TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

8 team playoff with 1 G5 representative...fine...that's as good as you could hope for.

G5 "national championship"...screw this idea...basically FCS all over again. I'd rather just play in bowl games.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    8 team playoff with 1 G5 representative...fine...that's as good as you could hope for.

G5 "national championship"...screw this idea...basically FCS all over again. I'd rather just play in bowl games.
    👍🏼 Agreed

3. Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Wouldn’t matter if they had 20.

There is no way any G5 could get in the way things are structured right now.

I really like the idea of slotting a G5 in somehow. The top G5’s are legit competition for any P5 at this point. Love to see everyone gain a shot.
    But this thread is not about how things are structured right now, it is about a 8 team playoff.

Hypothetically, had Southern gone undefeated THiS year, beating an otherwise unbeaten LSU, and very good Minnesota team, where would we be ranked?

5. Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

This would certainly be a step in the right direction. Nothing will ever be perfect but this gives a chance for a “little guy”. The idea of a G5 playoff would create a new 1-AA. Seems kinda pointless to me.

They should have had 8 teams in the beginning.
    Soaring on to the Sunbelt! GATA Eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Given our performance against teams like Maine and USA, not even in the top 40.

We have had a couple brilliant games, and a few really bad ones.

Gotta really work on consistency

Undefeated with wins over 3 ranked teams wouldn’t get us in the top 40? Haha okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

A G5 could definitely make the playoffs as it’s structured now. UCF’s problem was they played NOBODY OOC.

This year would be the perfect scenario for a G5 to get in the playoffs. But they would have to be undefeated and have a couple of impressive OOC wins. The flip side is it’s stupid for a G5 to play a tough schedule because that is going to minimize your chances for the Access Bowl.

Hopefully when this thing goes to 8 the OOC schedule for G5’s will become an important part of the team that’s selected.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

9. Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Hypothetically, had Southern gone undefeated THiS year, beating an otherwise unbeaten LSU, and very good Minnesota team, where would we be ranked?
    Higher than App is ranked now. LSU and Minnesota are significantly better than USC and UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    A G5 could definitely make the playoffs as it’s structured now. UCF’s problem was they played NOBODY OOC.

This year would be the perfect scenario for a G5 to get in the playoffs. But they would have to be undefeated and have a couple of impressive OOC wins. The flip side is it’s stupid for a G5 to play a tough schedule because that is going to minimize your chances for the Access Bowl.

Hopefully when this thing goes to 8 the OOC schedule for G5’s will become an important part of the team that’s selected.
    Houston could've made it in 2016 if Tom Herman wasn't running around auctioning himself. They beat Oklahoma and a top-10 Louisville. 2009 Boise could've had a conversation as well. If the AAC wants to be in the conversation they can't choose to play only teams that will give them home-and-homes like Maryland and Pitt.

No one can tell me it's fair to put UCF in over any of the teams that made it in 2017 when they basically won their G5 conference and they beat the mess out of a bad Maryland team.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.