TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: DeBesse and Sloan to Return for 2020

Default Re: DeBesse and Sloan to Return for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Two years ago was when we were finalizing our staff and trying to get a plan together of what to do. The class that year was grabbing the best players we could while attempting to fill some holes. We grabbed 3 OL that year, several were JUCO, we were just way late to make much headway before that with many more and we needed offensive staff input on what direction we needed to take.

Last year we brought in 5 OL (that makes 8 total that Lunsford has brought in so far). You DO NOT replace your OL wholesale with freshmen....our crowd is not patient enough to allow the amount of time that would be needed for that group to improve as a whole.

This year, we still don't know if we're planning to bring in some more OL in Feb. The signing period isn't over so you can't judge it yet.

So continue to tell me what we are or are not doing when you're not paying attention to reality.
    The reality is that we were not a very good team this year. That could be player development, recruiting, scheme, game planning, position coaches or whatever. Year three really needs to show a major step forward regardless of which coaching staff or which area you choose to blame it on.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    The reality is that we were not a very good team this year. That could be player development, recruiting, scheme, game planning, position coaches or whatever. Year three really needs to show a major step forward regardless of which coaching staff or which area you choose to blame it on.
    Agreed. Next year is the "show me" year.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Agreed. Next year is the "show me" year.
    Plus 1.

The new hashtag is “reset.” That’s a good choice I would think. GATA.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    The new hashtag is “reset.” That’s a good choice I would think. GATA.
    It is. For as much as Lunsford says wins and losses donít define him, he looked like he was ready to tear somebodyís head off in that post game press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    OK.

If we signed 8, how come more didn’t play?

Everyone knew that line was a mess from the git go, yet we sure didn’t seem to have the answer.

We even held open tryouts mid season for those positions.

What am I missing? Are we not signing the right guys? Did we redshirt a ton of them? Were they not suited to the positions we needed help at?

Good question
    SlickEagle now, formally known as EagleDawg

OK.

Everyone knew that line was a mess from the git go, yet we sure didn’t seem to have the answer.

What am I missing? Are we not signing the right guys? Did we redshirt a ton of them? Were they not suited to the positions we needed help at?
    Aaron Dowdell (juco from the 2018 class) played guard and center for about half the season until he apparently got hurt and we didn't see him the rest of the season.
    Verneal Henshaw (2019 class) played early in the season but didn't much after that. I have not seen him dressed out in a while, but maybe pete has.
    Caelan Williams (2018 commit, 2019 class) apparently blue-shirted or something-shirted and signed on this season.
    Javonte McGriff (2019 class) was hurt for much of the season as well (that one is confirmed).
    Jordan Wiggins (2019 class)

Also, many times true freshmen need a year in the strength and conditioning program and practice to be ready. Like I said, you could pile on juco OL but ultimately in the long term will be better off with these freshman having red shirted than we would with jucos that might all be gone after next season.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

OK.

I donít think any of them enrolled early. Itís very rare in any offense for true freshman offensive lineman to get a lot of playing time.

Even if that were not true, the recruits from last year saw a lot of adversity. As we all know, one passed away. Another hurt his back in the first game and missed the rest of the season. All but one of the others saw action on special teams and all redshirted. One unfortunately never made it to campus. One positive is those guys probably played a lot of scout team which means they spent a lot of time going up against our front seven in practice. Thatís a pretty good group to practice against.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Aaron Dowdell (juco from the 2018 class) played guard and center for about half the season until he apparently got hurt and we didn't see him the rest of the season.
    Verneal Henshaw (2019 class) played early in the season but didn't much after that. I have not seen him dressed out in a while, but maybe pete has.
    Caelan Williams (2018 commit, 2019 class) apparently blue-shirted or something-shirted and signed on this season.
    Javonte McGriff (2019 class) was hurt for much of the season as well (that one is confirmed).
    Jordan Wiggins (2019 class)

Also, many times true freshmen need a year in the strength and conditioning program and practice to be ready. Like I said, you could pile on juco OL but ultimately in the long term will be better off with these freshman having red shirted than we would with jucos that might all be gone after next season.
    Per an update from Henshaw on Twitter last week, he had surgery so there was some kind of injury that nagged him all season apparently.

We had absolutely horrible injury luck at OL this year. It also didn't help that our best looking cruiser tore his ACL in the Spring Game (another reason why I don't care if we ever have another traditional Spring Game).