TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Loss??

1. Default Good Loss??

Everyone hates to lose.

We especially hate to lose what should have been a pretty easy bowl.

But considering the loss in long term context, maybe this will have a better effect than pulling out a squeaker would have.

Camellia was a win, but it was a really, really ugly win. Seems like we spent our entire offseason celebrating a near-disaster.... (how many times did we fumble and get lucky recoveries in that game? Our punter finally got crushed too.)

That second half was 100% hot garbage other than the scramble and Bass’s FG. But everyone just partied like it was a 56-0 win.

I think this loss will probably mean we spend our offseason doing what we need to.

We all hate to lose.... But if there is a good place for it, this was the place.

The coaches, staff and players all see our faults now. Pretty hard to ignore when you lose to Liberty. (I’m not at all convinced they saw our faults last season.)

Maybe the big problem in our last offseason was we didn’t really take a step back and analyze how sloppy most of our wins were. We seemed to get lost in the “a win is a win” mentality.

Losing inhales vigorously. But I’d rather see us really get some fire in our bellies over the offseason and come out looking sharp vs whatever you could call the way our first 5 or 6 games looked this year.

Default Re: Good Loss??

There is no such thing as a “good loss”. Period.

Agree that no one likes a loss. However, there are things that can be learned and gained from losses sometimes that you can't from winning. A close win can hide a lot that a loss doesn't. Also, losing close to a team that is significantly superior to you can also be a motivator. If you lose and don't learn anything from it, then the loss was a waste. If you lose and learn from it, there is at least something gained from it. Doesn't mean I like a loss, doesn't mean a loss is "good", but it's too easy to simply say there is no such thing as a good loss.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

4. Default Re: Good Loss??

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Agree that no one likes a loss. However, there are things that can be learned and gained from losses sometimes that you can't from winning. A close win can hide a lot that a loss doesn't. Also, losing close to a team that is significantly superior to you can also be a motivator. If you lose and don't learn anything from it, then the loss was a waste. If you lose and learn from it, there is at least something gained from it. Doesn't mean I like a loss, doesn't mean a loss is "good", but it's too easy to simply say there is no such thing as a good loss.
    I really think we will look a lot better after this offseason.

CL is pissed. He should be.

Seemed from some of the preseason stuff, we had started to believe some of our own BS and get some big heads.

This season was crap end to end on offense. No one has any big heads now.

We inhale vigorouslyed. Got very lucky to escape with 7 wins. I think coaches/players realize that now. I don’t think they really took a few of our lucky wins to heart in 2018.

If we can truly fix blocking, and if we bust balls this offseason, the 2020 team should be very stout

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I really think we will look a lot better after this offseason.

CL is pissed. He should be.

Seemed from some of the preseason stuff, we had started to believe some of our own BS and get some big heads.

This season was crap end to end on offense. No one has any big heads now.

We inhale vigorouslyed. Got very lucky to escape with 7 wins. I think coaches/players realize that now. I don’t think they really took a few of our lucky wins to heart in 2018.

If we can truly fix blocking, and if we bust balls this offseason, the 2020 team should be very stout
    Honestly, I don't think anyone associated with the program, except for a lot of our fans, thought we were very good in 2018. We got lucky and we knew it. We still have major holes to fill that were started in 2016 and 2017 and have not healed themselves fully yet. We have depth issues, we have OL experience issues that were compounded by injuries, we have recruiting voids to fill, we have speed issues, and we have consistency issues. Time can heal every single one of those issues if they are addressed properly. Now we will see if the staff can address them or not and develop the program back into where we believe we should be and where we started going in 2014 and 2015. I truly believe we went so far backwards in 2016 and 2017 that we are still reaching to get back to even.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

6. Default Re: Good Loss??

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    There is no such thing as a “good loss”. Period.
    I would disagree. I have learned much more in life from my failures than my sucesses. Which is what he is trying to say. In this context, it was a good loss.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleBlueBlood View Post
    I would disagree. I have learned much more in life from my failures than my sucesses. Which is what he is trying to say. In this context, it was a good loss.
    I guess we will agree to disagree.

I don’t believe Erk would would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleBlueBlood View Post
    I'd prefer to learn something from an ugly win.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Everyone hates to lose.

We especially hate to lose what should have been a pretty easy bowl.

But considering the loss in long term context, maybe this will have a better effect than pulling out a squeaker would have.

Camellia was a win, but it was a really, really ugly win. Seems like we spent our entire offseason celebrating a near-disaster.... (how many times did we fumble and get lucky recoveries in that game? Our punter finally got crushed too.)

That second half was 100% hot garbage other than the scramble and Bass’s FG. But everyone just partied like it was a 56-0 win.

I think this loss will probably mean we spend our offseason doing what we need to.

We all hate to lose.... But if there is a good place for it, this was the place.

The coaches, staff and players all see our faults now. Pretty hard to ignore when you lose to Liberty. (I’m not at all convinced they saw our faults last season.)

Maybe the big problem in our last offseason was we didn’t really take a step back and analyze how sloppy most of our wins were. We seemed to get lost in the “a win is a win” mentality.

Losing inhales vigorously. But I’d rather see us really get some fire in our bellies over the offseason and come out looking sharp vs whatever you could call the way our first 5 or 6 games looked this year.
    It should at least get us a better draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'd prefer to learn something from an ugly win.
    Every. Time.