TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Every now and then a SB championship would be nice(smile).
    If we consider ourselves in the top third of a 12 team conference, a trip to the Dance every four years isn't an unreasonable expectation.

2. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Yea exactly weíre in the sun belt this isnít the most difficult conference out there to win in..but you know we just like to finish in the same place every year in a 1 bid league

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    If we consider ourselves in the top third of a 12 team conference, a trip to the Dance every four years isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    i would like to think that is a reasonable expectation.

If we can pull out a win in Atlanta, we would be in great shape. (That App State loss at home may really come back to haunt us)
    State still has to play us and little rock, Texas State has to play UTA and a hot South Alabama team. App is in good shape to win their final two game (coastal at home and ULM on the road) and jump right in the middle of thing. The number 3 & 4 seeds are really up in the air and Texas State still has a chance to choke away the #2 seed.

Took 6 years for Coach K at Duke to win a ACC championship. It takes time to build a championship caliber program. Think of the shape our program was in when Coach B took over. He came in and made us competitive right away but had to do a patch job and depend on transfers and JC guys. He then went the HS route and we knew there would be a few lean years and there were but now we know we are competitive every year. We are no Duke or UNC or UK so being at or near the top of our league has us all spoiled. We always want more. Make it to NCAA then we got to get a win. Not enough to just make it. I’m certainly wanting us to win our conference championship game and make the tournament but in a 1 bid league it is dang hard to do because there are 8 other programs in our league that want the same thing. Much easier to Coach in a P5 conference where just breaking even gets you in the tournament. Unfortunately, some of our fan base compares our job to a Vandy or UGA or Ole Miss where just an average season gets in the tournament. We have to have a great season to get in and even then 1 off shooting night gets you upset and out of any tournament. I’m pulling for these guys to get it going down the stretch and win the whole thing which I know they can do but I also see some very talented teams ahead of us that can do the same thing. I see USA, UALR, TSU, UTA, Gag and App as very evenly matched and all could win this thing just like us. I really see TSU and USA fighting this thing out even though USA almost lost to a bottom dweller CCU team yesterday. Just goes to show that any given game any team in our conference can beat any other team. Going to be a heavy of a finish. Go Eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Took 6 years for Coach K at Duke to win a ACC championship. It takes time to build a championship caliber program. Think of the shape our program was in when Coach B took over. He came in and made us competitive right away but had to do a patch job and depend on transfers and JC guys. He then went the HS route and we knew there would be a few lean years and there were but now we know we are competitive every year. We are no Duke or UNC or UK so being at or near the top of our league has us all spoiled. We always want more. Make it to NCAA then we got to get a win. Not enough to just make it. I’m certainly wanting us to win our conference championship game and make the tournament but in a 1 bid league it is dang hard to do because there are 8 other programs in our league that want the same thing. Much easier to Coach in a P5 conference where just breaking even gets you in the tournament. Unfortunately, some of our fan base compares our job to a Vandy or UGA or Ole Miss where just an average season gets in the tournament. We have to have a great season to get in and even then 1 off shooting night gets you upset and out of any tournament. I’m pulling for these guys to get it going down the stretch and win the whole thing which I know they can do but I also see some very talented teams ahead of us that can do the same thing. I see USA, UALR, TSU, UTA, Gag and App as very evenly matched and all could win this thing just like us. I really see TSU and USA fighting this thing out even though USA almost lost to a bottom dweller CCU team yesterday. Just goes to show that any given game any team in our conference can beat any other team. Going to be a heavy of a finish. Go Eagles!
    Nobody is comparing us to any of those P5 teams. Apparently winning a conference tournament once out of 28 years is too much to ask though. We don't have to have a great season. It's the fact that we can't manage to win 3 games at the END of the season, many times with better talent than our opponents, that continues to frustrate this fanbase.

7. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Nobody is comparing us to any of those P5 teams. Apparently winning a conference tournament once out of 28 years is too much to ask though. We don't have to have a great season. It's the fact that we can't manage to win 3 games at the END of the season, many times with better talent than our opponents, that continues to frustrate this fanbase.
    +1

I cant say I understand a logic that would suggest a program that hasnít won the conference (regular season OR tournament) in nearly 30 years has a spoiled fan base.

Granted, it took coach K a few years to get Duke up and going at full speed, but he also had a trend of consistent improvement year over year before that... Byington does not, he has been all over the place like his players free throws.

I think Byington is a great guy, I really like him a lot and overall he has done a very good job, but the unfortunate reality is that he has hit his ceiling. Maybe the program is okay with that because of the price tag involved, thatís fair, but thatís never going to stop a fan base that graduated from GS, donates dollars and/or buys season tickets from wanting more for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    +1

I cant say I understand a logic that would suggest a program that hasnít won the conference (regular season OR tournament) has a spoiled fan base.

Granted, it took coach K a few years to get Duke up and going at full speed, but he also had a trend of consistent improvement year over year before that... Byington does not, he has been all over the place like his players free throws.

I think Byington is a great guy, I really like him a lot and overall he has done a very good job, but the unfortunate reality is that he has hit his ceiling. Maybe the program is okay with that because of the price tag involved, thatís fair, but thatís never going to stop a fan base that graduated from GS, donates dollars and/or buys season tickets from wanting more for the program.
    Now that heís been here this amount of time, itís readily apparent whatís holding us back. He recruits enough solid talent and does everything needed to run a solid program.

The missing element is in his coaching.

Philosophy & Scheme
    Team Discipline on the court

In order for us to take that next step, Byington has to take his coaching game to the next level .

Heís got to change some of his philosophical principles to allow for perhaps a different player skill-set or varied approach. Allow for different size and ability players to help secure wins. Have a scheme that can morph when needed to adjust to battle different opponents styles of play.

The discipline of his team to practice and shoot FTs at a higher clip + to tell certain players which shots they do or do not have the green light to launch.

Go study and learn from others at the highest level and watch film and elevate his coaching game so that the players and assistant coaches can benefit + ultimately he and the fan base can benefit.

/EndRant

Crawford last night in their win, 28 points(12-12 from field, 4-10 from line) and 14 or 18 rebounds(cant remember which). Played 29 min., 1 turnover.

10. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Byington has the philosophy he has. It isn’t going to change. We will remain a guard oriented team with heavy 3 point shooting emphasis. It just remains to be seen if that style will get us to the NCAA tourney