TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Default Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Just for perspective, when Georgia State came to Statesboro in 2017 we had 19k in attendance. That was for a Georgia Southern team that came into the game 0-8 (!). We had 23k for Georgia State in 2015 on a December 5th game. Try to find a home game in December with attendance anywhere close to 23k other than the national championship games in Statesboro. You won't be able to do it.

The game is clearly a coffer filler and a good draw for students and we we're needlessly hurting ourselves having the game with lots going on in the college football world and a major shopping day.

Now for comparison here's some other noteworthy Thanksgiving weekend crowds.
    2019 Georgia State 15,175
    2015 South Alabama 15,125
    2014 ULM 16,283
    2010 SCSU 11,577
    2004 UNH 6,053
    1989 Villanova 10,061
    1985 Jackson State 4,128

So that was likely our second-largest Thanksgiving weekend crowd ever. We had fewer people for our first home playoff game in 6 years (with help from lots of SCSU fans coming) and barely more in a game with ULM to seal an outright Sun Belt Championship. IMO, we should move the State game to an earlier Saturday in November.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

2. Default Re: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

I agree.

The weekend after Thanksgiving is awfully tough for a lot of folks. Pretty much any other weekend would probably break 20K

3. Default Re: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Disagree. Not only does playing our in-state rival the same day as the big boys legitimize both our programs, but except for App, there is no one else in our conference that would annually bring out fans on thanksgiving weekend. If we had played say South Alabama or Texas State yesterday instead of Georgia State, we would have had max 8k people in the stands.

The way our annual match up is set up, we play in Atlanta when UGA/GT is in Athens and in Statesboro when UGA/GT is in Atlanta, so unless something happens, our games shouldn’t interfere with each other and we should NEVER plan our schedule around what UGA and GT are doing anyway. That’s so Division 2. Our fans need to choose who they are going to support and if they choose the P5 schools, so be it. That just means we need to do a better job of capturing their attention.

Default Re: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I agree.

The weekend after Thanksgiving is awfully tough for a lot of folks. Pretty much any other weekend would probably break 20K
    Tons of rivalry games this past weekend. Sunbelt is just trying to add to it. I don't mind honestly.

I don’t mind it considering it’s in Atlanta every other year where the majority of our students are during break. We’re going to have to play SOMEONE at home during Thanksgiving every other year, so making it State basically gives us home field advantage every single year based on how well we take over their stadium.

6. Default Re: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

Do UCF and USF change their schedule around so that their alums and students can go to/watch UF-FSU? No. So then why should we?

It's rivalry weekend in case you live under a rock. Ole Miss/Miss State, Ohio State/Michigan, FSU/UF, Clemson, USCeast, ULM, ULL, Auburn/Bama, Tech/UGAG etc. Notice a trend? Lots of schools are playing big rivals, mostly in state rivals. Honestly we play anyone else as mentioned, might have been FCS playoff type crowds. At least it being Gag State our fans showed up on a holiday weekend with school out.

Since we added a conference championship game, this is our only game that will draw fans outside of Appy. We have no choice but to play this unless you'd rather give up a bye week.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

8. Default Re: Why playing Georgia State on Thanksgiving weekend is dumb

It comes down to what’s more important to you:

Move to a different date: a larger crowd (hoping for 20,000+) for our secondary rivalry game

OR

Keeping it Thanksgiving weekend: you still get a decent crowd, but still not a great “rivalry game atmosphere”

For me personally, I’d rather go to a more hype game on a different date earlier in the season against Ga State. Imagine what this game could be as a night game in the beginning of November. But instead, we have 15,000ish fans and an average game day atmosphere for a bigger game. I’d be fine with the slimmer crowd for a Texas State, USA, ULM, etc in favor of moving the Ga State game to an earlier date.

Quote Originally Posted by blueisbest View Post

Move to a different date: a larger crowd (hoping for 20,000+) for our secondary rivalry game

OR

Keeping it Thanksgiving weekend: you still get a decent crowd, but still not a great “rivalry game atmosphere”

For me personally, I’d rather go to a more hype game on a different date earlier in the season against Ga State. Imagine what this game could be as a night game in the beginning of November. But instead, we have 15,000ish fans and an average game day atmosphere for a bigger game. I’d be fine with the slimmer crowd for a Texas State, USA, ULM, etc in favor of moving the Ga State game to an earlier date.
    When we are 9-2,10-1... That home game will be on tv and be packed.
    And it's the right time to play it imop. Plus like another poster said, every other year we take over GaSt stadium with so much Alumni and so many students home for the holidays. Did you go to that game last year? It was awesome and felt like a playoff game in terms of crowd and Tailgating.

+We watch the other games on TV at the Tailgate so we don't miss those either.

Quote Originally Posted by blueisbest View Post

OR

It's RIVALRY WEEKEND....would you rather we play Tx St, USA, etc on RIVALRY WEEKEND????
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive