TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GATA origin

1. Default GATA origin

Some interesting reading over on Apps message board. They are now taking credit for starting GATA. One of their folks is stating we stole it from them in the mid 90's according to some of their former players. I don't remember seeing any of their players or coaches wearing anything with GATA on it. We are so lucky they let us play on the same field with them.

Default Re: GATA origin

Except GATA was started by Erk when he was at UGA. We all know the story, but in case an Appy reads this...

GTAA is the Georgia Tech Athletic Association. Erk switched the letters around to GATA (Get After Their *****) before UGA took on Tech. I don’t remember the year (late 70’s?) but it was long before the 90’s. He then brought it with him to Southern.

Someone is confused. App started GATGA.

4. Default Re: GATA origin

There are different versions of GATA all over. Abilene Christian has a group that has used it since the 20’s or 30’s

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Someone is confused. App started GATGA.
    Or GoatA
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

I just found what you’re talking about. What a bunch of morons. There are literally pictures of Erk Russell wearing shirts with the word GATA. And then they went and trashed our program and traditions. I hope UAB beats them by thirty points.

7. Default Re: GATA origin

The funny thing is Southern Miss. football stadium's nickname is the " The Rock " and has been known as that since 1938. Apps current stadium " the rock " opened in 1962, so look who likes " borrowing " traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Except GATA was started by Erk when he was at UGA. We all know the story, but in case an Appy reads this...

GTAA is the Georgia Tech Athletic Association. Erk switched the letters around to GATA (Get After Their *****) before UGA took on Tech. I don’t remember the year (late 70’s?) but it was long before the 90’s. He then brought it with him to Southern.
    I remember it being late ‘70s also. Sports Illustrated made note of it in a 1981 article when one of the original Eagles shaved it into his head: https://www.si.com/vault/1981/11/09/...whole-new-team

I can’t find a picture right now but the statue of Erk in front of the FOC has his GATA holy T shirt on.

From what I remember story wise they were losing to Tech. At halftime he was trying to fire to the team and misread the water cooler for GATA. They ever on and won.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Which thread is this under