TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio....

1. Default Re: Radio....

Quote Originally Posted by WEAGLE View Post
    Not trying to step on anyone's toes but our marketing and promotions inhale vigorously. Ideas are in the box, they are tried and true. We are just to comfortable with the way things are. I brought five people from Statesboro to their first game ever this year, they were amazed at what was going on in their community (we won).SMH Not a one of them had attended college anywhere. They're now asking who we will be playing in 2020 and they will be back. Maybe not season ticket holders but at least a game or two. Hey, they bought shirts for themselves and their kids. I was shocked to know that no one from either of the two families represented had any knowledge of what Ga Southern football was all about. They had heard about GS football but had never felt comfortable about coming to a game and fitting in, guess they thought it was only for people associated with GS.

I am greatly concerned about building our base. We need to develop ways to entice people to drive 5 miles to go to a game as well as attracting people to drive 3 hours to a game. I'm sorry but this is something that has concerned me for a long time.

Oh yeah, all the people around us have had the same seats for five years or more and made these Statesboro natives feel like part of the family. They have been invited to tailgate next year and they want to know what to bring.
    I share your concerns.

Maybe we will hire the RIGHT AD and things will improve.

We didnít need to market much during the early years because we got tons of good press. I donít think our marketing really evolved. We have such cool traditions, such an incredible home record, but you rarely see that communicated at all. We have a very rare and special history. Paulson is an incredible place. Yet, we are marketed like a small high school. A email here and there does not constitute an effective marketing campaign.

We need some aggressive tactics. Start a Paulson raffle (none of this BS where school employees and families are excluded.). Set it up where attendance is the only criteria, and ONLY someone with a scanned ticket who is still in the stadium after the final whistle can claim the prize. Give away a 4 wheeler or UTV each game. Watch our attendance get impressive. I donít know a lot of people who will go to our game if they didnít go to GS (or have a family member who did,) but I bet you an assload of locals will swing by and shell out for a ticket for a chance at a nice new Kawasaki.

We need fresh blood. I hope our new AD will see the value in stuff like this.

We want a full stadium-freaking make it full. This raffle idea will do it.

If we arenít willing to lie about attendance like everyone else, we need to boost actual attendance. This is one way I think would work well. Raffle a four wheeler or a bass boat. Watch the place fill up.

In the early days, people showed up because they knew they were seeing incredible history being made. We didnít need marketing. The press did it for us. That ainít the case now. Not until we start winning against big P5s. We need fresh ideas.

2. Default Re: Radio....

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I share your concerns.

Maybe we will hire the RIGHT AD and things will improve.

We didnít need to market much during the early years because we got tons of good press. I donít think our marketing really evolved. We have such cool traditions, such an incredible home record, but you rarely see that communicated at all. We have a very rare and special history. Paulson is an incredible place. Yet, we are marketed like a small high school. A email here and there does not constitute an effective marketing campaign.

We need some aggressive tactics. Start a Paulson raffle (none of this BS where school employees and families are excluded.). Set it up where attendance is the only criteria, and ONLY someone with a scanned ticket who is still in the stadium after the final whistle can claim the prize. Give away a 4 wheeler or UTV each game. Watch our attendance get impressive. I donít know a lot of people who will go to our game if they didnít go to GS (or have a family member who did,) but I bet you an assload of locals will swing by and shell out for a ticket for a chance at a nice new Kawasaki.

We need fresh blood. I hope our new AD will see the value in stuff like this.

We want a full stadium-freaking make it full. This raffle idea will do it.

If we arenít willing to lie about attendance like everyone else, we need to boost actual attendance. This is one way I think would work well. Raffle a four wheeler or a bass boat. Watch the place fill up.

In the early days, people showed up because they knew they were seeing incredible history being made. We didnít need marketing. The press did it for us. That ainít the case now. Not until we start winning against big P5s. We need fresh ideas.
    Who'd buy the prizes?

How many's in an assload of locals?

How much are you willing to bet on your idea?

Actually, I think attendance inhales vigorously because it is trending down everywhere. And as I recall, even when the Iggles were kicking *** in I-AA regular season attendance would be low (and maybe early round playoffs, too). I remember a certain linebacker calling out fans back in the 90s or 2000s (probably late 90s) for not showing up.

FBS was supposed to be a cure for that, I thought.
    ďWhen you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.Ē
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Default Re: Radio....

I agree with Country we need to knock off some name teams to reinvigorate the fan base. As for FCS, thank goodness we are in FBS. I didn’t hear the first news about the SoCon this past season. Don’t have a clue about the champion and nothing about The Citadel, Furman, Mercer or any of the rest. Irrelevant these days.

4. Default Re: Radio....

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    Who'd buy the prizes?

How many's in an assload of locals?

How much are you willing to bet on your idea?

Actually, I think attendance inhales vigorously because it is trending down everywhere. And as I recall, even when the Iggles were kicking *** in I-AA regular season attendance would be low (and maybe early round playoffs, too). I remember a certain linebacker calling out fans back in the 90s or 2000s (probably late 90s) for not showing up.

FBS was supposed to be a cure for that, I thought.
    It would be a cheap and easy way to guarantee an actual 15k average at our home games.

Ever pick up a Georgia Outdoor News? (I’m guessing probably not.)

It’s a run-of-the mill outdoor magazine which owes it’s circulation almost entirely to it’s raffle. (It’s not a pure raffle, but has to do with the score of a deer harvested and such. But that’s not relevant.)

Every year, they give away a new truck, a nice 4 wheeler, several rifles, bows and such as prizes.

They get a dealership to donate the truck, some other place to donate the 4 wheeler, etc. in exchange for ads.

I know several guys who subscribe to GON. In fact everyone I know who hunts deer in this state subscribes. No one actually reads it much. They subscribe for the raffle.

My idea of raffling some 4 wheelers and/or maybe a fishing boat would get Paulson past our attendance targets. I don’t think there’s any question.

Would be great publicity for whatever dealerships are involved. Would fill the stands.

A local private school raffles a new truck each year. (It’s a very small school. Probably 200 students, max.) If they can make money with that, we can use the raffle idea.

A small, local car dealership gives a brand new car to a lucky HS grad each year-just because. They have done it for probably 30 years straight. (People do remember that though. They definitely make that money back.)

Try it. Drop 10k on a couple of these UTVs and 4 wheelers (or get a local dealership to do it.). Watch this thing work.

Properly marketed, this would absolutely solve our attendance issues.

*Marketing is key. Our football games currently are not marketed well. Or much at all.

-It’s important that anyone who wins must be present to claim the prize. It’s also important to structure it in such a way that anyone present can win. (That 50/50 raffle exclusion for employees and their families is BS. That must not apply to this raffle.).

When we are talking a budget our size, this sort of thing is not a problem. Set it up right, market it right, and we will watch Paulson fill up again.

We just need fresh blood. We need innovation. I’m not sure we have ever seen innovative marketing for our program.

Depending on the product to become excellent again would be a mistake. We all know we have at least another season of DeBeese. I sure wouldn’t lay any big money on fielding an excellent offense.

It would be a cheap and easy way to guarantee an actual 15k average at our home games.

Ever pick up a Georgia Outdoor News? (I’m guessing probably not.)

It’s a run-of-the mill outdoor magazine which owes it’s circulation almost entirely to it’s raffle. (It’s not a pure raffle, but has to do with the score of a deer harvested and such. But that’s not relevant.)

Every year, they give away a new truck, a nice 4 wheeler, several rifles, bows and such as prizes.

They get a dealership to donate the truck, some other place to donate the 4 wheeler, etc. in exchange for ads.

I know several guys who subscribe to GON. In fact everyone I know who hunts deer in this state subscribes. No one actually reads it much. They subscribe for the raffle.

My idea of raffling some 4 wheelers and/or maybe a fishing boat would get Paulson past our attendance targets. I don’t think there’s any question.

Would be great publicity for whatever dealerships are involved. Would fill the stands.

A local private school raffles a new truck each year. (It’s a very small school. Probably 200 students, max.) If they can make money with that, we can use the raffle idea.

A small, local car dealership gives a brand new car to a lucky HS grad each year-just because. They have done it for probably 30 years straight. (People do remember that though. They definitely make that money back.)

Try it. Drop 10k on a couple of these UTVs and 4 wheelers (or get a local dealership to do it.). Watch this thing work.

Properly marketed, this would absolutely solve our attendance issues.

*Marketing is key. Our football games currently are not marketed well. Or much at all.

-It’s important that anyone who wins must be present to claim the prize. It’s also important to structure it in such a way that anyone present can win. (That 50/50 raffle exclusion for employees and their families is BS. That must not apply to this raffle.).

When we are talking a budget our size, this sort of thing is not a problem. Set it up right, market it right, and we will watch Paulson fill up again.

We just need fresh blood. We need innovation. I’m not sure we have ever seen innovative marketing for our program.

Depending on the product to become excellent again would be a mistake. We all know we have at least another season of DeBeese. I sure wouldn’t lay any big money on fielding an excellent offense.
    I I think you fail to realize Georgia Southern is not the only party that has to be involved in these things. Ford already sponsors on the radio broadcast and I think Chevy has a contract as well. If they are already paying the school why are they going to just give away a car. What’s in it for them. Do you not think Georgia Southern would love to be on the radio in Atlanta? But they can’t force radio stations to buy the rights. Marketing is not getting people just to give you free advertising. It is using a limited budget to effectively and efficiently get your message out there. If it was just as simple as calling somebody and telling them to give you a free atv there wouldn’t be empty g5 stadiums across the country.

6. Default Re: Radio....

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I I think you fail to realize Georgia Southern is not the only party that has to be involved in these things. Ford already sponsors on the radio broadcast and I think Chevy has a contract as well. If they are already paying the school why are they going to just give away a car. What’s in it for them. Do you not think Georgia Southern would love to be on the radio in Atlanta? But they can’t force radio stations to buy the rights. Marketing is not getting people just to give you free advertising. It is using a limited budget to effectively and efficiently get your message out there. If it was just as simple as calling somebody and telling them to give you a free atv there wouldn’t be empty g5 stadiums across the country.
    Hint:

There ARE empty G5 stadiums across the country.

Even with the rain games, we are still among the very top of the SB in actual attendance. (But we do have a problem. Our attendance has been falling pretty dramatically the last few years.)

But if we don't start playing ball (and either reporting attendance the way everyone else does, or boost actual attendance,) we will have a serious problem.

We do have attendance numbers to hit. It's a thing. We NEED to stay in FBS. We NEED to continue in the right direction.

My raffle idea would be more of a marketing situation that a local or regional dealership would be interested in. I think a grand prize of something really nice each game would suffice. Doesn't have to be a 4 wheeler. As long as it's something that would appeal to a lot of folks. Hell, a local outdoors store could raffle some canoes, kayaks, whatever. Just raffle several gift cards, let people choose what they prefer.

You could divide up the prize into several..... Instead of 5k on a new woods wagon, throw out 5 one thousand dollar gift cards to home depot (who doesn't need a new mower or new chain saw and some cool new stuff for the patio?). Or any major retailer.

I'm pretty sure you could get local businesses fired up about this idea. Rather than pay a couple thousand for a 30 second ad during the second TV time out of the 3rd quarter (which no one pays attention to,) they could donate something of equivalent value as the raffle prize and have absolutely everyone in the stadium know their name, remember their name and use their name as the reason they were in the stands at the final whistle and the reason they are coming back next week. (For those familiar with Georgia Outdoor News, this is exactly what happens. No one could tell you what stories were in the last issues, but they ALL will tell you about the raffle.)

Stuff like this is simple, easy, and would work like a charm.

Our marketing for football is just plain sad. I was no marketing major, but dang. This ain't hard. Give people a reason to show up in person and stay the whole game, and guess what.... They will.

The keys are:

-Valuable prizes. (No $100 gift cards. People ain't sitting through a rain game for that crap.)
    -ANYONE can win. As long as you are present and claim the prize in person-doesn't matter who you work for.
    -Some prizes at every home game.

I hope the new AD tries this. I think it would work very well. Might even make a few true blue fans out of people who come for the raffle, but see how much fun our home games are.

My raffle idea would be more of a marketing situation that a local or regional dealership would be interested in. I think a grand prize of something really nice each game would suffice. Doesn't have to be a 4 wheeler. As long as it's something that would appeal to a lot of folks. Hell, a local outdoors store could raffle some canoes, kayaks, whatever. Just raffle several gift cards, let people choose what they prefer.

You could divide up the prize into several..... Instead of 5k on a new woods wagon, throw out 5 one thousand dollar gift cards to home depot (who doesn't need a new mower or new chain saw and some cool new stuff for the patio?). Or any major retailer.

I'm pretty sure you could get local businesses fired up about this idea. Rather than pay a couple thousand for a 30 second ad during the second TV time out of the 3rd quarter (which no one pays attention to,) they could donate something of equivalent value as the raffle prize and have absolutely everyone in the stadium know their name, remember their name and use their name as the reason they were in the stands at the final whistle and the reason they are coming back next week. (For those familiar with Georgia Outdoor News, this is exactly what happens. No one could tell you what stories were in the last issues, but they ALL will tell you about the raffle.)

Our marketing for football is just plain sad. I was no marketing major, but dang. This ain't hard. Give people a reason to show up in person and stay the whole game, and guess what.... They will.

The keys are:

-Valuable prizes. (No $100 gift cards. People ain't sitting through a rain game for that crap.)
    -ANYONE can win. As long as you are present and claim the prize in person-doesn't matter who you work for.

I hope the new AD tries this. I think it would work very well. Might even make a few true blue fans out of people who come for the raffle, but see how much fun our home games are.
    Be careful posting this on public boards... we donít need rival conference members stealing your ideas and making a profit.

Hail southern

You don't fix it by giving **** away. You fix it by making the experience of a game better than the alternative.

You're fighting HD tv with the ability to watch multiple games at once with rewind capability to create your own instant replay, beer/snacks at cheap prices, a nice bathroom where you don't have to fight people...not to mention you're not sweating your *** off or dealing with rain or freezing cold.The problem is there are alternatives to attending a game.

Before all of our games were streamed/televised, you had to BE there to see it. It was hard to really see good highlights anywhere. For better or worse, making all of our games easier to see when you're not in the stadium is contributing to people not putting the same level of effort into attendance.

You have to make the gameday experience one that encourages returning, where people can experience something that makes them keep coming back. You don't do that with giveaways....that's just something you can do instead of that stupid Hair Guitar crap someone thought was a brilliant idea.

Adding WiFi was a GREAT move to make it easier to attend games and not experience a loss of what you have outside the game. We've just got to make it work and actually provide that benefit to everyone in the stadium as intended.You need ideas to fix the gameday experience, not just give stuff away.

Also the rules you are so enraged about apply to any contests to absolve the contest holders of any legal liability that would result from an employee or family member winning.....whoever ran the contest would be sued QUICK. You might as well get off of that tangent because you'll never see that change and it delegitamizes any point you're trying to make.

Hint:

There ARE empty G5 stadiums across the country.

Even with the rain games, we are still among the very top of the SB in actual attendance. (But we do have a problem. Our attendance has been falling pretty dramatically the last few years.)

But if we don't start playing ball (and either reporting attendance the way everyone else does, or boost actual attendance,) we will have a serious problem.

We do have attendance numbers to hit. It's a thing. We NEED to stay in FBS. We NEED to continue in the right direction.

The keys are:

This sounds a lot like Georgia Stateís marketing strategy.

The only thing that will repeatedly put people in the stands is to repeatedly put a good product on the field.