TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Says a lot about what the coaching fraternity thinks of Fritz if a guy with one year head coaching experience can up and steal Willie’s “dream job”.
    Says more about how stupid ADs are...Arkansas thinks Sam Pittman is going to help them win games. Missouri AD just as stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    How desperate do you have to be to hire a guy that hasn’t even completed one full recruiting cycle as a HC, to your SEC program? That can’t end well.
    i think his years as NC States OC also went into the equation but your right, I thought he'd need one more good year at Appy before people cam calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    Fritz was successful because he inherited Monken's guys. No other reason.
    what was your pals Summer's excuse?

Over twenty years of success at all levels of college football but the only reason he won here was because of Monken’s guys. If it was that easy the program wouldn’t have crashed and burned in 2016.

5. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Seriously? No other reason? He just brought Tulane to consecutive bowl games for the first time ever in their 100+ year history, in a conference that had four ranked teams this year.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Seriously? No other reason? He just brought Tulane to consecutive bowl games for the first time ever in their 100+ year history.
    its ok, haters going to hate(smile)

Even after trying to discount any personal affinity for WF and any innate hatred for App, I really don’t get this hire. I understand if Fritz isn’t a flashy enough hire, but Drinkwitz is? One guy has 25+ years of consistent success as a head coach in a variety of circumstances (including turnarounds) and with different schemes, but he’s not sexy enough. The other has 1 year in a layup situation and some decent experience as an OC but not really a guru or innovator. Fritz checks a lot of boxes except the “excites the fan base” one, but what boxes does Kaw-liga Drinkwitz check?

Also, Arkansas hires a 58 year old career position coach? Don’t get that either.
    Last edited by GATAlac El Dorado; 9th December 2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    You guys crack me up.

Fritz was an undiscovered diamond who had somehow remained hidden for 30 years or so.

Y’all really need to quit making Fritz into something he ain’t.

He is a middling college football coach who happened onto outstanding talent and was smart enough to not **** it all up.
    If he had stayed here long enough for that talent to graduate, you would have seen better seasons than TS, but I don’t think we would have seen anything special. We sure would t have pulled down the record App has.

The only thing I can give Fritz is he has a better network of coordinators and assistants. That makes any HC look good.

Y’all act like he was some kind of mastermind innovator. He was not. Fritz was an opportunist. He saw what was here and used it to get his pink butt a raise ASAP.
    It's hard to get noticed when you win at a place that doesn't win often. Fritz brough Central Missouri, Blinn, and SHSU all to unprecedented heights as a coach. Then he comes to GS and does what no first-year FBS transition team ever does, and gets Tulane's first back-to-back bowl eligible seasons in 4 decades. Sorry, but your knock on him is completely hollow.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th December 2019 at 08:40 AM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

You guys crack me up.

Fritz was an undiscovered diamond who had somehow remained hidden for 30 years or so.

Y’all really need to quit making Fritz into something he ain’t.

He is a middling college football coach who happened onto outstanding talent and was smart enough to not **** it all up.
    If he had stayed here long enough for that talent to graduate, you would have seen better seasons than TS, but I don’t think we would have seen anything special. We sure would t have pulled down the record App has.

The only thing I can give Fritz is he has a better network of coordinators and assistants. That makes any HC look good.

Y’all act like he was some kind of mastermind innovator. He was not. Fritz was an opportunist. He saw what was here and used it to get his pink butt a raise ASAP.
    There are quite a few people here talking about his overall career. Every where he's been up until now, he's left with a winning record. That's not an easy feat.

Was I pissed about how he left? Sure, of course I was. I also think his son can go take a long walk off a short pier.

But it doesn't change the fact that the guy has been a consistent success at every stop along his career. You don't have like him, but there's no reason to minimize what he's accomplished either.

And having a great network of coaches to assemble into a staff is what makes a good coach great. It's what Summers didn't have, based on the composition of the staff he put together. It's also what Lunsford has.

And if Fritz was still here in 2016, I would have wagered we would have went undefeated. If we hadn't, we would have come damn close.

I agree with all that.

I don't like him.

I never will.

He left us in a way which did a lot more damage than need be.

But my point is he is a competent, average, middling coach. He simply is.

Fritz is good at his job, but nothing special. Any coach with eyes and any kind of understanding of his job would have done exactly the same (or better) than Fritz.

People want to put him up there with Erk or PJ because he had two good seasons with incredible talent. A really amazing coach can take far less talented teams and make them do incredible things. Fritz simply did what any competent coach would have. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of our great coaches. People like Erk, PJ, and Monken have worked miracles with far less talent. In fact, Monken deserves much of Fritz's credit because of the kind of team he recruited.

Fritz was competent, not special. You want to thank someone for that success, thank Monken. Fritz looks so much better than he is because of what followed.

(You folks are living in a fantasy world if you really think he somehow flew under the radar for almost 30 years.)
    You could have stopped after the first 4 lines. The rest of the post after that can be explained by the first 3 lines.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.