TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GS Merchandise Availability

Default GS Merchandise Availability

So, both my sons asked to have their rooms repainted and decorated with Georgia Southern items. What I found while playing Santa was GS merchandise is absolutely NOT readily available. Basically, you've got 3-4 options with limited merchandise. True GSU, the bookstore, southern exchange and I can't remember which site but one had GS merchandise available.

However, there are tons of websites that still don't have our merchandise available when attempting to select your school. Why haven't we broadened our marketing and attempted to sell our merchandise via other vendors?

Default Re: GS Merchandise Availability

There used to be a store in Cumming that sold all of the state collegiate merchandise. They had maybe 3-4 Southern items available. I asked the guy about it, and he said Southern makes it extremely difficult to sell licensed items. This was probably 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    There used to be a store in Cumming that sold all of the state collegiate merchandise. They had maybe 3-4 Southern items available. I asked the guy about it, and he said Southern makes it extremely difficult to sell licensed items. This was probably 3 years ago.
    This is still the case.

We're apparently VERY protective and selective in our licensing. It's a good thing in that it keeps a bunch of trash from happening, but it's also bad in that it makes anyone who wants to sell our stuff have to jump through a BUNCH of hoops to do it. What you end up with is people not willing to put in the effort for it.

Kudos to Southern Exchange for being the ones that said they were going all in and have gotten it done the best of any I've seen so far.

4. Default Re: GS Merchandise Availability

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_4024 View Post
    So, both my sons asked to have their rooms repainted and decorated with Georgia Southern items. What I found while playing Santa was GS merchandise is absolutely NOT readily available. Basically, you've got 3-4 options with limited merchandise. True GSU, the bookstore, southern exchange and I can't remember which site but one had GS merchandise available.

However, there are tons of websites that still don't have our merchandise available when attempting to select your school. Why haven't we broadened our marketing and attempted to sell our merchandise via other vendors?
    Why do you assume it hasn’t been attempted? If I had to guess, the more likely scenario is other sites tried to sell some gear but (lack of) sales trends has limited permanent distribution. Hell, our fan base has barely supported a site called Hail Southern.

Part of the issue with that is all the different logos we have as a program. Someone has a nice shirt or hat for sale and fans want it but only with one of the other logos we have, that makes it hard for vendors to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    This is a story that has been passed around as truth over the years without any facts to back it up. It looks like a simple process the last time I checked the licensing site.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Basic Econ 101, supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Why do you assume it hasn’t been attempted? If I had to guess, the more likely scenario is other sites tried to sell some gear but (lack of) sales trends has limited permanent distribution. Hell, our fan base has barely supported a site called Hail Southern.

Part of the issue with that is all the different logos we have as a program. Someone has a nice shirt or hat for sale and fans want it but only with one of the other logos we have, that makes it hard for vendors to keep up.
    I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I didn't say no vendors had attempted it, when I mentioned "attempted ", I was talking about myself attempting to pick Georgia southern from the list of schools. I have no doubt businesses have attempted to add us to the list of schools they sell from, my question was just why isn't it happening. From the sound of it, we're the ones making it difficult. You would think we would reach out to businesses, local and major reputable retailers online, and get our merchandise more readily available. I just don't get some of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Basic Econ 101, supply and demand.
    Yeah I don't buy that. Some of the schools you can buy merchandise are as small or smaller than us from online retailers. It's not just that hardly nobody sells our stuff, it's that there are no options available. Try buying a Georgia Southern bed set. Impossible. Georgia Southern fabric to make like, anything.....impossible. It's very frustrating. You try to support your school but they don't make it very easy

No offense to the OP, but this comes up about once a year or so. We've heard both sides of it from people who know a guy who knows a guy that had attempted to make GS stuff and the school made it difficult (in their opinion) and then we have heard from another guy that knows a guy that said they had no problem getting things approved and selling them. I would love for someone who actually sells GS stuff to weigh in on the question instead of the normal rumors mill of "I heard that..."
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

10. Default Re: GS Merchandise Availability

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    No offense to the OP, but this comes up about once a year or so. We've heard both sides of it from people who know a guy who knows a guy that had attempted to make GS stuff and the school made it difficult (in their opinion) and then we have heard from another guy that knows a guy that said they had no problem getting things approved and selling them. I would love for someone who actually sells GS stuff to weigh in on the question instead of the normal rumors mill of "I heard that..."
    IIRC, we have, the guy that runs Hail Southern weighed in on this the last time the topic can up (last off season?), or it was someone that added a link to an article about him and his issues selling our merchandise. It was a good article.