TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I haven’t been able to bring myself to rewatch it, but I heard Travis Jayden say on the SMN podcast Liberty wasn’t stacking the box. They were stuffing the run with six sometimes seven guys at a time. If an option team can’t block six guys with its offensive line there’s not a whole lot of other plays you can call.
    AS I remember they had 3 down linemen, 2 backers outside the D ends and 2 LBs up close with a safety ready with run support.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    AS I remember they had 3 down linemen, 2 backers outside the D ends and 2 LBs up close with a safety ready with run support.
    Yep. And we made no adjustments. No changes in our play calling.

3. Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

I haven’t been able to bring myself to rewatch it, but I heard Travis Jayden say on the SMN podcast Liberty wasn’t stacking the box. They were stuffing the run with six sometimes seven guys at a time. If an option team can’t block six guys with its offensive line there’s not a whole lot of other plays you can call.
    They didn’t stack very much.

Why bother when all we do is either run into a wall or go straight to a sideline?

We were so unprepared for anything.

Liberty made us look like chumps by just doing the bare minimum. Either stuffed dive, crushed pitch, or pointless deep ball.

Easy night for them and their retarded mascot. (That thing looked like a deer tick.)

Most boxes from early in the game had seven men but two of them stayed outside to keep Werts from cutting in. The numbers were there for the dive to be successful, we just got no push whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    Yep. And we made no adjustments. No changes in our play calling.
    Thank you X2

Most boxes from early in the game had seven men but two of them stayed outside to keep Werts from cutting in. The numbers were there for the dive to be successful, we just got no push whatsoever.
    TRUE!

7. Default Re: We don't have to like the results to understand them

Dang. One thing is for certain...performance that bad, from a program that lauds itself as a RB factory is simply not as easy as "the players didn't execute".

There seems to be an absence of offensive definition. Let me rephrase that...we HAVE an offensive definition, it is just anemic. If I were CBD I would be hittin the books and seeing which one I forgot to read.

TRUE!
    Quote Originally Posted by GSUEoghan View Post
    Dang. One thing is for certain...performance that bad, from a program that lauds itself as a RB factory is simply not as easy as "the players didn't execute".

****There seems to be an absence of offensive definition. Let me rephrase that...we HAVE an offensive definition, it is just anemic. If I were CBD I would be hittin the books and seeing which one I forgot to read.

No offense to CBD. I am not a coach, but when I worked we always had to attend different seminars. When I wrestled in high school our coach took us to AAU events during the summer and also had guest coaches evaluate us on take downs and mat wrestling.
    I think he needs to do more than hit the books because the diagramed plays are static. I think he should attend some coaching clinics and watch film.

I know that when our defensive coordinator wanted to switch to the 4-3 defense away from Erk's Junk Yard Dawg defense they flew to the University of Miami to take classes.

No offense to CBD. I am not a coach, but when I worked we always had to attend different seminars. When I wrestled in high school our coach took us to AAU events during the summer and also had guest coaches evaluate us on take downs and mat wrestling.
    I think he needs to do more than hit the books because the diagramed plays are static. I think he should attend some coaching clinics and watch film.

I know that when our defensive coordinator wanted to switch to the 4-3 defense away from Erk's Junk Yard Dawg defense they flew to the University of Miami to take classes.
    Do you honestly think that he is not already doing that?

Here is a portion of his bio from gseagles.com. You don't do these things at a program like UNM that has absolutely no history without knowing what you are doing. I am not saying he is perfect. I am not saying he doesn't need to get better. I'm not saying that this year was acceptable. I'm simply saying that there were so many other things that were going on that are affecting the offense that I don't believe that anyone can simply point the fingers at Debesse and say his play calling inhales vigorously.

Under DeBesse’s watch, the 2016 Lobos set a school record for points (477) and scoring average, averaging 36.7 points per game, and also featured two 1,000 yard rushers for the first time in school history. In 2017, the Lobos’ again finished in the top 20 nationally in rushing offense, averaging over 230 yards per game on the ground.
    In the 2015 season, the Lobos led the nation in total plays of 60 or more yards (11) and 70 or more yards (7). The Lobos added a deadly aerial attack as well and the team threw three touchdown passes of 80 or more yards in the final five games of the season. The Lobo rushing attack again finished in the top 10 nationally, led by Jhurell Pressley, who ended his career with the second-most rushing touchdowns in school history.
    In the 2014 season, UNM once again finished in the top five in rushing nationally, averaging 310.4 yards per game. The Lobos were the only team in the nation to finish in the top five from 2012-14 with an average of 300 yards or more, and that was all under DeBesse. The Lobos were explosive as well, ranking in the top three nationally in most runs of 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards for the season, and led the nation in most 50 and 60 yard rushes.
    The 2013 offense’s 40 rushing touchdowns were two shy of the 1971 team record of 42. The unit also produced 5,062 yards, becoming just the sixth Lobo offensive unit to surpass the 5,000-yard mark. In 2012, the Lobos had the most improved rushing offense in the nation, going from 113.3 yards per game (ranking 103rd in rushing in ‘11) to 301.3 yards per game (ranking fifth in ‘12).
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

KJ Eagle -"Do you honestly think that he is not already doing that?"

TALON - I'm sure he is a great coach. I'm sure he is looking over his own game films. The one thing I said is that sometimes it is better to review the game film and actually attend a coaches clinic so you can get a different perspective.

KJ- You don't do these things at a program like UNM that has absolutely no history without knowing what you are doing. I am not saying he is perfect. I am not saying he doesn't need to get better. I'm not saying that this year was acceptable. I'm simply saying that there were so many other things that were going on that are affecting the offense that I don't believe that anyone can simply point the fingers at Debesse and say his play calling inhales vigorously.

TALON - when did I say his play calling inhales vigorously? They are not executed well though.