TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MBB - Cajuns vs Eagles (Hanner Fieldhouse)

Default Re: MBB - Cajuns vs Eagles (Hanner Fieldhouse)

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    Garns was all over that ref when they tried to say UL ball right in front of him.

Good win. Looked on tv like a good crowd.
    decent crowd, tale of two Halfs.

1st half really ugly shot terrible. 2nd half, better defense and shot well. Carter huge again, so was Crawley. You know if this team shoots well we can beat anyone in SB, win tournament and get a win in NCAA's. These kids will/do play defense. All comes down to putting the ball in the hole. Stomped them in second half, good win, needed win. We took care of business.

3. Default Re: MBB - Cajuns vs Eagles (Hanner Fieldhouse)

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    Garns was all over that ref when they tried to say UL ball right in front of him.

Good win. Looked on tv like a good crowd.
    Good, that was originally a horrible call. I’m glad they corrected it.

It’s good to have the students back.

This can beat anybody in the Sun Belt but I don't think they can win 3 or 4 in a row. Need to finish first or second to get the bye to the semifinals.

Tenacious defense, we couldn’t hit the ocean in first half but I liked the plan to drive the ball in the lane and dump off. Too many times our guys tried to drive in the lane and make something out of nothing but we started to kick out to the open man or find a big inside for an easy shot. Behind by 4 at the half and emptied the bench at the under 4. Really good run, still trying to figure things out but it’s starting to click some. I really like Cal coming off the bench. He seems more comfortable doing that and he plays intense defense and makes really good passes. He can shoot the tater once he finds the range. Good win, let’s at least get a split in Alabama and then home for Gag. BTW, UALR dropped their second tonight so we are tied for first. I knew the UALR luck would run out. They never should have beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    This can beat anybody in the Sun Belt but I don't think they can win 3 or 4 in a row. Need to finish first or second to get the bye to the semifinals.
    if we got on a run of shooting well, heck, we could win 6-7 in a row. We play good defense, we are rebounding good and we get steals and create turnovers, only thing missing is consistent good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    1st half really ugly shot terrible. 2nd half, better defense and shot well. Carter huge again, so was Crawley. You know if this team shoots well we can beat anyone in SB, win tournament and get a win in NCAA's. These kids will/do play defense. All comes down to putting the ball in the hole. Stomped them in second half, good win, needed win. We took care of business.
    This a terrible shooting team. No “ifs” about it. Now why a terrible shooting team takes so many bad shots from three, I can only imagine.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    if we got on a run of shooting well, heck, we could win 6-7 in a row. We play good defense, we are rebounding good and we get steals and create turnovers, only thing missing is consistent good shooting.
    agreed... decreasing our turnovers, if even by a small margin, would also help. anything that would increase our field goal attempts is how we can improve.

we are top 50 in the country with 8.6 steals per game. quan Jackson is ranked 26th in the country with 2.26 steals per game.... and no telling how many more deflections. he reads and darts through those passing lanes so well and also is a solid on ball defender. you know teams hate seeing him up top in that 1-2-2 pressure we apply at 3/4 court. he's such a high risk/high reward player though because he'll turn the ball over too. i'd like to see him cut down on those turnovers and limit his shots off the dribble a little bit.... I don't mind him shooting that corner three off the catch because that's where he seems comfortable with his shot to me.

we're also averaging 8.9 3's per game which is good enough for 58th in the country. we rank 18th in 3pt attempts with 454 and 27th in makes with 151. rank 249th in overall fg% with 42.4. 209th in the country in ft% with 68.8. tied for 51 in the country in FTA with 346. the percentages show we don't shoot well, so we may as well take the shot that's worth 50% more points when made.

to me, it's pretty easy to see that coach byington is an analytics guy. he recruits athletes that can defend out on the floor and switch everything on or off ball in man defense (I like how he's sprinkling in zone too). spread the floor on offense and let the same athletes get to the rim for hopefully a finish (why we have a lot of FT attempts), or kick out to the three pt line for a shot. every teams needs an identity and that's ours. it hasn't got us to the ncaa tourney yet, but we've been successful winning games with it and I think the tourney invite will come, just not sure when. i'll also note that gast rank better than us in most of those stats I looked up and as bad as I hate to say it, they are the best program in the conference today.

hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    agreed... decreasing our turnovers, if even by a small margin, would also help. anything that would increase our field goal attempts is how we can improve.

we are top 50 in the country with 8.6 steals per game. quan Jackson is ranked 26th in the country with 2.26 steals per game.... and no telling how many more deflections. he reads and darts through those passing lanes so well and also is a solid on ball defender. you know teams hate seeing him up top in that 1-2-2 pressure we apply at 3/4 court. he's such a high risk/high reward player though because he'll turn the ball over too. i'd like to see him cut down on those turnovers and limit his shots off the dribble a little bit.... I don't mind him shooting that corner three off the catch because that's where he seems comfortable with his shot to me.

we're also averaging 8.9 3's per game which is good enough for 58th in the country. we rank 18th in 3pt attempts with 454 and 27th in makes with 151. rank 249th in overall fg% with 42.4. 209th in the country in ft% with 68.8. tied for 51 in the country in FTA with 346. the percentages show we don't shoot well, so we may as well take the shot that's worth 50% more points when made.

to me, it's pretty easy to see that coach byington is an analytics guy. he recruits athletes that can defend out on the floor and switch everything on or off ball in man defense (I like how he's sprinkling in zone too). spread the floor on offense and let the same athletes get to the rim for hopefully a finish (why we have a lot of FT attempts), or kick out to the three pt line for a shot. every teams needs an identity and that's ours. it hasn't got us to the ncaa tourney yet, but we've been successful winning games with it and I think the tourney invite will come, just not sure when. i'll also note that gast rank better than us in most of those stats I looked up and as bad as I hate to say it, they are the best program in the conference today.

hail southern
    thanks for digging up the stats, I appreciate that. I think I read one kid for GagSt yesterday hit SEVEN "3's"

interesting, just checked shooting stats. for conference games only. Crawley 58%, Carter 57%. The remainder: all under 40%, shooting mid 30's%. And you wonder why Garns wants to pound the paint(smile).