TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: MBB - Eagles at Hillbillies | Jan 4 (Boone, NC)

Default Re: MBB - Eagles at Hillbillies | Jan 4 (Boone, NC)

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    crawly and carter combined 9-14 shooting, carter 7-10. crawly 2-4. my coaching question, why only 4 shots for crawly when the team shot 8-30 from three. my only beef with cb is his liberal use and views on shooting three's, especially when our so called shooters are 0-6, 1-5 etc. draw up 2-3 plays that involves movement to and in the paint and get it to one of our guys, a big, who can finish that play 10-15 feet around the basket. or closer. the slow down at end of game I have no problem with. Slowdown should have 2 objectives, 1)take time off clock, 2) work ball around/run play that produces a high % shot, not "a good look from 30 feet". Slowing ball down and not scoring only meets one objective.
    Yep, Carter clearly had an advantage over his man inside. Even the couple of looks he missed were good looks that were in and out. I would've definitely liked to see some more offense through him, especially late when we really needed another bucket or two.

Maybe instead of saying we were 8-30 from "3", we should report it as we missed 22 shots out of 30 taken. That's a truck load of missed shots.

3. Default Re: MBB - Eagles at Hillbillies | Jan 4 (Boone, NC)

Maybe instead of saying we were 8-30 from "3", we should report it as we missed 22 shots out of 30 taken. That's a truck load of missed shots.
    If we were to continue on the same pace in the second half of the season that we're on now, we would finish 279-829 from 3 point range. That's 550 missed 3's. I thought that seemed like a lot so I looked back. We've actually averaged over 500 missed 3's per year since Coach B was hired.

crawly and carter combined 9-14 shooting, carter 7-10. crawly 2-4. my coaching question, why only 4 shots for crawly when the team shot 8-30 from three. my only beef with cb is his liberal use and views on shooting three's, especially when our so called shooters are 0-6, 1-5 etc. draw up 2-3 plays that involves movement to and in the paint and get it to one of our guys, a big, who can finish that play 10-15 feet around the basket. or closer. the slow down at end of game I have no problem with. Slowdown should have 2 objectives, 1)take time off clock, 2) work ball around/run play that produces a high % shot, not "a good look from 30 feet". Slowing ball down and not scoring only meets one objective.
    Did you say "draw up plays?" Lol. If our coach ran a strategy to let the air out of the ball then they should answer for it. It was an awful decision. We ran the prevent yesterday and it prevented us from winning......
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    Did you say "draw up plays?" Lol. If our coach ran a strategy to let the air out of the ball then they should answer for it. It was an awful decision. We ran the prevent yesterday and it prevented us from winning......
    that was my point, there are really two objectives to slowing the ball down, yes you want to take time off the clock but you also want to run set plays that involves the extra pass and the extra passes hopefully leads to a high percentage shot, not a "good look" from 30-35 feet. You want both objectives met. Of course when you leading late and going to the slow down, good chance your going to get fouled(other team has to stop clock), so you better make your uncontested foul shots, foul shots are "good looks"(smile).

that was my point, there are really two objectives to slowing the ball down, yes you want to take time off the clock but you also want to run set plays that involves the extra pass and the extra passes hopefully leads to a high percentage shot, not a "good look" from 30-35 feet. You want both objectives met. Of course when you leading late and going to the slow down, good chance your going to get fouled(other team has to stop clock), so you better make your uncontested foul shots, foul shots are "good looks"(smile).
    another modern basketball phrase that makes my hair on my neck stand up, "kick it out". Who says kick it out means kick it out to 30 feet, how about 20 or 15, you know, "mid range jumper".

another modern basketball phrase that makes my hair on my neck stand up, "kick it out". Who says kick it out means kick it out to 30 feet, how about 20 or 15, you know, "mid range jumper".
    i don' know near as much analytics as the guys over in the baseball thread in the open forum.... but i do know basketball analytics pretty well. every fan loves the idea of their coach using analytics. the nba has crazy, super high tech ways of tracking shots, and when you look at points per shot, you want open threes off the catch. drive and kick offense; get a good look right at the rim or kick it out to the 3 pt line. if a kid isn't a great 3 pt shooter, they're not gonna be a great 17 ft jump shooter either.

now, that isn't to say we take all great shots. i'd love to see the splits on quan's shooting % off the catch vs off the dribble. our gameplan, and how byington is building the team, looks real similar to the houston rockets to me. athletes everywhere, spread the floor, finish a the rim or kick out for 3.

https://shottracker.com/articles/ana...shot-selection

also, eFG% is a way better indicator of success than just FG% because it takes into account that a 3pt shot is worth 50% more than a 2pt shot. it can be used to measure how well your offense and defense are playing. you'd better defend that 3 pt line. virginia is know for that pack line defense and clogging things up in the lane, but they contest shots on the 3 pt line also and that's huge.

now execution concerns are completely independent of a 'what are good shots' discussion.

hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    i don' know near as much analytics as the guys over in the baseball thread in the open forum.... but i do know basketball analytics pretty well. every fan loves the idea of their coach using analytics. the nba has crazy, super high tech ways of tracking shots, and when you look at points per shot, you want open threes off the catch. drive and kick offense; get a good look right at the rim or kick it out to the 3 pt line. if a kid isn't a great 3 pt shooter, they're not gonna be a great 17 ft jump shooter either.

now, that isn't to say we take all great shots. i'd love to see the splits on quan's shooting % off the catch vs off the dribble. our gameplan, and how byington is building the team, looks real similar to the houston rockets to me. athletes everywhere, spread the floor, finish a the rim or kick out for 3.

https://shottracker.com/articles/ana...shot-selection

also, eFG% is a way better indicator of success than just FG% because it takes into account that a 3pt shot is worth 50% more than a 2pt shot. it can be used to measure how well your offense and defense are playing. you'd better defend that 3 pt line. virginia is know for that pack line defense and clogging things up in the lane, but they contest shots on the 3 pt line also and that's huge.

now execution concerns are completely independent of a 'what are good shots' discussion.

hail southern
    i hear what your saying. Did I ever tell you that every shot, EVERY shot Garns took was a "good shot", maybe analytics has a stat for "timely" shots.(smile).

Like any game there were lots of things that could have happened differently that would have changed the outcome of the game but we lost the APP game at the foul line, plain and simple. We shot less then 62%, missed 10 free throws, and lost by 2. Saturday afternoon I watched our women's team shoot 82% from the foul line and the majority of their free throws were nothing but net, didn't hit the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    Like any game there were lots of things that could have happened differently that would have changed the outcome of the game but we lost the APP game at the foul line, plain and simple. We shot less then 62%, missed 10 free throws, and lost by 2. Saturday afternoon I watched our women's team shoot 82% from the foul line and the majority of their free throws were nothing but net, didn't hit the rim.
    Pumpkin Brown on our ladies team not only has scored 1000 points in her career, she is also leading the nation in FT%. I'm getting very interested in our ladies team, after all these years I got CB team pretty much figured out but fun watching Coach Howard go about business. I know it's early but I'm very impressed and impressed with her entire staff.