TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Now that the bigger jobs are filled, I expect the other jobs will create another round of silliness. Then of course we will have the NFL Black Monday in a few weeks, which could further impact things (if Lincoln Riley or David Shaw get snatched up).
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Rhule make a move.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Rhule make a move.
    That's the other name I couldnt think of. I knew there was another "hot coach" out there.

So if Baylor and/or Oklahoma coaches get pulled to the NFL and they need a coach, and they then poach from the G5, we could have another round of craziness.

3. Default Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Critical reading is not that tough.

Monken recruited a whole bunch of talent.

That doesn't mean that most of his teams were super-talented.

What he recruited (which played after he left) was clearly more talented than what he worked with prior to that. He had McKinnon and a few other guys here and there, but there's no question the entire team he left WF with was more talented as a whole than what he worked with prior to that point.

Monken was an awesome recruiter. He left us in very good shape. Any moron could see how great that team would be in competent hands (there was good reason for Fritz to say "most talented team I have ever seen,") .

I'm pretty sure Monken didn't attempt to abscond with 1/2 of his best players when he left-like y'all's buddy Fritz did. So, that was kind of a bonus. (Or at least proof that the man was not a total carpet-bagging jerk.)

People act like WF was so awesome..... He was awesome enough to recognize the golden goose Monken was leaving, and awesome enough to try and abscond with what he could when he left.

Real swell guy. We should build a statute....... Nice scarecrow with a big ol bag slung over the shoulder.
    Haha, sure, give Monken credit for not bringing FCS talent to West Point. That's a good one. Maybe you and Monken can watch Fritz's bowl game together (I hear he has availability) and talk about how he wouldn't be any good with his own recruits.

Willie Fritz record at Central Missouri- 97-47 (.674)
    Central Missouri with every other coach- 462-464-51 (.473)

Willie Fritz at Sam Houston State- 40-15 (.727)
    Every other coach at Sam Houston State- 489-449-34 (.503)
    Predecessor-25-28 (.471)

Willie Fritz at Tulane-22-27 (.449)
    Every other coach at Tulane-509-621-38 (.436)
    Predecessor-15-34 ( .306)
    True story, Tommy Bowden is the only head coach since the 1950s to have a winning record at Tulane.

I like CL a LOT, and I hope he stays long term.

I doubt any P5s are sniffing around him yet, but I have no doubt he will do the right thing if he leaves.

CL is a man of character and integrity. He has been recruiting hard, and I think he will do a great job in that area.

CL won’t leave us in the same way Fritz did.

One thing Fritz fell down on (to put it diplomatically) was recruiting. I think he did such a poor job at that because he didn’t plan to be here any longer than necessary. That is the main way he did long term damage to our program. He simply did not perform that job responsibility to the level one would expect from a good HC.

CL is not that kind of guy. He will do us right in all his job obligations.

I think CL will stay the full term of his contract. If he does leave, he will do it the right way. And we are seeing he is doing his best to leave us in a good state if he does.
    What exactly did CWF "do to us" when he left? I don't like his whining about job security, but he didn't do to us anything that any other coach does when they leave for another job. It's as much the player's fault for not getting up for the Gag St game that year as it is the coach's.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    A lower win percentage in the SlowCon that Fritz had in an FBS league with 4 Power 5 games on the schedule in 2 seasons.
    Yeah I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

I agree with all that.

I don't like him.

I never will.

He left us in a way which did a lot more damage than need be.

But my point is he is a competent, average, middling coach. He simply is.

Fritz is good at his job, but nothing special. Any coach with eyes and any kind of understanding of his job would have done exactly the same (or better) than Fritz.

People want to put him up there with Erk or PJ because he had two good seasons with incredible talent. A really amazing coach can take far less talented teams and make them do incredible things. Fritz simply did what any competent coach would have. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of our great coaches. People like Erk, PJ, and Monken have worked miracles with far less talent. In fact, Monken deserves much of Fritz's credit because of the kind of team he recruited. (Just imagine what erk or PJ would have accomplished with similar talent.)

Fritz was competent, not special. You want to thank someone for that success, thank Monken. Fritz looks so much better than he is because of what followed.

(You folks are living in a fantasy world if you really think he somehow flew under the radar for almost 30 years.)
    Wrong.

You have no eye for coaching ability. You're the kind of guy that would hire Summers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Wrong.

You have no eye for coaching ability. You're the kind of guy that would hire Summers.
    no reason to go far below the belt......

Still waiting on another coach to go 8-0 in conference and win us an FBS conference title. Any mediocre coach could do it right? That's why the Fritz successors are 0-4?

Just trying to understand.

Let's not even address how exponentially better we were on offense under Fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Still waiting on another coach to go 8-0 in conference and win us an FBS conference title. Any mediocre coach could do it right? That's why the Fritz successors are 0-4?

Just trying to understand.

Let's not even address how exponentially better we were on offense under Fritz.
    No response to that argument so now we’re talking about what a jerk he (subjectively) was. Try to keep up with the moving goalposts.
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!