TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Mercer talking to Lenoir-Rhyne HC (and former Furman OC)

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...h-drew-cronic/
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    It probably came across the wrong way, but I was replying to the statement KJ made about anyone taking any job that paid 3x the money.

His statement was silly.

Not all decisions in life come down to money. Nor should they.
    If you get offered a seven-figure job with 8 figures guaranteed, the only considerations are ethics and safety. Neither of those are real issues being a football coach.

I also think you need to understand it's not as simple as "you're making mid six figures, do I really need to make more money?" There's just not a lot of certainties in the profession. Coaches can get fired by ADs or presidents for political reasons or ousted by big donors for whatever reason if they have one down year. There will eventually be sweeping changes in higher ed because the whole system of how it's funded and paid for by students isn't sustainable and there's no telling how that'll affect athletics. Changing demographics and concussion hysteria could potentially cause the popularity of the sport to gradually wane. You take the opportunities you can get.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Just a question, I know position coaches can be hired as HC's w/o any HC experience, but how normal is that? Guess what I'm getting at, if say I'm a position coach at Southern would I look to the FCS or D2 level for a HC job to "cut my teeth" on? Or is that completely not an accurate assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Mercer talking to Lenoir-Rhyne HC (and former Furman OC)

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...h-drew-cronic/
    Just what the Socon needs: another triple option team.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Just what the Socon needs: another triple option team.
    He was under Fowler.

I personally turned down a job making far more than 3x my annual salary because I would have to live overseas.

(I take care of my disabled parents as their POA, sole caregiver etc, etc. Been doing so for over a decade.)

I also sold their property (which would have flowed to me as a remainder man interest-which their creditors and healthcare facilities could not have touched) for half a million. Keeps them off Medicaid... Sometimes life has bigger decisions than money. Some people would have not lost a wink of sleep in my position if they had watched their parents rot away in a crappy nursing home vs buying them good care for as long as possible.

Call me a liar if you wish, but those are facts.

Know why I did those things? Because I am NOT a horrible person.

Many of y’all would probably do the right thing when it came down to it. I sleep very well at night, knowing I did the right thing. I probably won’t die rich, but I’ll look back and know I did right.
    I didn't say ANY job, I said "He took another job that tripled his salary like anyone in the world would do given the same opportunity" .

Having to leave the country is not "the same opportunity".

And Congrats on being a good son, as most people here would be. Although it's not really paramount to the discussion.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Yeah.
    That's a hoot.

Hope nothing tragic ever happens to your family.

(KJ says ANYONE would do anything for 3x the money. I say otherwise.)

Cheers.
    Try some reading comprehension. I did not say that. See the post above this one.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernEagle2002 View Post
    Just a question, I know position coaches can be hired as HC's w/o any HC experience, but how normal is that? Guess what I'm getting at, if say I'm a position coach at Southern would I look to the FCS or D2 level for a HC job to "cut my teeth" on? Or is that completely not an accurate assumption?
    Although that would seem to make the most sense there are multiple paths that people take. Some seemingly without much rhyme or reason. Hot shot coordinators can step laterally or upward into their first HC job. HC’s move upward into better HC jobs. Position coaches hitch their wagon to offensive or defensive gurus and become coordinators when they leave or become HC’s. I think by and large most schools want to see at least coordinator-level experience for HC candidates, but then you have us with CL and App fans lobbying for their OL coach to take over. Arkansas just hired a 58 yo career position coach from UGA to take over, which surprises me.
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Although that would seem to make the most sense there are multiple paths that people take. Some seemingly without much rhyme or reason. Hot shot coordinators can step laterally or upward into their first HC job. HC’s move upward into better HC jobs. Position coaches hitch their wagon to offensive or defensive gurus and become coordinators when they leave or become HC’s. I think by and large most schools want to see at least coordinator-level experience for HC candidates, but then you have us with CL and App fans lobbying for their OL coach to take over. Arkansas just hired a 58 yo career position coach from UGA to take over, which surprises me.
    What he said.....

Although IMO it also has a lot to do with the situation. CCL was already here and his boss (TK) already knew what he could or couldn't do for the most part. The new Arkansas coach was at Arkansas before if I remember right and was highly thought of there. Its rare for a position coach to go straight to HC at the same level, but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    He was under Fowler.
    Not according to my research. He coached at Furman under Bobby Lamb and returned under Clay Hendrix.

Will he bring Bob Bodine back to the Socon with him, or leave him at Lenoir-Rhyne?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops