980. As I said, it’s a much easier job at Duke because all he has to do is break even in conference to make it to the NCAA tourney. He doesn’t have to win it all like he would have at Army where he didn’t have one NCAA tournament appearance. Sorry for the confusion. But, when you are in a 1 bid conference and the standard is winning the conference tournament to get in the NCAA tournament then there is very little room for error. Coach K has plenty of room for error as does the majority of power 5 coaches. If you compare Coach K’s first 7 years of coaching to coach B then I think coach b has done pretty dang well. Coach K had some awful years at Army. I certainly think coach K is a great basketball coach but that is not the point. The point is it takes time to build a program. Yea, it’s a pretty dang high ceiling in the job he is in and conference he coaches in and not many coaches can break through that ceiling. Give him the job at UGA or Vandy or Ole Miss and the ceiling gets a lot lower. I’m pulling for the team but if I were betting each year I wouldn’t bet on any SunBelt team making the tournament because it’s impossible to tell who is going to be able to get through the tournament.
    Coach K had a winning record 3 out of the 5 years at army. Two of those years were very good seasons. He also lead Army to a NIT appearance and that was back when the NIT meant something.

2. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Coach K had a winning record 3 out of the 5 years at army. Two of those years were very good seasons. He also lead Army to a NIT appearance and that was back when the NIT meant something.
    The bottom line is Coach K knows basketball X’s and O’s while Byington... well... let’s be honest here, Byington is never going to be asked to coach Team USA.

Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Florida State, is seriously athletical and deep, the HC uses his total roster. CY has a nice gig and he's recruiting studs!

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Yep, we knew that when we got him, he coaches a lot like his mentor Crimmins. Well we are all pulling for the guy.
    Well, Cremmins best team had a guy named James Forest to go with his guards.(Brian Oliver, Kenny Anderson)

20-7, 15-4(conference), Another double/double(18-10). 29 min. only 2 TO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Well, Cremmins best team had a guy named James Forest to go with his guards.(Brian Oliver, Kenny Anderson)
    Nope. Forrest didn't play with either of them. He came the year after Kenny declared early for the draft. Oliver and Dennis Scott, the other part of the Lethal Weapon 3 team that lost to UNLV in the Final Four, were already gone too. That LW3 team had Malcolm Mackey as the main guy in the post. Not really a star by any stretch, but serviceable.

But I think it's pretty safe to say Cremins' teams were very much driven by the guards/forwards he recruited. Probably the best "big man" I can remember him having (Tom Hammonds) was 6'9.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by GaSou93 View Post
    Nope. Forrest didn't play with either of them. He came the year after Kenny declared early for the draft. Oliver and Dennis Scott, the other part of the Lethal Weapon 3 team that lost to UNLV in the Final Four, were already gone too. That LW3 team had Malcolm Mackey as the main guy in the post. Not really a star by any stretch, but serviceable.

But I think it's pretty safe to say Cremins' teams were very much driven by the guards/forwards he recruited. Probably the best "big man" I can remember him having (Tom Hammonds) was 6'9.
    You are right of course. My childhood memories are fading. Looking at that Tech team of '91-'92 There were four starters that would be drafted (Barry, Best, Mackey, and Geiger) plus Forest who wasn't, heck of a talented team. Digressing from my point of contrasting Cremins and CMB, that Cremins would recruit and use big men from time to time. Hammonds and Geiger were good bigs, Geiger was a 7 footer, spent ten seasons in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    You are right of course. My childhood memories are fading. Looking at that Tech team of '91-'92 There were four starters that would be drafted (Barry, Best, Mackey, and Geiger) plus Forest who wasn't, heck of a talented team. Digressing from my point of contrasting Cremins and CMB, that Cremins would recruit and use big men from time to time. Hammonds and Geiger were good bigs, Geiger was a 7 footer, spent ten seasons in the league.
    Yeah, I'd forgotten Geiger hung around that long. Certainly can agree with your point. If CMB could find a guy half as good as those two and USE him, we might be on to something.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by GaSou93 View Post
    Yeah, I'd forgotten Geiger hung around that long. Certainly can agree with your point. If CMB could find a guy half as good as those two and USE him, we might be on to something.
    +1, at our level a Geiger type pretty much out of the question but a Crawford type as has been demonstrated isn't. Richmond this year has a solid 6'11-7 foot'er who is solid. They are out there just have to do your homework. My concern/interest is what big's will he bring in for next season. I would think they would have to be either JUCO's or a grad transfer. Doubt a freshman would be able to come in and give quality minutes. Whoever he brings in as a big will need to contribute from game one. You know this has to be a priority or at least I hope it is.

We are 5.5 dogs tonight.