TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Default Re: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    The sad point of this thread subject is that the SB does not care about GS or our attendance at all. We play all of our most desirable games on weeknights or Thanksgiving weekend. If we played App or Gstate on a non Thanksgiving Saturday at 3 pm or later we would probably draw close to 25,000 to both of these games.
    We played three games in the conditions you mentioned. Two of those were on the road.

That's hardly "most of our games"
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

The sad point of this thread subject is that the SB does not care about GS or our attendance at all. We play all of our most desirable games on weeknights or Thanksgiving weekend. If we played App or Gstate on a non Thanksgiving Saturday at 3 pm or later we would probably draw close to 25,000 to both of these games.
    1) ESPN decides what games are on weeknight TV, not the SBC.
    2) Gag St is our in-state rival and is who we are supposed to play on Rivalry Weekend. Not really a stretch for the SBC to schedule that game then. Would you rather play Tx ST on Rivalry Weekend in front of 8,000 people?
    3) it's not a conspiracy. The SBC cares about us as much as they care about the other football playing teams in the conference. We are not "special" to anyone but our own fans.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    1) ESPN decides what games are on weeknight TV, not the SBC.
    2) Gag St is our in-state rival and is who we are supposed to play on Rivalry Weekend. Not really a stretch for the SBC to schedule that game then. Would you rather play Tx ST on Rivalry Weekend in front of 8,000 people?
    3) it's not a conspiracy. The SBC cares about us as much as they care about the other football playing teams in the conference. We are not "special" to anyone but our own fans.
    Who makes that TV contract?
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    We played three games in the conditions you mentioned. Two of those were on the road.

That's hardly "most of our games"
    You and I have a different opinion of our most desirable games, evidently.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

You and I have a different opinion of our most desirable games, evidently.
    Georgia State's game isn't moving. That's the best way to increase Thanksgiving weekend attendance.

As for our differing opinion - I guess you're right. They're all the same to me. I care about the Eagles. As long as we're playing at the top level of FB (which we are), and we have plenty of home games (which we do for the next several years), I'm not complaining.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Who makes that TV contract?
    As with almost anyone else that deals with ESPN, they say what they will and won't do and the G5 conferences basically take it and say thank you sir may I have another.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Georgia State's game isn't moving. That's the best way to increase Thanksgiving weekend attendance.

As for our differing opinion - I guess you're right. They're all the same to me. I care about the Eagles. As long as we're playing at the top level of FB (which we are), and we have plenty of home games (which we do for the next several years), I'm not complaining.
    The question is if it's a trade-off worth making. I'd argue it isn't. We've gotten 15k for Thanksgiving weekend as an FBS team before. I don't buy we'd be in the 4 figures of attendance with State on that week.

On the other hand we can get 19k for an 0-8 team and 23k for a December game, so from what I'm seeing that's not a trade-off worth making. Move the game.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

8. Default Re: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The question is if it's a trade-off worth making. I'd argue it isn't. We've gotten 15k for Thanksgiving weekend as an FBS team before. I don't buy we'd be in the 4 figures of attendance with State on that week.

On the other hand we can get 19k for an 0-8 team and 23k for a December game, so from what I'm seeing that's not a trade-off worth making. Move the game.
    Won’t happen. What game did we play in Dec while in the SunBelt that has 23k?

Quote Originally Posted by Richrappa View Post
    Won’t happen. What game did we play in Dec while in the SunBelt that has 23k?
    From Gatadb

"Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    From Gatadb

That can't be right. that was a 2:00 game. I thought nobody liked early kicks? Lol

That number does seem a little high, but from at least one picture I have of that day the deck did look pretty full.
    Other pictures were from later in the game when ithe stadium definitely cleared out a bit