TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure Bowl

Default Re: The Cure Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by gsueagle18 View Post
    Our attendance has been "down" for 4 years now. I know countless Alumni that do not go to events anymore, and I fully blame our leadership. We need these peoples $ and butts in seats. The regulars on this forum will quickly dis-agree, but that is the direction our program has gone - Hot Take.
    2014 (9-3): 21,102
    2015 (9-4): 20,780
    2016 (5-7): 20,819
    2017 (2-10): 15,258* not including Birmingham
    2018 (10-2): 16,802
    2019 (7-5): 13,964

You would expect attendance to nose dive in a 2-10 season, and be in recovery mode the following. Don't downplay the weather this year, either. 3/6 of our home games had some hard, hard rain. Without those rain games, home attendance averaged 17,199. I think we need to consistently be at the 20k mark, and if we finish with a bowl win this season I think we can hit it in 2020.

2. Default Re: The Cure Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    You forgot the part of your post where you provide thoughtful suggestions.
    We could start with getting rid of the hair guitar.

We could start with getting rid of the hair guitar.
    If that's why they don't attend, then it must not have been too important to them to start with, lol.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post

You would expect attendance to nose dive in a 2-10 season, and be in recovery mode the following. Don't downplay the weather this year, either. 3/6 of our home games had some hard, hard rain. Without those rain games, home attendance averaged 17,199. I think we need to consistently be at the 20k mark, and if we finish with a bowl win this season I think we can hit it in 2020.
    It is proving harder than we thought to get past the Tyson Summers disaster. When fans said that he set us back 5 years with some stuff, maybe they weren't exaggerating.

There is also a nationwide shift in lower attendance right now though too, right? Less folks coming to games in general with how easy it is to stream everything at home. The weather screwed us at home this year, but 17k without that is still unacceptable. The better out of conference opponents coming in will help us in 2020+.

Remember we still have better actual attendance in the conference than most teams, besides App State. Everyone is struggling big time right now in the Sun Belt. Louisiana Lafayette is in meltdown mode about it, Troy and Arkansas State are struggling, don't even get me started on the teams where no one even comes to the games in general anyway - Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, Louisiana Monroe, South Alabama... all four of those are downright abysmal.

Compared to our conference mates, we are doing fine but it sure would be nice to average over 20k again someday.

5. Default Re: The Cure Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    If that's why they don't attend, then it must not have been too important to them to start with, lol.
    Not getting into specifics, but the general consensus I have heard is "It isn't the same anymore" .

Attendance Attendance Attendance, where, when will it ever end(smile). Remember when we added the second deck and we were all pumped about the quick need to expand beyond the second deck? Seems like a long time ago. A lot like Hannor, can't fill it no since dreaming for bigger better things. In our history we have never drawn big crowds consistently and while incoming money has increased, it's increased pretty much at a snails pace. A lot of alumni get their degree, head out of town, get on with their live overall close their pocketbooks and that is that. We tend to get by and every now and then get nice things here and there. Like new football building, Jumbotron etc. finally have gotten to where our HC football salary isn't an embarrassment. All you can do is keep asking people to give, lord knows the money making arm of GS athletics has tried about every gimmick in the sales book. I'll tell you what, UAlbany hasn't got a dime of mine but GS has gotten a few.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post

this was one of my fears when we moved up. When the Newness wares off like in 5-6 years where will be attendance wise? Yes the gradual but IMO remarkable decline is a concern. Maybe next season with new, named known football schools coming to Paulson we'll see a nice jump. Sorry, the CCU's, NMSU's and USA's of the G5 world doesn't due much to raise the fan excitement meter. Really, IMO no different, maybe worse than Furman, Wofford Elon etc.

Unless we win big (like getting ranked or contending for access bowl) attendance will stay between 16-20k

If we had a "good run" we could maybe pull 20-22k.

That's about the best we're gonna do.

9. Default Re: The Cure Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    this was one of my fears when we moved up. When the Newness wares off like in 5-6 years where will be attendance wise? Yes the gradual but IMO remarkable decline is a concern. Maybe next season with new, named known football schools coming to Paulson we'll see a nice jump. Sorry, the CCU's, NMSU's and USA's of the G5 world doesn't due much to raise the fan excitement meter. Really, IMO no different, maybe worse than Furman, Wofford Elon etc.
    Liberty hosted Syracuse to open their season.

Not getting into specifics, but the general consensus I have heard is "It isn't the same anymore" .
    If you don't share specifics, then no one knows what areas to review.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987