TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 106

Thread: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

  1. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    ‘member when we thought CMB might be stolen away?
    Lol. We have a small group with bets on who the new AD will get rid of first (MB, RH or CL) because we are all convinced none will be “stolen away.”

  2. #52

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Lol. We have a small group with bets on who the new AD will get rid of first (MB, RH or CL) because we are all convinced none will be “stolen away.”
    +1

    you had a few people that thought CB was going to get stolen away, but the realist fans knew that wasn't the case. He can always make a lateral move, but a program that committed to building or continuing a championship type program was/is never going to hire him away from us.

  3. #53

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    what big men do we have coming in next year. id take appys center, the big kid who had 2 points last night. id take that type of kid any day.

  4. #54

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    I didn't hear the entire post game show, I only heard about 1/2 of it. During that time he said that some players were selfish and didn't play team basketball at the end of the game. He also bailed on the regular season, taking a line from posters on this board. The Sunbelt conference is a one bid league so the tournament is really what matters, so we just need to figure it out and get on a roll during the tournament. That was a pretty said statement to hear from the head coach, sounded like a defeated guy. If he did say guys were not running the plays he called, he's a lame coach for not taking action. Someone should have been on the bench or getting an ear full or running after the game and I know that didn't happen because players we cut lose right after the game. I saw one player walking the halls when I was leaving and another walking outside the guy when I was leaving.


    The App state coach won this game. In the middle of the 1st half when we were up and starting to take the game over, he put the breaks on his players. Every time they got the ball and started to push it up, he would tell his players to stop and walk it up the court. He knew we were going to run them out the guy, playing a fast tempo up and down type game. He changed his style and made it an half court, slow, grind it out type game and that's what gave them a chance to win. We look good running and jumping, but the wheels fall off in a slow half court game. That's so painfully clear when we have a lead and try to milk the clock the last five minutes of a game. This team has no leadership on or off the court.

  5. #55

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    what big men do we have coming in next year. id take appys center, the big kid who had 2 points last night. id take that type of kid any day.
    there's plenty of kids out their like him, but CB is not interested in that style players. He doesn't know how to build a basketball team, he gets the most athletic kids he can recruit and put the together. Then the tries to make a team out of them. That's why we end up with a bunch of good players, but not a well rounded team. Year end and year out we having to play with small lineups and this year playing with out a true point guard.

  6. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    I didn't hear the entire post game show, I only heard about 1/2 of it. During that time he said that some players were selfish and didn't play team basketball at the end of the game. He also bailed on the regular season, taking a line from posters on this board. The Sunbelt conference is a one bid league so the tournament is really what matters, so we just need to figure it out and get on a roll during the tournament. That was a pretty said statement to hear from the head coach, sounded like a defeated guy. If he did say guys were not running the plays he called, he's a lame coach for not taking action. Someone should have been on the bench or getting an ear full or running after the game and I know that didn't happen because players we cut lose right after the game. I saw one player walking the halls when I was leaving and another walking outside the guy when I was leaving.


    The App state coach won this game. In the middle of the 1st half when we were up and starting to take the game over, he put the breaks on his players. Every time they got the ball and started to push it up, he would tell his players to stop and walk it up the court. He knew we were going to run them out the guy, playing a fast tempo up and down type game. He changed his style and made it an half court, slow, grind it out type game and that's what gave them a chance to win. We look good running and jumping, but the wheels fall off in a slow half court game. That's so painfully clear when we have a lead and try to milk the clock the last five minutes of a game. This team has no leadership on or off the court.
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

    Byington wants to be a nice guy and probably has trouble laying down the law. If you can’t get guys to quit being selfish, the bench has plenty of room.

    By God, if I were a coach, there would be 0.0% of that selfish crap. A guy who gets confused about that dynamic wouldn’t be on the floor. Wouldn’t be on the team.

    You gotta be a hardass sometimes. I think Byington has a real problem doing that.

  7. #57

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    +1

    you had a few people that thought CB was going to get stolen away, but the realist fans knew that wasn't the case. He can always make a lateral move, but a program that committed to building or continuing a championship type program was/is never going to hire him away from us.
    Didn't a school whose name became synonymous with the small-time mentality of the SoCon make an offer for our coach? When that happens, it's a good idea to put on some humility and realize where we are in Division I at large with our basketball budget.

    BTW, for those that like to point to Wofford as supposed proof that budgets and facilities don't matter and we should win championships because we're Georgia Southern, check in on them this season. Regression to the mean is real and cherry-picking doesn't change reality.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 16th February 2020 at 09:49 AM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    17,932

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Didn't a school whose name became synonymous with the small-time mentality of the SoCon make an offer for our coach? When that happens, it's a good idea to put on some humility and realize where we are in Division I at large with our basketball budget.

    BTW, for those that like to point to Wofford as supposed proof that budgets and facilities don't matter and we should win championships because we're Georgia Southern, check in on them this season. Regression to the mean is real and cherry-picking doesn't change reality.
    That was UNC-Wilmington, who just fired the guy they hired instead of Byington. They pay about the same thing we do, but he went to school there so I think they thought he would come back.

  9. #59

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    That was UNC-Wilmington, who just fired the guy they hired instead of Byington. They pay about the same thing we do, but he went to school there so I think they thought he would come back.
    But he was also a candidate for the Elon job, wasn't he?

    https://www.augustachronicle.com/new...-in-statesboro
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    17,932

    Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Mountaineers (Statesboro)

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    But he was also a candidate for the Elon job, wasn't he?

    https://www.augustachronicle.com/new...-in-statesboro
    Maybe, but again, their salary isn't much different than ours so I assume they thought the lure would be being closer to home. It certainly wasn't their budget.

Similar Threads

  1. Eagles Vs Mountaineers Game Thread 2018
    By TrueBlueDrew in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 409
    Last Post: 26th October 2018, 10:21 AM
  2. Business as Usual for Eagles, Mountaineers
    By Charlie K. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th October 2015, 01:42 PM
  3. Eagles vs. Mountaineers (Game 1)
    By Eagle22 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 7th March 2015, 12:22 PM
  4. Eagles, Mountaineers Take Rivalry to National Stage
    By Charlie K. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25th September 2014, 02:46 PM
  5. Lady Eagles and Mountaineers Tip at 5 p.m. Tonight
    By EagleInfo in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th January 2011, 11:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •