TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GS Merchandise Availability

Default Re: GS Merchandise Availability

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    No offense to the OP, but this comes up about once a year or so. We've heard both sides of it from people who know a guy who knows a guy that had attempted to make GS stuff and the school made it difficult (in their opinion) and then we have heard from another guy that knows a guy that said they had no problem getting things approved and selling them. I would love for someone who actually sells GS stuff to weigh in on the question instead of the normal rumors mill of "I heard that..."
    Today is the 31st, wanted to make sure I got it in before the year was over. No seriously, guess I missed all the previous conversations about it. Would love to hear some insight on the whys

I'll try and settle this once and for all. It is NOT difficult for vendors to get a license to make GS licensed products. I know this because my company made collegiate apparel at one time and I was in charge of the licensing for all of the schools we were making. GS was by far the easiest to work with. All you have to do is contact the university licensing department, fill out the proper paperwork, and submit a sample. We were approved very quickly and I worked directly with the school from that point in getting proper logos, colors, etc.

Most of the big schools were represented by the Collegiate Licensing Company(CLC). They were an absolute pain to deal with and really treated you like a nobody unless you were a huge player like Nike, Under Armour, etc. GS was choosing to handle their own licensing at the time, but I think we've since joined another licensing group. But you can still call the school and they will guide you through the process.

GS WANTS more vendors to make their products. It's a win/win because the school makes money every time products with their logo on it are sold. We're not exactly overflowing with cash like the Bama's and UGA's are, so trust me, we want more products out there and are NOT restrictive to any company wanting the license. The problem is exactly what TCM said...not enough vendors are asking for the license because they don't think they can sell enough of it to make it worthwhile to manufacture the products and invest in the license. If our brand became more popular on a national level, you would start to see more products.

I know Palmetto Moon at Tanger in Pooler does carry some Georgia Southern items but they don't seem to carry as much as they did several years ago. Suspect that they just are not selling as much as our merchandise. I looked at their web site and they only have a handfull of items on the site so you would have to go to the store to see what they actually have in stock. If I remember though it was more hats, tshirts, cup holders, etc. Several months ago I did come across a Georgia Southern Quilt but can't remember the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by SeEagle View Post
    I know Palmetto Moon at Tanger in Pooler does carry some Georgia Southern items but they don't seem to carry as much as they did several years ago. Suspect that they just are not selling as much as our merchandise. I looked at their web site and they only have a handfull of items on the site so you would have to go to the store to see what they actually have in stock. If I remember though it was more hats, tshirts, cup holders, etc. Several months ago I did come across a Georgia Southern Quilt but can't remember the web site.
    Be careful going into Palmetto Moon at Tanger in Pooler if you are allergic to Dwags.

Quote Originally Posted by SeEagle View Post
    They used to do game day stickers for us too!! Super cute.

I rarely went to Pooler when I lived in Savannah, but would try to swing by there at least to pick up some stickers and other stuff every now and then.

FWIW, there are plenty of items on Amazon and Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    This is a story that has been passed around as truth over the years without any facts to back it up. It looks like a simple process the last time I checked the licensing site.
    Maybe, just relaying what the guy who owned the place told me. Not sure why he’d make that up.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Maybe, just relaying what the guy who owned the place told me. Not sure why he’d make that up.
    He's a retailer. He doesn't need any kind of license from us or any other school to sell collegiate merchandise, unless he's manufacturing his own products. All he's doing is buying merch from the companies that DO have the license. What he probably means is that our stuff is not as easy to find.

All any retailer has to do if they really want products is to call the school's licensing department, and they will give you a list of EVERY company that sells GS products. The list is even broken down by product...so if a retailer want hats, he can find any company that makes GS hats.
    Last edited by Walt3412; 1st January 2020 at 05:52 PM.

Licensing and Trademarks | University Communications and Marketing | Georgia Southern University
    https://marketing.georgiasouthern.ed...ces/licensing/
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987