TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: For the CCL skeptics...

1. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    If a down year for us includes a win vs App State and Ga State and a bowl win, Iíll defiantly take it! However, IMO we were out coached too many times this year. I donít mind if this staff stays in place, but I also donít mind if we make changes.
    2 of 3 expectations met. We are bowling, beat State but we did not compete for Conference. IMO clock management is a problem otherwise We are good assuming this talent everyone seems to think we have standing on the sidelines comes to the field.

2. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by Richrappa View Post
    2 of 3 expectations met. We are bowling, beat State but we did not compete for Conference. IMO clock management is a problem otherwise We are good assuming this talent everyone seems to think we have standing on the sidelines comes to the field.

Biggest problem is the O Line.

Second biggest is blocking on offense. It shouldn't be an issue after game 2 or 3. Certainly not all season long. There are guys trying to block on the edge and into the secondary who clearly don't know who (or how) they are supposed to block. Whomever is supposed to teach that needs to be shown the door. (That is not a player problem. Which ever coach is supposed to get this across either doesn't understand it himself, or is not communicating it effectively. We have seen Werts/all our RBs get blown up at the line of scrimmage or in the backfield about 1000 times this season because if very poor blocking. So many times, I have watched a guy run to a good position for a block and just plain not do it.)

I agree that clock management is an issue.

I also submit that playcalling is still an issue. It was very nice to see some more complexity toward the end of the season, but DeBeese will go waaaaay too conservative at the drop of the hat (And certain games, we damned near conservatived ourselves into a loss. (CCU and USA come to mind.) With our kind of football, we need to keep our foot on the gas all game, every game. Need more aggressive playcalling.

We fix these things, and we will bring home that CC next season.

None of these are CL's problems directly, but he is ultimately responsible for all of them. I hope he sees these problems and knows how to fix them.

Next season will be our golden opportunity. Werts should be at his peak. Assuming defense is on point, and the O line finally gets consistent, we should be awesome.

Good coaches figure out a way to win despite problems. Great coaches head problems off first. (I really think CL can do that. As I've said many times, I love the guy and I really want him to do well.)

3. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    I’d be fine if CLL didn’t feel the need to always defend himself and our record. To the vocal nincompoops on Facebook and on here cut the guy a break.
    Vocal nincompoops help fund the program, they canít be ignored completely.

4. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

GSU probably has the most coaching staff in the Sun Belt.... we needn't worry if they are good enough for Georgia Southern, but instead, who else is going to notice them and try to take them. The HC, OC, and DC are top notch. Winning 10 games in year one and having a chance at 8 wins in year 2 (with lots of injuries, youth, etc) is fantastic.

Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    That's right. I stand corrected. Three passes. One missed wide open receiver so bad if he'd been flagged for intentional grounding it would have been legit. The other two drops were inexplicable.
    One of those other two wasn't a drop, it was a good play by the state DB to tip it up.

IDK who called the plays last night, but it was brilliant. I think State was expecting dive, dive, 3rd and long option, and certainly that's the way we started the first drive, which likely put their D to sleep. Them boys didn't know what was going to happen the rest of the game. Their D coaches got snookered last night, no question about it.

Great game plan.

I like that they already played two option teams so they were READY.

Got a good kick outta that line

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    That's right. I stand corrected. Three passes. One missed wide open receiver so bad if he'd been flagged for intentional grounding it would have been legit. The other two drops were inexplicable. We seem to have to play so far above our competition to stay in games this season. The question is why. There's a reason and a great coach will figure it out before next season. The only game that we looked the less talented was LSU. The rest we "looked" bigger stronger faster. Coaching missed the mark this season. It happens! Let's get this train on the tracks.
    Shai threw the ball well enough to go 9/10 for 160+ yards, but letís pile on.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

8. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

9. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Let this sink in: Coach Lunsford and this staff has now won as many games in two seasons as Fritz did in his two seasons here (depending on whether you count the vacated ULM win in 2014) with still 1 game remaining. And with more roster limitations and arguably tougher conference schedule. I feel fine about this coaching staff going forward.
    That's great...I hope there's not a single coaching change for next year! I've been frustrated at times during the season but overall, this coaching staff and team has dealt with a lot of adversity and has handled it exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Vocal nincompoops help fund the program, they can’t be ignored completely.
    Nor should they be ignored completely. Everyone has a voice, but c’mon some of the criticism has been way over the top.