TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 271

Thread: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

  1. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    There are quite a few people here talking about his overall career. Every where he's been up until now, he's left with a winning record. That's not an easy feat.

    Was I pissed about how he left? Sure, of course I was. I also think his son can go take a long walk off a short pier.

    But it doesn't change the fact that the guy has been a consistent success at every stop along his career. You don't have like him, but there's no reason to minimize what he's accomplished either.

    And having a great network of coaches to assemble into a staff is what makes a good coach great. It's what Summers didn't have, based on the composition of the staff he put together. It's also what Lunsford has.

    And if Fritz was still here in 2016, I would have wagered we would have went undefeated. If we hadn't, we would have come damn close.
    I agree with all that.

    I don't like him.

    I never will.

    He left us in a way which did a lot more damage than need be.

    But my point is he is a competent, average, middling coach. He simply is.

    Fritz is good at his job, but nothing special. Any coach with eyes and any kind of understanding of his job would have done exactly the same (or better) than Fritz.

    People want to put him up there with Erk or PJ because he had two good seasons with incredible talent. A really amazing coach can take far less talented teams and make them do incredible things. Fritz simply did what any competent coach would have. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of our great coaches. People like Erk, PJ, and Monken have worked miracles with far less talent. In fact, Monken deserves much of Fritz's credit because of the kind of team he recruited. (Just imagine what erk or PJ would have accomplished with similar talent.)

    Fritz was competent, not special. You want to thank someone for that success, thank Monken. Fritz looks so much better than he is because of what followed.

    (You folks are living in a fantasy world if you really think he somehow flew under the radar for almost 30 years.)

  2. #82

    Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I agree with all that.

    I don't like him.

    I never will.

    He left us in a way which did a lot more damage than need be.

    But my point is he is a competent, average, middling coach. He simply is.

    Fritz is good at his job, but nothing special. Any coach with eyes and any kind of understanding of his job would have done exactly the same (or better) than Fritz.

    People want to put him up there with Erk or PJ because he had two good seasons with incredible talent. A really amazing coach can take far less talented teams and make them do incredible things. Fritz simply did what any competent coach would have. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of our great coaches. People like Erk, PJ, and Monken have worked miracles with far less talent. In fact, Monken deserves much of Fritz's credit because of the kind of team he recruited.

    Fritz was competent, not special. You want to thank someone for that success, thank Monken. Fritz looks so much better than he is because of what followed.

    (You folks are living in a fantasy world if you really think he somehow flew under the radar for almost 30 years.)
    You could have stopped after the first 4 lines. The rest of the post after that can be explained by the first 3 lines.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  3. #83

    Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    You guys crack me up.

    Fritz was an undiscovered diamond who had somehow remained hidden for 30 years or so.

    Y’all really need to quit making Fritz into something he ain’t.

    He is a middling college football coach who happened onto outstanding talent and was smart enough to not **** it all up.
    If he had stayed here long enough for that talent to graduate, you would have seen better seasons than TS, but I don’t think we would have seen anything special. We sure would t have pulled down the record App has.

    The only thing I can give Fritz is he has a better network of coordinators and assistants. That makes any HC look good.

    Y’all act like he was some kind of mastermind innovator. He was not. Fritz was an opportunist. He saw what was here and used it to get his pink butt a raise ASAP.
    Here’s a news flash: no one in the football world but a handful of jilted-lover GS fans defines Fritz’ career by his time in Statesboro. You really think Arkansas and Missouri interviewed him because of what he did here? Georgia Southern is a footnote on his 2-page resume.

    Chad Lunsford just matched his 2-year win total AND turned us completely around from a disastrous 2 years, and we aren’t even talking about being worried about losing him.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

  4. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    You guys crack me up.

    Fritz was an undiscovered diamond who had somehow remained hidden for 30 years or so.

    Y’all really need to quit making Fritz into something he ain’t.

    He is a middling college football coach who happened onto outstanding talent and was smart enough to not **** it all up.
    If he had stayed here long enough for that talent to graduate, you would have seen better seasons than TS, but I don’t think we would have seen anything special. We sure would t have pulled down the record App has.

    The only thing I can give Fritz is he has a better network of coordinators and assistants. That makes any HC look good.

    Y’all act like he was some kind of mastermind innovator. He was not. Fritz was an opportunist. He saw what was here and used it to get his pink butt a raise ASAP.
    Well, duh... that is a direct correlation of being a successful HC for 30 years. A good HC doesn't accidentally have good coordinators and assistants after 3 decades of evaluating and building relationships.

    Personally, I don't care for Fritz (or Monken) but describing Fritz as 'middling' and his FCS talent at GS as 'outstanding' in the same sentence is simply imprudent.

  5. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post

    Chad Lunsford just matched his 2-year win total AND turned us completely around from a disastrous 2 years, and we aren’t even talking about being worried about losing him.
    I like CL a LOT, and I hope he stays long term.

    I doubt any P5s are sniffing around him yet, but I have no doubt he will do the right thing if he leaves.

    CL is a man of character and integrity. He has been recruiting hard, and I think he will do a great job in that area.

    CL won’t leave us in the same way Fritz did.

    One thing Fritz fell down on (to put it diplomatically) was recruiting. I think he did such a poor job at that because he didn’t plan to be here any longer than necessary. That is the main way he did long term damage to our program. He simply did not perform that job responsibility to the level one would expect from a good HC.

    CL is not that kind of guy. He will do us right in all his job obligations.

    I think CL will stay the full term of his contract. If he does leave, he will do it the right way. And we are seeing he is doing his best to leave us in a good state if he does.

  6. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I agree with all that.

    I don't like him.

    I never will.

    He left us in a way which did a lot more damage than need be.

    But my point is he is a competent, average, middling coach. He simply is.

    Fritz is good at his job, but nothing special. Any coach with eyes and any kind of understanding of his job would have done exactly the same (or better) than Fritz.

    People want to put him up there with Erk or PJ because he had two good seasons with incredible talent. A really amazing coach can take far less talented teams and make them do incredible things. Fritz simply did what any competent coach would have. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of our great coaches. People like Erk, PJ, and Monken have worked miracles with far less talent. In fact, Monken deserves much of Fritz's credit because of the kind of team he recruited. (Just imagine what erk or PJ would have accomplished with similar talent.)

    Fritz was competent, not special. You want to thank someone for that success, thank Monken. Fritz looks so much better than he is because of what followed.

    (You folks are living in a fantasy world if you really think he somehow flew under the radar for almost 30 years.)
    So, Monken "worked a miracle" (lol) with far less talent, while Fritz should only get credit for winning with Monken's talent?

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    27,425

    Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Fritz had some misses (all coaches do as recruiting is still a crapshoot), but overall recruiting was good under him.

    Mismanagement of the players on the roster (that Fritz recruited) and poor development during the Summers era led us to the position we're in now.

    A lot of good players were run off during that time. We also recruited quite a few under Summers that either never made it to campus or have left pretty quickly.


  8. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    So, Monken "worked a miracle" (lol) with far less talent, while Fritz should only get credit for winning with Monken's talent?
    I’ll let Monken’s record speak for itself....

    Especially considering the stagnant several years or so which preceded him.

    When he took over, there was no question that football was in a bad place and had been there for a long time.

    He put our program where it needed to be for FBS, and that’s pretty darn good considering what he inherited. There was quite a stretch between PJ and Monken when things were not awesome

  9. #89

    Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I’ll let Monken’s record speak for itself....
    A lower win percentage in the SlowCon that Fritz had in an FBS league with 4 Power 5 games on the schedule in 2 seasons.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  10. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I’ll let Monken’s record speak for itself....

    Especially considering the stagnant several years or so which preceded him.

    When he took over, there was no question that football was in a bad place and had been there for a long time.

    He put our program where it needed to be for FBS, and that’s pretty darn good considering what he inherited. There was quite a stretch between PJ and Monken when things were not awesome
    But, you said that record Monken achieved was with "far less talent," AND said that Fritz only won because of the "outstanding" talent Monken left him. You understand the contradiction there, right?

Similar Threads

  1. Coaching Carousel
    By 81eagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 19th December 2014, 10:17 AM
  2. The Coaching Carousel
    By GATA in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th January 2014, 07:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •