TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Paulson Streaming.....

1. Default Paulson Streaming.....

I love the idea of WiFi inside Paulson, but my experience was not great.

Seemed to not work at all for me at any game with @ 15k attendance, and would be unstable/dropping at the smaller games.

I eventually gave up.

What did y’all think about WiFi? Better luck? Maybe our seats are just in a bad spot.

Default Re: Paulson Streaming.....

Not enough WAPs. I don't care if it says each one covers 1500 and has 800 seats, you need more. If you've ever been to a Hawks/Falcons/United/Braves game, wifi works perfect. It's because they have the WAP's everywhere. They are in the aisles on the handrails, about 20 feet apart. On the columns or the overhangs.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

3. Default Re: Paulson Streaming.....

I had a bad experience with WiFi at stadium. In theory it sounded good, but obviously some changes need to be made to it. It wasn’t even powerful enough when less than 15,000 were in attendance. I got it to work maybe once this season. That’s pretty much just non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I love the idea of WiFi inside Paulson, but my experience was not great.

Seemed to not work at all for me at any game with @ 15k attendance, and would be unstable/dropping at the smaller games.

I eventually gave up.

What did y’all think about WiFi? Better luck? Maybe our seats are just in a bad spot.
    What type of device were you using? I know when Bulloch first installed the system, most iPhone users were having a really hard time staying connected due to the phone wanting to constantly switch between access points. They roam too easily.

Adjustments were made to the access points after the first game that greatly improved the experience, but there still were a couple of problem areas.

And before anyone complains too much, the stadium wide wireless was almost free for GS. But, if anyone has specifics on their poor wireless experience, I can certainly note those and see what improvements we can make before the fall.

5. Default Re: Paulson Streaming.....

Home side had limited access if at all with iPhone even after the adjustment referenced. Hope we can get more access this fall.

6. Default Re: Paulson Streaming.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Demoralizer View Post
    What type of device were you using? I know when Bulloch first installed the system, most iPhone users were having a really hard time staying connected due to the phone wanting to constantly switch between access points. They roam too easily.

Adjustments were made to the access points after the first game that greatly improved the experience, but there still were a couple of problem areas.

And before anyone complains too much, the stadium wide wireless was almost free for GS. But, if anyone has specifics on their poor wireless experience, I can certainly note those and see what improvements we can make before the fall.
    I was using an iPhone 6s.

(I have an Xr now. Not sure if that would affect anything.)

I tried mine all around the concessions of the home side and at various locations of the home stands.

I couldn’t make it stream consistently for more than a couple minutes anywhere. Not even during our sparse crowds at the rain games.

I get that it’s free, but come on. At the rain games; it should have been solid.

We discussed at length how great an improvement this would be. And it’s a wonderful idea. But for it to be considered an improvement, it needs to function.

Again. Any effort to make this usable would be appreciated. I think we need something like this to attract students. But a poor network which dumps everyone to the point they just get frustrated and give up ain’t the answer.

If we need to throw some money at BT to get it to work, let’s do it. Do whatever we need to.

In this era, there’s really no excuse for sitting in a data/radio dead zone. Especially with such a top shelf radio broadcast theoretically available.

I think many of us who take new people to games would be very happy to be able to say “just connect to our wifi-live streaming of our broadcast is something you’ll really enjoy.” If they aren’t into radio, they could check love stats. See some replays.

These days, any live sports event is enhanced by this blazing supercomputer we carry around with us. To such an extent that many younger people will not show up unless theirs works at the event.

People scratch their heads about student attendance. This is absolutely the reason it’s sagging. 100% solved. Young people these days need data access. Like it or not, it’s a critical part of their lives. A lot of them simply aren’t willing to drop out of the matrix for a couple of hours. They won’t do it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Demoralizer View Post

I sit in the middle of the deck on row 1. I was never able to get it to connect, my phone would say failure to connect to network.

From what I can tell, there are only two APs for the deck on either side.

In any case, it's pretty easy to tell that the network wasn't tuned and load tested for a possible 20k concurrent users. I would think that network testing equipment can be used to simulate thousands of simultaneous connections to stress the network like it would be during a game. I know there was a call to have people show up to help "test" the network, but a couple of hundred users that don't represent a good sample of the concentrated user densities you'd see throughout the stadium on gameday won't give you an accurate test.

Likely there isn't enough APs in the stadium. The backbone should be able to handle the throughput but if no can reliably get access then it doesn't matter.

I don't even care to stream anything, I just want to be able to access scores and social media (Twitter more specifically) during the game. If each user is capped on throughput to discourage major streaming then I'm cool with that, although some people may want to watch other games while in the stadium.

I really hope this gets corrected for next season as it was a great addition to the gameday experience. However it feels kinda half assed as it was never really addressed when people were reporting problems. Of course that's kinda par for the course with some of the things we do.

Oh well, I know the wireless at Ole Miss will work great when we're there. It did in 2016, should be even better at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I was using an iPhone 6s.

(I have an Xr now. Not sure if that would affect anything.)

I tried mine all around the concessions of the home side and at various locations of the home stands.

I couldn’t make it stream consistently for more than a couple minutes anywhere. Not even during our sparse crowds at the rain games.

I get that it’s free, but come on. At the rain games; it should have been solid.

We discussed at length how great an improvement this would be. And it’s a wonderful idea. But for it to be considered an improvement, it needs to function.

Again. Any effort to make this usable would be appreciated. I think we need something like this to attract students. But a poor network which dumps everyone to the point they just get frustrated and give up ain’t the answer.

If we need to throw some money at BT to get it to work, let’s do it. Do whatever we need to.

In this era, there’s really no excuse for sitting in a data/radio dead zone. Especially with such a top shelf radio broadcast theoretically available.

I think many of us who take new people to games would be very happy to be able to say “just connect to our wifi-live streaming of our broadcast is something you’ll really enjoy.” If they aren’t into radio, they could check love stats. See some replays.

These days, any live sports event is enhanced by this blazing supercomputer we carry around with us. To such an extent that many younger people will not show up unless theirs works at the event.

People scratch their heads about student attendance. This is absolutely the reason it’s sagging. 100% solved. Young people these days need data access. Like it or not, it’s a critical part of their lives. A lot of them simply aren’t willing to drop out of the matrix for a couple of hours. They won’t do it.
    This is 100% not the magic bullet to solving student attendance. It can help but it won't fix everything.

9. Default Re: Paulson Streaming.....

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    This is 100% not the magic bullet to solving student attendance. It can help but it won't fix everything.
    I think it’s a major factor.

Maybe a lot of students aren’t as into sports as they used to be. IDK.

But any way you cut it, seeing fewer students at these games than we used to bring in the very worst days of the Stowers era is pretty disappointing. Our school is nearly twice the size now.

I have another theory that will really piss a lot of people off..... Apologies.

A lot of younger people don’t like or understand option football. To people who don’t understand it, option looks just like HS ball-made for a QB who can’t throw. (I know this is inaccurate, but that’s pretty much the way the uninitiated see it.)

I like option the best-when it is done right. But we do absolutely zero to help newbies understand it. People here ridicule those who ask basic questions. That’s not helpful.

I know a couple young people who came to this site and bailed quickly. In fact, that’s why I asked guys a while back if they had any good tutorials. People made fun of me. My friends ain’t here no more. Take that however you wish.