TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: AD search

  1. Default AD search

    From talking to several people on the committee I was told the plan is to hopefully have anew AD by April 1. Scott Farmer is a candidate along with a number of 1AA ADs and several guys who are 3rd or 4th in their current positions at P5 schools. It is widely accepted that our salary— TK made roughly 275K— will be going up to at least 400K and maybe higher

  2. Default Re: AD search

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebacker View Post
    From talking to several people on the committee I was told the plan is to hopefully have anew AD by April 1. Scott Farmer is a candidate along with a number of 1AA ADs and several guys who are 3rd or 4th in their current positions at P5 schools. It is widely accepted that our salary— TK made roughly 275K— will be going up to at least 400K and maybe higher

    Good.

    I think the higher salary will attract the kind of talent we need.

    I didn't hate TK, but although he tried, I don't think he was ever on the same wavelength as a lot if our fans and donors.

    One thing I will be looking for is someone who is good at relationships and contracts. Pissing off our best coaches is never gonna be a tactic for long term success. Sure, the AD is the boss and all.... But any AD worth his salt better be able to see the true nature of that relationship with any good coach.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    8,743

    Default Re: AD search

    I think if we were to poll everyone (yes, I know that's not possible) there would be just as many or more that were happy with what TK did as were upset by the job he did. Like an umpire or a ref, he is never going to make everyone happy. There are people that were not happy with him because he didn't let them have the access that they thought they should have or that they did have when Sammy was running things in FCS. Sometimes you have to changes things up to get things moving in the right direction. That made people mad early on and they never forgave him. When you consider that our budget probably doubled in his tenure, I'm ok with breaking a few eggs to make a better omelette.

    As for the coaches???? we'll never know because its all rumor and heresay. Somebody knows a guy that knows a guy that heard from a lady in church that they were all pissed off at him. It's a one sided argument and all rumor. When money gets involved and salaries and jobs are at stake, it's not surprising that people part ways unhappy. But who's fault is it? Is it the hard headed coach that didn't get the raise or get their way or is it the hard headed AD that didn't give them the raise? Or is it BOTH of them?!? If you are liked by everyone, you are not doing your job.

    It doesn't matter because we are going to have a new AD and TK here anymore. But if you think the new AD is going to come in and make everyone happy and blow smoke up everyone's butts, your mistaken. The new one will piss off just as many as TK did if they are here for 8 years like TK was.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  4. Default Re: AD search

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I think if we were to poll everyone (yes, I know that's not possible) there would be just as many or more that were happy with what TK did as were upset by the job he did. Like an umpire or a ref, he is never going to make everyone happy. There are people that were not happy with him because he didn't let them have the access that they thought they should have or that they did have when Sammy was running things in FCS. Sometimes you have to changes things up to get things moving in the right direction. That made people mad early on and they never forgave him. When you consider that our budget probably doubled in his tenure, I'm ok with breaking a few eggs to make a better omelette.

    As for the coaches???? we'll never know because its all rumor and heresay. Somebody knows a guy that knows a guy that heard from a lady in church that they were all pissed off at him. It's a one sided argument and all rumor. When money gets involved and salaries and jobs are at stake, it's not surprising that people part ways unhappy. But who's fault is it? Is it the hard headed coach that didn't get the raise or get their way or is it the hard headed AD that didn't give them the raise? Or is it BOTH of them?!? If you are liked by everyone, you are not doing your job.

    It doesn't matter because we are going to have a new AD and TK here anymore. But if you think the new AD is going to come in and make everyone happy and blow smoke up everyone's butts, your mistaken. The new one will piss off just as many as TK did if they are here for 8 years like TK was.
    I disagree.

    A great manager is someone who people respect and feel comfortable with.

    I can think of a couple throughout my career who fit that bill.

    Some people are better at this than others.

    Superstar managers are relatively rare, but they do exist. I think we can find someone who will at least manage things well without pissing off just as many people as he (or she) makes happy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    8,743

    Default Re: AD search

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I disagree.

    A great manager is someone who people respect and feel comfortable with.

    I can think of a couple throughout my career who fit that bill.

    Some people are better at this than others.

    Superstar managers are relatively rare, but they do exist. I think we can find someone who will at least manage things well without pissing off just as many people as he (or she) makes happy.
    The AD is not a "manager" of the fans. He has a job to do and it is impossible to make everyone happy.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  6. #6

    Default Re: AD search

    If the money really is going up that much, then I'm more convinced about the things I've heard.

    One piece of info I got was that it's a virtual certainty that Sweany will no become full-time AD and that no one else from inside will be next up. I had also heard that top assistants at P5 schools seem to be targets. I was unsure about that, but if the salary is going up, that gets a lot more believable.

    I'm still holding the same opinion I've had for the last few weeks. Georgia Southern needs someone and some ideas that are a bit outside the box. I don't think we need to totally burn down everything currently within the department, but success and growth has been stagnant over the last few years. It's time to do some new things.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

  7. #7

    Default Re: AD search

    Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    If the money really is going up that much, then I'm more convinced about the things I've heard.

    One piece of info I got was that it's a virtual certainty that Sweany will no become full-time AD and that no one else from inside will be next up. I had also heard that top assistants at P5 schools seem to be targets. I was unsure about that, but if the salary is going up, that gets a lot more believable.

    I'm still holding the same opinion I've had for the last few weeks. Georgia Southern needs someone and some ideas that are a bit outside the box. I don't think we need to totally burn down everything currently within the department, but success and growth has been stagnant over the last few years. It's time to do some new things.
    Add another GS campus in the metro ATL area.

  8. Default Re: AD search

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Good.

    I think the higher salary will attract the kind of talent we need.

    I didn't hate TK, but although he tried, I don't think he was ever on the same wavelength as a lot if our fans and donors.

    One thing I will be looking for is someone who is good at relationships and contracts. Pissing off our best coaches is never gonna be a tactic for long term success. Sure, the AD is the boss and all.... But any AD worth his salt better be able to see the true nature of that relationship with any good coach.
    Please explain what wave length you are talking about. Most of our fans have no clue how much more money it would take to even get us to the upper part of the SB financially. The problem GS fans have is the "myth" that we can do more with less/runts try harder deal than anyone else. Gotta get over that. Until GS can generate significantly more money than we are today the AD and athletic dept will always struggle with maintaining coaches and facilities that will allow us to get to where think the program should be. The relatively few boosters(approx 2k) we have cannot drive the ship. As long as we depend on student fees to drive the budget we will be in the same shape forever. I think TK did about as good of a job of managing our resources as we could have hoped for. Our donor/fan base is really low for where folks think we should be. A Boone Pickens type contributor would make even me a good AD.

  9. Default Re: AD search

    I heard that while the decisions are being run past Marrero, he isn’t the one orchestrating this process. Is that true?

  10. Default Re: AD search

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Please explain what wave length you are talking about. Most of our fans have no clue how much more money it would take to even get us to the upper part of the SB financially. The problem GS fans have is the "myth" that we can do more with less/runts try harder deal than anyone else. Gotta get over that. Until GS can generate significantly more money than we are today the AD and athletic dept will always struggle with maintaining coaches and facilities that will allow us to get to where think the program should be. The relatively few boosters(approx 2k) we have cannot drive the ship. As long as we depend on student fees to drive the budget we will be in the same shape forever. I think TK did about as good of a job of managing our resources as we could have hoped for. Our donor/fan base is really low for where folks think we should be. A Boone Pickens type contributor would make even me a good AD.
    IDK.

    It’s just a feeling.

    TK clearly tries to connect better, but there are some things about his demeanor (and where he’s from) which Appear to rub certain people the wrong way.

    I get the same feeling about his relationship with certain coaches. Fritz had that caveat about Dr Keel leaving in his contract for a reason. Lawyers ain’t cheap, and Fritz paid one to put that in for a reason. I really don’t think you’d see that sort of thing with another AD in place.

    I agree about money-but success would solve that. Just look at App.

    We have some noteworthy alums who simply don’t care. I don’t know why.

    Maybe the new AD can connect with them somehow.

    A new approach can’t hurt.

Similar Threads

  1. App AD search
    By boroeagle2 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th January 2015, 02:39 PM
  2. Replies: 232
    Last Post: 10th January 2014, 11:55 AM
  3. AJC's take on the Coaching Search
    By eagle95 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 27th December 2013, 10:06 PM
  4. Anything new on Day 3 of the search?
    By Eaglebacker in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24th November 2009, 06:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •