TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts.

1. Default Thoughts.

There's a few people who, as per usual, are calling for Lunsford. (To be fair, it's mostly people who have been moaning about their favorite expert choice since he was made permanent.)

That said, I still respect our HC. This is, however, an important decision-making time that will say a lot about his leadership abilities from here on out. As a leader, it is hard to have to make that decision to let someone go...especially in a program dedicated to a familial bond.

That said, Coach Debesse has been given ample opportunity to demonstrate both his initial approach and his ability to make corrections in the face of failure. From my vantage, he has not done so adequately. Being a head coach, like any other top position, means making some painful decisions.

That decision should be made without hesitation. If it is not, I will personally have serious questions about Coach Lunsford's ability to put the team above his desire to be friends with his staff.

Default Re: Thoughts.

A couple of comments.

1. Seeing a lot of complaints about play-calling. Anyone whose complaints about the offense are "we go up the middle too much" or "it's lacking in imagination", those are just canned responses people say whenever things aren't working in option offenses. Seen it under every flex coach going back to Paul Johnson. Now some will complain about lack of motion but from watching the games and the information on GATAdb I don't see any evidence that's going to help. Maybe OC is a problem, but I'm not convinced.

2. I don't care what variant of option offense you're running, if you can't run the base running play between the tackles (dive in the flexbone, IZ in this offense) when the defense is giving you space the offense won't go anywhere. I'm sure all of our offensive linemen are working hard and doing the best they can do to help the team, but there are at most 2 current starters who could be starters next year when we get Miller and Leeds back and get freshmen another year of S&C and practice.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEoghan View Post
    There's a few people who, as per usual, are calling for Lunsford. (To be fair, it's mostly people who have been moaning about their favorite expert choice since he was made permanent.)

That said, I still respect our HC. This is, however, an important decision-making time that will say a lot about his leadership abilities from here on out. As a leader, it is hard to have to make that decision to let someone go...especially in a program dedicated to a familial bond.

That said, Coach Debesse has been given ample opportunity to demonstrate both his initial approach and his ability to make corrections in the face of failure. From my vantage, he has not done so adequately. Being a head coach, like any other top position, means making some painful decisions.

That decision should be made without hesitation. If it is not, I will personally have serious questions about Coach Lunsford's ability to put the team above his desire to be friends with his staff.
    im also very concerned about our offense.

We will be pigeon holed on offensive coordinator as long as there’s a vocal majority calling for a particular type of offense. Hire the man that can utilize our talent best, not the one who runs a particular scheme that people are still hanging onto.

I think we probably have too many easy reasons to keep Debesse for one more season - we'll have a lot of returning talent in 2020, and hopefully not as much off the field stuff to deal with. If we can stay healthy, the offense SHOULD be much better. If it's not, then we know where the problem lies and can move on in 2021 when we'll have a younger team anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I think we probably have too many easy reasons to keep Debesse for one more season - we'll have a lot of returning talent in 2020, and hopefully not as much off the field stuff to deal with. If we can stay healthy, the offense SHOULD be much better. If it's not, then we know where the problem lies and can move on in 2021 when we'll have a younger team anyway.

And this in lies my problem with being motivated about GS football for the next 2 years. We have a lot of senior skill position players next year and a lot of OL experience returning combined with talent that could beat them out. Yet it’s going to get wasted because we won’t make a change. So that takes us to 2021 when we are breaking in a new QB and new OC and new skill players. So 2022 is the next season I have any hope for as things stand right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    And this in lies my problem with being motivated about GS football for the next 2 years. We have a lot of senior skill position players next year and a lot of OL experience returning combined with talent that could beat them out. Yet it’s going to get wasted because we won’t make a change. So that takes us to 2021 when we are breaking in a new QB and new OC and new skill players. So 2022 is the next season I have any hope for as things stand right now.
    Correct.

Now, can I interest you in some season tickets and increasing your AF donation? Rings and diplomas, baby! (But really just diplomas)

8. Default Re: Thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    We will be pigeon holed on offensive coordinator as long as there’s a vocal majority calling for a particular type of offense. Hire the man that can utilize our talent best, not the one who runs a particular scheme that people are still hanging onto.
    Absolutely agree. As long as the fanbase dictates a very narrow offensive philosophy, we are likely to struggle to be anything more than mediocre. We've painted ourselves into a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    IDK where the answer is.

There are very obviously some deep seated problems on offense.

The line is part of the issue. Play calling is part of the issue.

No. This is not all because we can’t execute our base play. It’s because we can’t execute ANYTHING reliably. Not the pitch, of the dive, of the wildcat, not the deep pass (why we don’t seem to have an easy 10 yard pass available is beyond me.)

The way I see it, blocking is the core of our issues. Without better line blocking, we could have a OC on the level of shanahan and still look like hot garbage.

People have looked confused about who to block and how all season long. The fact that any of our guys make it all the way to the edge and don’t throw a block for the QB or the pitch man is unacceptable. The fact that I see 4 or 5 defenders get around and blow up our pitch damned near every single time is atrocious.

Im on the fence about DeBeese. He looked pretty good last season. For some reason, blocking looked much better last season as well. I can’t figure out how or why edge blocking has become so awful
    The only coaching change I remember last year was WR coach Juston Wood moving on. I believe DeBesse is filling in for him there. Speaking of Wood we will see him up in Boise next year

Quote Originally Posted by GATA View Post
    The only coaching change I remember last year was WR coach Juston Wood moving on. I believe DeBesse is filling in for him there. Speaking of Wood we will see him up in Boise next year
    Last season Debesse coached WR and wood coached QB. Wood left and Debesse took over QBs and Lamar Owens was brought in to coach WR.