TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    46,642

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    BTW Fritz just landed the 66th ranked class in the country the second highest in the AAC in a state with a 1/3 of the talent in this one with the same number of FBS teams. Not coming up with 300K and keeping him has cost GS millions likely since.
    Why didn't you give the AF a $5M one time donation to cover the costs of the extra $600K a year, plus the assistant pool, and the gradual increase of salary?

    FACTS:
    Fritz was approached with a raise/extension after becoming bowl eligible in October.
    At some point a physical contract was offered. There is proof and a paper trail of said contract.
    Fritz never signed the extension and instead went looking for a new job.
    Fritz was making in the $600K range, and was offered something like $750K.
    Tulane offered $1.2M, and his current salary is $1.6M.

    So even if we had the funds for $900K, there is no way he takes that over $1.2M.
    Last edited by 1peatfor7; 25th February 2020 at 08:10 PM.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    27,828

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    It wasn't $300K. From what I understood, we offered him a raise from $500K to $700K during the season and he never signed it. He nearly tripled his salary to $1.2M when he went to Tulane and has I think gotten another $400K a year raise since he got there. Unless you were to have won the lottery and paid his salary yourself, we were not coming up with the money to keep him.
    The friction started after the 2014 season, not the offer of a new contract in 2015.

    Reading between the lines, it looks like Fritz was pissed about not getting a newer deal after winning the conference title in his first year and got serious about finding somewhere else in 2015.

    Anything offered in 2015 was doomed to fail at that point.


  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    8,924

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The friction started after the 2014 season, not the offer of a new contract in 2015.

    Reading between the lines, it looks like Fritz was pissed about not getting a newer deal after winning the conference title in his first year and got serious about finding somewhere else in 2015.

    Anything offered in 2015 was doomed to fail at that point.
    not rehashing the whole thing over again, but anything offered less than $1.2M was doomed to fail as well. If he got his panties in a wad over getting an extension (didn't he have the guaranteed extension after 7 wins on his first contract?) but not a raise after year one, then that's on him. I think the sheer fact that he sat on the new contract for months and did not sign it meant he was already looking for more money and knew from his representation that he was going to get offers at the end of the year. I don't blame him for chasing the money, but that is exactly what he did.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    27,828

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    not rehashing the whole thing over again, but anything offered less than $1.2M was doomed to fail as well. If he got his panties in a wad over getting an extension (didn't he have the guaranteed extension after 7 wins on his first contract?) but not a raise after year one, then that's on him. I think the sheer fact that he sat on the new contract for months and did not sign it meant he was already looking for more money and knew from his representation that he was going to get offers at the end of the year. I don't blame him for chasing the money, but that is exactly what he did.
    It's likely you're right as well, although a new deal after 2014 may have given us another year if he tried to ride out the roster in 2016 in hopes of getting an even bigger job.

    As it was he was looking to get out way before that point.

    The roster in 2016 had the potential to go undefeated....he would have been a really impressive candidate for any openings then.


  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    46,642

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Fritz's 1st year contract. I can't seem to find anything for the 2nd contract.
    https://issuu.com/thega/docs/willie_fritz_la14-639

    Contract term: Jan. 2014 - June 2014 (end of the fiscal year)
    May be renewed for 1 or more years as agreed between both GS and WF.

    Normally you get a 1 year deal and then a 3 year booster guarantee. It's both for the recruits and the coach.


    https://issuu.com/thega/docs/jeff_mo...acts__2013-14_
    Same wording in section 2 for both Fritz and Monken - AF owes them 36 months if not renewed, ie the AF guarantee on top of the 1 year deal.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  6. Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Even if we offered him 10-15% more than Tulane did that year, I can’t think of a single reason why he would have choose to stay in Statesboro.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    8,924

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Fritz's 1st year contract. I can't seem to find anything for the 2nd contract.
    https://issuu.com/thega/docs/willie_fritz_la14-639

    Contract term: Jan. 2014 - June 2014 (end of the fiscal year)
    May be renewed for 1 or more years as agreed between both GS and WF.

    Normally you get a 1 year deal and then a 3 year booster guarantee. It's both for the recruits and the coach.


    https://issuu.com/thega/docs/jeff_mo...acts__2013-14_
    Same wording in section 2 for both Fritz and Monken - AF owes them 36 months if not renewed, ie the AF guarantee on top of the 1 year deal.
    Here is the curious part.....ALL coaching contracts in the state of GA used to be one year contracts, then the boosters of the school would guarantee the rest. At the time, all state employees were on one years contracts. At some point, they changed. When the "job security" BS came out from Fritz, I argued that all state contracts were the same. I was shown that, at the time, Richt and PJ were on multi-year state contracts. Fritz was still on the original plan of one year state contract and three years guaranteed by the AF. When we hired CTS, he was given a multi-year state contract. So at some point along the way, the BOR allowed the contracts to become multi-year and we did not change until AFTER Fritz left. I wonder when the state changed it and if Fritz was able to have had a multi-year contract but we chose to stay with the same contract we always used.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  8. #38

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Even if we offered him 10-15% more than Tulane did that year, I can’t think of a single reason why he would have choose to stay in Statesboro.
    Likely opportunity to win 10+ games and leave the following year for ‘next level’ money?
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

    P.S.: Have a nice day!

  9. Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Likely opportunity to win 10+ games and leave the following year for ‘next level’ money?
    Yeah, that's definitely possible, but he could have also seen potential for a bigger payday after turning around a program in a better conference that has almost never seen success.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    46,642

    Default Re: In our years in the Sun Belt what championships have we won?

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely possible, but he could have also seen potential for a bigger payday after turning around a program in a better conference that has never almost never seen success.
    But you stay at GS one more year, and turn around and get a P5 job not another G5.

    Mel Tucker went 5-7 and got a BG1 job in his only season as a head coach.
    Drinkwitz took the keys to the Ferrari at Appys and in 1 season got a 400%? increase at a P5.
    Kiffin waited 3 years for a SEC opportunity.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 Sun Belt Softball Championships
    By ToastyGS in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th May 2016, 12:35 PM
  2. Ga. Southern to host 3 Sun Belt championships in next 3 years
    By Eaglebacker in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29th May 2014, 03:30 PM
  3. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 5th December 2012, 01:58 PM
  4. 6 National Championships Are Getting Old
    By oldfart in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 27th September 2008, 12:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •