TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: What offense do you prefer Georgia Southern to run?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flexbone only

12 15.38%
  • Flexbone preferred but other option offenses are fine

30 38.46%
  • Option, but not the flexbone

10 12.82%
  • Any offense is fine

23 29.49%
  • Run-heavy but not option-based

3 3.85%
  • Pass heavy

0 0%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Flexbone Opinions

Default Re: Flexbone Opinions

I still think the flex-bone is the best option for us. Commit to it and do it better than anyone else. You can throw enough out of the flex bone. Perhaps one of the problems now is the coach is trying to please the AD by running shotgun and trying to placate some fans by running some semblance of an option and trying to throw a certain number of passes to please others. We need to pick an offensive identity and perfect it. When the announcers say we are a triple option team that is laughable to me. Pick an offensive identity and get really good at it. I personally think the under center most of the time flex bone is our best option.

[QUOTE=Indy;1004648 Our coaches were really high on him. They thought he was the real deal and the type guy we needed. I just think in today's college football world throwing the ball well is a must. .[/QUOTE]

I agree that passing is a necessity in any option attack. The higher percentage in pass receptions and the more yards per catch really opens up the option running game. Like 380 yards of rushing per game. I am not saying we have to pass 25 times a game to have the defense on their heals. 10-15 passes a game with a 55+% reception rate for 100-150 would do it. If some how we developed a freakishly competent QB and offensive team like the 1985 NC team then try some more.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed
    The T-Option is the powerful ground game ever devised & the FLEX is the best way to run it.
    If I want your opinion & don't like it I'll tell you what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgaeagle View Post
    I still think the flex-bone is the best option for us. Commit to it and do it better than anyone else. You can throw enough out of the flex bone. Perhaps one of the problems now is the coach is trying to please the AD by running shotgun and trying to placate some fans by running some semblance of an option and trying to throw a certain number of passes to please others. We need to pick an offensive identity and perfect it. When the announcers say we are a triple option team that is laughable to me. Pick an offensive identity and get really good at it. I personally think the under center most of the time flex bone is our best option.
    The Flex is a passing formation. When we had great coaches we didn't throw a lot but it was effective. Exception Tracy Ham in 85NC that blew the doors off of Furman in the last22 minutes of the game with a passing game.
    The T-Option is the powerful ground game ever devised & the FLEX is the best way to run it.

4. Default Re: Flexbone Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    I was here at the beginning and I aint't dead yet (sorry folks).

You all know how I feel.

Get back under center and run what made us great.

Oh.....and you can pass effectively from it too...….just ask Tracy or Greg...….or Raymond
    Yes Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    So many teams running something very similar to what we’re running?? I promise you that is not why we were so “easy to defend” this season.
    I believe you. There are a lot of offenses that run the same cookie cutter offenses - SOME ARE GREAT AND SOME ARE BAD!

6. Default Re: Flexbone Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Who didn't like him?

I thought he looked great, regardless of whether he could throw the ball.
    The reason I like him is that he was a big kid that could run and throw. Maybe the best "quarterback" prospect we have had in several years. To bad it didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    The reason I like him is that he was a big kid that could run and throw. Maybe the best "quarterback" prospect we have had in several years. To bad it didn't work out.
    He was a big kid who was a great runner. His height alone would have helped him stand in the pocket and throw the deep play-action stuff we like to throw.

There was virtually no film of him throwing as a senior, though. But I had visions of him running all over opponents. He looked like Deshaun Watson running around on the field.

I wonder if the injury problem that ended his career was what held him back as a recruit?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I've been here since we restarted football and couldn't care less whether we run option football or not. The inability to throw the ball effectively is what's holding us back on offense. Balance up some and we will be amazed at how effective our run game will become. We make it much more difficult when we are in effect a run only team, but when we continually bring in QB's that can't throw that's what happens.

BTW, I don't know who all these people are that everyone on here says are flex only people. Everyone I know just wants to win. The vast majority of people that were here at the beginning are to old to care or have passed away.

Amen! Even if it takes going back to square shoulder pads and britches that cover the players knees! Just win.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by Midgaeagle View Post
    TALON - AGREE, There are a lot of offenses that run the same cookie cutter offenses - SOME ARE GREAT AND SOME ARE BAD![/QUOTE]

Geecheeriverambler
    I was here at the beginning and I aint't dead yet (sorry folks).

You all know how I feel.

Get back under center and run what made us great.

Oh.....and you can pass effectively from it too...….just ask Tracy or Greg...….or

TALON - Thats crazy talk. Oooops your right!!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    The problem with GT during PJ’s latter years wasn’t on offense.

PJ never found a DC he could trust (and I mean that he personally was happy with). When he finally hired the probable right guy at that position, it was a year too late.

If PJ had been able to solve his DC issues, which started in 1998 if not 1997, he’d have won a lot more games in his career. And that’s saying something.
    Agreed. Wasn’t he forced to take the ex-UVA head coach as The D coordinator at one point? Talk about a conflict of interest.
    "Losing is the most disgusting thing that you can experience...We feel we need to surround ourselves with people who feel that winning is the most important thing in the world. If you feel that way, and I do, and I think our players feel that way, then losing has got to be about the worst thing that can happen to you." Erk Russell