TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for New AD.....

Default Re: Ideas for New AD.....

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenEagle View Post
    UTPB is growing rapidly due to the oil and gas boom in West Texas. ~15% per year growth in enrollment. They just added a football team in 2015 and probably plan on moving it up to FCS within the next decade. Farmer has experience with transitions with Troy. He's aware of what it takes for a young program to succeed and grow from his time here. Why did he leave ULL? Why did TK leave? It was time for a change of scenery. Why did he choose UTPB in particular? Maybe the challenge was exciting to him. I'm not sure, you'd have to ask him. If he's a candidate then Marrero and the committee will look at that closely. But I don't think it's a disqualifier.
    I didn't say it was. I said I was curious about why he was there. When a guy with great experience on paper, ends up at a nowhere school I think it at least bears questioning.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I didn't say it was. I said I was curious about why he was there. When a guy with great experience on paper, ends up at a nowhere school I think it at least bears questioning.
    https://www.cbs7.com/content/sports/...451756383.html

From this article it looks like he relishes the challenges of building an athletic department from the ground up.
    Artist Formerly Known as ditka4prez

http://www.forgotten5.com

Sounds like Burnout and a need to decompress to me.

An emotional Scott Farmer abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday as Louisiana-Lafayette director of athletics, citing family concerns and the stress of the position he has held for five years.
    “Athletic administration is not a job; it’s a lifestyle,” Farmer said Tuesday, reading from a prepared statement at UL-Lafayette’s Student-Athlete Performance Center. “For the past 30 years I loved the lifestyle. I loved the job. But the job demands take a toll on you.
    “It takes a toll on your loved ones, on your friends, on your health and your commitment to your church. I have paid a price for being an athletics director through the loss of time with family, the inability to develop friendships outside of work, and a discontinuity in my spiritual life.”
    "If you only do what you know you can do- you never do very much.”
    Tom Krause
    "If the plan doesn't work, then change the plan, NOT the GOAL!" Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by WEAGLE View Post

An emotional Scott Farmer abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday as Louisiana-Lafayette director of athletics, citing family concerns and the stress of the position he has held for five years.
    “Athletic administration is not a job; it’s a lifestyle,” Farmer said Tuesday, reading from a prepared statement at UL-Lafayette’s Student-Athlete Performance Center. “For the past 30 years I loved the lifestyle. I loved the job. But the job demands take a toll on you.
    “It takes a toll on your loved ones, on your friends, on your health and your commitment to your church. I have paid a price for being an athletics director through the loss of time with family, the inability to develop friendships outside of work, and a discontinuity in my spiritual life.”
    This is a disqualifier for me. And good for him...this job ain't worth the headache. Looks like he already figured that out at another SunBelt school.

https://www.cbs7.com/content/sports/...451756383.html

From this article it looks like he relishes the challenges of building an athletic department from the ground up.
    That's press release talk if I have ever heard it. Sounds good for sound bites. What else is he going to say when starting a new job there.

From the info posted by WEagle above, I think we found out why he was at a nowhere school.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

6. Default Re: Ideas for New AD.....

Quote Originally Posted by WEAGLE View Post

“Discontinuity in spiritual life”

”inability to form friendships outside of work”

What the ever-loving hell is all that??

Dude sounds like he really let the job get to him. I hope he finds something he’s better suited to.

Ok fair enough he sounds like he’s burnt out and took a less strenuous position. He knows how crazy our fans are and probably wants no part of it.

What about promoting from within? Particularly Dan O’Dowd. No one knows more about the Athletic Foundation here than him. Was an associate AD at Ole Miss and ULM. Knows the culture here and is good at his job. Might not be “sexy” but I’m confident he could do the job well.

https://gseagles.com/staff-directory/dan-o-dowd/427

Ok fair enough he sounds like he’s burnt out and took a less strenuous position. He knows how crazy our fans are and probably wants no part of it.

What about promoting from within? Particularly Dan O’Dowd. No one knows more about the Athletic Foundation here than him. Was an associate AD at Ole Miss and ULM. Knows the culture here and is good at his job. Might not be “sexy” but I’m confident he could do the job well.

https://gseagles.com/staff-directory/dan-o-dowd/427
    He last worked at ole miss and then his boss gets a job at ole miss?.... if we only had a poster that comes up with absurd conspiracy theories, I bet they could have a field day with this.

Hail southern

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    He last worked at ole miss and then his boss gets a job at ole miss?.... if we only had a poster that comes up with absurd conspiracy theories, I bet they could have a field day with this.

Hail southern
    "A" poster? Pfft!! We could easily have a dozen or more of that deal!
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Several of you are quite off-base with Scott's situation, and I'll leave it at that. Scott stepped down and went into a teaching role, prior to ultimately leaving Louisiana. I think it was pretty savvy of Scott to do so, considering as the incumbent AD he had segment of donors he could not satisfy or placate, which had to some degree made him a lame duck despite all that he had accomplished both at Troy and Louisiana. They have a segment of fans who were upset that CUSA wasn't calling them when WKU, MTSU and others left the Sun Belt.

Savoie (Louisiana's president) was in his role before Scott started there, so it wasn't the same scenario as TK predating Marrero's appointment.

Scott had a base salary of $210K when he was hired in 2014, based on the 2017 articles that his replacement was paid $295K in base salary. Scott's salary at a Texas DII school is on par with what we pay, and not near the level of scrutiny so in a number of ways I think his resignation commentary aligns perfectly with both his personal situation and the political situation he was operating within at Louisiana.
    Last edited by Eagle22; 11th January 2020 at 02:37 PM.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.